BANGKOK

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Encountered this problem yesterday.

BKB VISA card stopped working, got a new BKB Mastercard, no problems at all. Didn't work when I tried to book a room with AirBnB.

TMB VISA still works, so I thought I'd get get the TMB phone app and forget BKB. Passport numbers don't match.

Call into TMB, can only change passport number at original branch, drive to original branch, about 10 photocopies to sign.

These have to be posted to the main office and the change authorised, please call back next week to get you phone app working.

Only in Thailand eh?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Only in Thailand eh?

Noticed on my BKB phone app the new Mastercard daily spending limit was set at 0bht (why?).

Went along to the local Branch, and asked them why they had issued me a Debit card with a ZERO baht spending limit.

After 30 minutes of typing and phone calls to head office, my daily spending limit on the phone app reads 20,000bht.

I'm hoping it'll work now.

My negotiating skills weren't as good as CharlieH, I had to pay 400bht for the new Mastercard. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

banks love paper and signatures. there is, without doubt, a lot of paperwork involved when you want to do anything other than take money out or put money in, though even this can involve signing odd bits of paper. it has occurred to me many times the amount of paper being stored somewhere... though to give my local bank staff credit they needed to dig out the receipt for an international money transfer that had taken place months earlier and they produced the piece of paper extremely quickly. though it could probably have been done even quicker, and in a more environmentally friendly way, using technology.

• Like 1

I never use my K bank card in ATM's, I do all transactions on line.

A couple of days ago I purchased a product from Microsoft and had trouble getting payment through. I blamed that company, but later noticed about three unexplained deductions of 30 baht. Too small to cause concern, but puzzling.    

Perhaps it has something to do with this change.  I never received a letter from the bank, although I changed my address about 8 years ago and perhaps the bank doesn't have my updated one.  I, probably naively, thought the bank would communicate with me electronically.

I wonder about my chances of getting an updated card from the branch in Chalong Tesco where I have obtained my Immigration letters for years, or if I have to venture into the wilds of Patong where my original bank festers in the mire? 

Funny, i just got a new ATM card with a single signatures at KBANK but then i wanted bank statements to proof my address to an offshore entity.

And they print it out and and the street is missing and they just don't want to freaking understand that a proof of address needs to have the STREETNAME ON THERE.

After 1 hour of fiddling in their computer system and me not going away and insisting on it being done i was finally allowed to fix it myself in their goddamn computer, they simply couldn't comprehend that writing the street name after the house number was an easy fix that got me what i wanted.

What a giant waste of my time. Thanks for nothing kbank.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The problem is that all Thais have an ID card for life, the number of which never changes, and all systems are set up for this.

When a foreigner's passport number is used in an ID field there will always be problems down the line about no longer having the same passport number.

I went through exactly what you described just to use my bonus points at a Tops supermarket. Three times to date.

Best solution is to get a Thai ID card (pink, for foreigners) as that will give you your own 13 digit ID number for life.

But of course changing over to that for your accounts will involve some hoop jumping (and you will have to have the old passport with you).

Not true that the only way to do it is to close the account and open a new one, by the way, though this is what staff who don't know how to do it will try to tell you. At that point call the Bangkok customer service line and let them walk the staff through it.

Worth it in the long run.

They don't know how to change an ID number i the computer because the situation never arises with a Thai.

Sheryl has had better luck than I have had in Bangkok with regard to changing bank account from Passport Number to Pink ID card number. BBL, KBank an LH Bank all tell me "can not." I did report change of passport as they occurred. I will try again some day.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Sheryl has had better luck than I have had in Bangkok with regard to changing bank account from Passport Number to Pink ID card number. BBL, KBank an LH Bank all tell me "can not." I did report change of passport as they occurred. I will try again some day.

Yes, take it from me, it's so much fun!!!!!