Immigration's BMW smart cars out all over Thailand -  Thai house owners fined

webfact

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

But why does it have to be a BMW? Why not a basic Toyota with all the technology attached to it. Also, when these cars need maintenance and repairs, it costs a lot more compared to a locally made Toyota, etc. 

This is a huge waste of tax payers' money. 

The fines will pay up for it. But still agree, why foreign cars.

I spotted one of these BMW's at the Kalasin Imm Office last week.  It was parked up close to the building with a serious amount of cables running from the building to both under the bonnet but also to an aperture in the side of the BMW.  It looked like the umbilical to an Apollo launch?  I wonder if they are actually capable of launching missiles or drone attacks upon vicious over-stayers or nasty TM30 violators?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

They would have got a fleet discount regardless of who they purchased them from, making the cost still expensive compared to Toyota etc.

As for those saying they are manufactured here, no they are not, they are assembled here from imported parts and they do attract a higher tax due to this.

I can almost guarantee that each base car cost at least 1m THB more per unit than the equivalent Toyota or Honda, insurance costs are higher, tyres cost lots more due to runflats, they MAY have managed to get them with BSI, so servicing included for the first 3 years, depending of course on the KMs not exceeding the allowance.

To cap it all, having previously owned 3 BMW, they are not very reliable, lots of small issues.

Insurance? What insurance

1 hour ago, roquefort said:

That's what Europe's Jews thought..........until the Nazis came for them.

People even called those who left early and sold belongings for gold, paranoid and crazy. Conspiracy theorists. Well, they were many of the survivors too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

The fines will pay up for it. But still agree, why foreign cars.

Hahaha. You mean the fines will pay for the coppers in the BMW, that want to earn back their paid position money and salary additions. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Seriously though, what a horrible place this is becoming to live.

Encouraging people to call up and 'report' foreigners, cars creeping about surveilling foreigners, people that have foreigners living with them being investigated, fingerprints being taken on entry to the country, etc. 

I am used to it. I have a Thai man who stalks me every time I walk near my house. He literally rushes out and watches every move I make. I have a feeling he has contacted the police about me as I have seen them waiting near his area and talk to him as I walk past. Anyway, that is a different matter and I have written about it another posting.

But yes, we seem to be more and more unwelcome. I have heard Thais neighbours (who I get on well with) talk about reporting another foreigner who lives near us. I asked them why and they just answer that he is "suspicious". Maybe because he keeps to himself and doesn't talk to them like I do.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, petedk said:

I am used to it. I have a Thai man who stalks me every time I walk near my house. He literally rushes out and watches every move I make. I have a feeling he has contacted the police about me as I have seen them waiting near his area and talk to him as I walk past. Anyway, that is a different matter and I have written about it another posting.

But yes, we seem to be more and more unwelcome. I have heard Thais neighbours (who I get on well with) talk about reporting another foreigner who lives near us. I asked them why and they just answer that he is "suspicious". Maybe because he keeps to himself and doesn't talk to them like I do.

Me thinks that both of you are getting paranoid. Please talk to your thai family about your concerns.

First they came for the foreigners, but I was not a foreigner, so I did not complain ............ then they came for the Separatists,  I was not a separatist, so I did not complain..............then they came for people with the blue striped shirts.........

well it’s been just over 20 years ,

I believe this is my que. I’ve let my lease go, making arrangements to re patriate. I have personally witnessed greed,corruption, fraud on an international scale. Enough. It’s not fun anymore.

i believe the current virus ???? is by design. It’s just to good, both the timing and the pathology.. you can be infectious and not present fever. You must catch and quarantine 7 of 10, to stop the spread. Impossible.

via con Dios mi amigos. Chok Dee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The fines won't go anywhere near the budget for these cars and these bottom of the range BMW models are assembled in Rayong. 

Okay, didn't know that. Good thing though the investment stays (partly) in Thailand.

What a total waste of time, money and technology. Smart cars will do little to reduce serious crime and a lot to reinforce the growing feeling among expats and foreign residents that they are no longer welcome in the Land of Smiles.

A far better value-for-money idea would be use a fleet of boldly-marked police patrol smart cars - armed with radar guns and breathalysers - to reduce the carnage on Thailand's racetrack roads. 

Or does the current administration consider saving life and limb less important than p-ssing off "the falang"?

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Encouraging people to call up and 'report' foreigners, cars creeping about surveilling foreigners, people that have foreigners living with them being investigated, fingerprints being taken on entry to the country, etc. 

I agree, but its not a lot different for the Thais,

their government is keeping watching them too.

The UK is known as the surveillance state of

the world. Thailand is entering the modern age,

its the price of security. Soon we must expect

facial recognition and tracking in shops, bars in

any old soi near you.

13 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Now what was that place in Europe called where the locals where ask to snoop on a differing race to pack them off ???? 

Jebus ! What the duck is going on in this place, it’s ducking mental, seriously ducking mental. 

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

They're nowhere near B5m cars!

With scanners, computers, printers, roof camera etc the cost each car is 3,461,538

68 million thai people. Cost per car, per thai person = 0.05 baht (about)

260 cars total = 13 baht per thai person. (About)

5 year (+) use= 2.6 baht per year

900 million baht budget

OR

38 million foreigner one year. 23 baht per foreigner.

5 year (+) use the car = 4.73 baht per foreigner 

Full electric, no air pollution from car. (Maybe from electricity production) 

car made in Thailand. By Thai worker. 

If tax, government pay tax to government. = 0 baht Tax free. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Or does the current administration consider saving life and limb less important than p-ssing off "the falang"?

You think it about “the farang”? 

More Chinese, Malaysian tourist than “the farang”.

And 4-5 foreign worker, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos etc.

Calm down. You will be ok. Jai yen yen.

in the OP how many “farang” = 0

Edited by Yinn
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

What a total waste of time, money and technology. Smart cars will do little to reduce serious crime and a lot to reinforce the growing feeling among expats and foreign residents that they are no longer welcome in the Land of Smiles.

A far better value-for-money idea would be use a fleet of boldly-marked police patrol smart cars - armed with radar guns and breathalysers - to reduce the carnage on Thailand's racetrack roads. 

It all depends what type of smart cars you talking about.In Oz every cop car is a smart car

used for catching drivers without a license,no registration,drunk drivers,every thing is 

computerized, but using those in Thailand would be wasting money because the cops

can't collect tea money anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You think it about “the farang”? 

More Chinese, Malaysian tourist than “the farang”.

And 4-5 foreign worker, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos etc.

Calm down. You will be ok. Jai yen yen.

in the OP how many “farang” = 0

you have no idea, you expect Farangs to work on building sites for peanuts ? And where do all

the viruses come from? 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

It all depends what type of smart cars you talking about.In Oz every cop car is a smart car

used for catching drivers without a license,no registration,drunk drivers

How the smart car know if drunk driver?