Pattaya TAT: Never mind about the Chinese for the next few months - We've got the Indians and Russians!

webfact

On 1/29/2020 at 7:54 AM, jacko45k said:

Just seen on TV how many Wuhan tourists come to Thailand, 22000 in January alone.......six Chinese nationals arrived found to be infected, arriving from Hubei province. No mention of the fellow passengers!

All arrivals from China are being screened.

Previously only passenger from Wuhan, Guangzhou and Changchun were being screened.... surprised they were even being allowed to travel! 

Rayong Malls had a good few bus loads a few days ago. Friends wife was telling us the restaurants in the Malls ( no names, no pack drill ) were busy with them.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Rayong Malls had a good few bus loads a few days ago. Friends wife was telling us the restaurants in the Malls ( no names, no pack drill ) were busy with them.

Not sure what you mean by no names, no pack drill.

Surprised you are still seeing them, I thought China had stopped all the tours, and surely Thailand should!

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure what you mean by no names, no pack drill.

Surprised you are still seeing them, I thought China had stopped all the tours, and surely Thailand should!

Don't want name the locations.

or names of the places. Maybe tour groups from places not under lock down coming through border crossings and onward by bus??

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

yes, like Korea and Japan.  ????

In all honesty I am not sure if chinese tourists from non locked down areas are still coming in by air or not.

Too many reports saying yes/no.

What is the situation?

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The new "tours" seem to be flight+Chinese illegally owned hotels+Chinese illegal guides. That's your "FIT" tourists, just about as independent as a felon with an ankle bracelet.

In effect everything paid to Chinese owned or Chinese companies from China. It's the new logical iteration of the zero dollar tours and it's being allowed to run because .. take a guess.

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

In effect everything paid to Chinese owned or Chinese companies from China. It's the new logical iteration of the zero dollar tours and it's being allowed to run because .. take a guess.

And now with no daily rental on condo enforcement, "zero baht tourist" has gone sub-zero.  This even cuts out hotel's revenue from them.  

This is really going to hurt tourism. What the authorities do not seem to get is that quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. All it needs now is a spread of this virus. It could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. And putting all of your eggs in one basked, as they did here with the Chinese, was both desperate and inane. Certainly no visionary minds involved in that plan. 

Why take a chance? Who can trust the Thai authorities, and what they say? Why trust them? What have they done to earn that trust? And how many flights from China, are still coming into Thailand daily? That is a scary thought. I like the Chinese people, but do not want to be anywhere near them right now! My guess is that the majority of the world feels that way, and tourists have alot of choices. The last thing in the world a tourist wants out of their trip is a potentially deadly disease, or being quarantined. 

So, the hapless TAT is now dependent almost entirely on India, with a little help from Russia. About time Russia helped another nation! 

On 1/28/2020 at 3:12 PM, remifr said:

Just witnessed 3 indian guys bargaining for more or less 10 minutes at a mango shop on Pattaya Klang. They wanted to buy 1 single mango for 40 bahts instead of 50 bahts.

But they spend much more than chinese so it's fine, Thailand is saved.

No you didn't. That said my wife bought a kilo of fresh crab from the fishermen at the end of Jomtien prom which are normally thronged with Chinese and go for 400 baht in good times. And pre-packaged durian seems to be half pice from the pavement vendors.