U.S. Supreme Court lets hardline Trump immigration policy take effect

webfact

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

My husband came to the USA legally. He was told that if he uses government assistance such as welfare, it would seriously jeopardize his ability to continue to reside here. This is the reason many Latinos support Trump to the disbelief of the left. They resent that there are rules for people who do the right thing and those who feel that crossing illegally into the USA is their God given right.

and how would you feel if (while waiting) somebody with more money paid "people smuggles" just to get ahead of you?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, webfact said:

The administration has said the new rule is necessary to better ensure that immigrants will be self-sufficient. Critics have said the rule would disproportionately bar low-income people from developing countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia from permanent residency.

It seems to me, an immigration law that bars anyone who is a first generation immigrant from public assistance would make more sense.  Look at Thailand.  They require for both Marriage and Retirement extensions a minimum deposit in the bank or minimum monthly transfer. And that is just for an extension of stay, not permanent residency.  

16 hours ago, Tug said:

We do need immigration reform but not taking toddlers away from their mommies locking people up in prisons and doing everything possible short of shooting them for trying as usual trumps ideas don’t reflect American ideals and are inhumain

Are you speaking up in Thailand so there is a Thai dream too equal to that of the 'American dream' that you claim is there for every soul on the planet? Thailand is all about money. You are literally an unequal citizen by law if you enter Thailand. I'll cheer on your effort to make Thailand as great as America!

21 hours ago, atyclb said:

so much for the dream that all supreme court judges are apolitical

Not like the lower courts and district courts are when they rule agreeing with your ideology, yeh? 

When rbg is replaced with another trump appointed judge, I wonder what stories and smears they will try to invent this time.......... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Seems like an episode from The West Wing. The Supreme Court divided along party lines. 

Such differences in interpretation of the law. Is it, or is it not Constitutional?

Of course it's constitutional. The executive branch sets immigration policy, while the lobbyists and congress tries to undermine it. 

25 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Are you speaking up in Thailand so there is a Thai dream too equal to that of the 'American dream' that you claim is there for every soul on the planet? Thailand is all about money. You are literally an unequal citizen by law if you enter Thailand. I'll cheer on your effort to make Thailand as great as America!

So...you are actually equating the USA (the self proclamied "greatest democracy on Earth") and their stance on immigration, with Thailand, an inherrently xenophobic nation under the rule of the military and the elites!

And you actually try to hold both countries to the same standard!

Okay...got it!

:passifier:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tug said:

We do need immigration reform but not taking toddlers away from their mommies locking people up in prisons and doing everything possible short of shooting them for trying as usual trumps ideas don’t reflect American ideals and are inhumain

...not taking toddlers away from their mommies...

as has been posted before:

Sad situation indeed and while toddlers are innocent, the question can be asked about their "mommies" who willingly put them in that situation, expecting America to fix their problem.

Putting children in potential danger may be even classified as a form of child abuse. Not nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

So...you are actually equating the USA (the self proclamied "greatest democracy on Earth") and their stance on immigration, with Thailand, an inherrently xenophobic nation under the rule of the military and the elites!

And you actually try to hold both countries to the same standard!

Okay...got it!

:passifier:

You sort of answered my question. I know the difference and I feel as you do about the reasons. Do you really think its the Thai oppressed who get into the US? It's mostly the sons and daughters or supporters of the people who control everything who take that extra citizenship. They are the ones who get access from the embassy. With more than 5,000 Thais getting US citizenship each year, it's pretty clear the US is one of the top if not the most generous nation on the planet with letting people in. And on top of the legal entries,no doubt many more than 5k Thais overstay and live illegally in the US each year.

It would be nice if Thailand were so open to average Americans. I'd guess that idea people have of the US having some sort of duty to the world's people to let them in was created by people who aren't Americans. It all seems to connect to that inscription by the French on the Statue.  Anyways, there really is no obligation open the door in the constitution and times change.