Cost of Living in Thailand

7 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I am from the USA and the cost of living in many parts of the USA is lower than Thailand. You can buy a nicer home in most of Texas for the same money. The cost of food here in Thailand is substantially higher with less selection. The only thing cheaper in Thailand is labor. Haircuts, taxi, plumber, gardener ect. 

For me local services and public transport (which is a local service anyway though requiring bigger investments) are cheaper than in most parts of Europe. Eating out is somewhat cheaper mostly, but not by much, and depends on where to go. Rents can be cheaper but then again the quality of housing isn't the same so you get what you pay for. What bothers me most are the supermarkets that are worse quality but cost the same or have ridiculous prices for imported products. Generally I do not find Thailand a bargain at all although it is possible to live on a low budget but it requires one to go local in many ways. The place has still some pros though, so far...

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, Don Mega said:

Is that down near Siri Anan tyre shop ?.... thats closer to Laem Chabang than Pattaya !!

It Is not far from the Banglamung Poliace Station can almost walk to the police staion . you do not know Pattaya very well , it is Soi 15 Sukhmvit Rd, Laem Chabang is a long way north.  

15 minutes ago, merlen10002 said:

It Is not far from the Banglamung Poliace Station can almost walk to the police staion . you do not know Pattaya very well , it is Soi 15 Sukhmvit Rd, Laem Chabang is a long way north.  

Yeah a quick check of google maps tell me the soi I thought that was suk 15 is actually called banglamung 15.... amusingly though when I search for Sukhumvit 15 there is a Siri Anan shop across the road !!

siri.jpg

On 2/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, topt said:

Agreed. Anything 25 minutes drive to Pattaya Klang to me is outside Pattaya. 

Where is that. It looks like a house in Baan Natcha - is it?

It is off Soi 16 Nakluea, small Soi with no name, I am sure some self appointed TV know everything know nothing expert with come on and tell you it is near Bangkok or something , I have walked to Tesco on Pattaya North Rd ,  it still takes 15 minutes to drive there. it can take you 30 minutes or more sometimes to drive down Beach Rd, or up 3rd Road. 

8 minutes ago, merlen10002 said:

It is off Soi 16 Nakluea, small Soi with no name, I am sure some self appointed TV know everything know nothing expert with come on and tell you it is near Bangkok or something , I have walked to Tesco on Pattaya North Rd ,  it still takes 15 minutes to drive there. it can take you 30 minutes or more sometimes to drive down Beach Rd, or up 3rd Road. 

Thanks - must have been the same developer (Patta) as your pic is pretty much an identical design to the smaller houses in the village I mentioned.

On 2/1/2020 at 6:57 AM, CygnusX1 said:

It seems that you’ve concluded that because Spain has cheaper supermarkets and toiletries, it’s cheaper overall, despite Thailand having cheaper rents, fuel, electricity and water. You must use an extraordinary amount of toiletries!

I don't know about you, but I spend 2-3 times more on food than on rent, fuel electricity and water - which by the way is not that much more expensive in Spain.

Also: top medical care, extremely affordable, unlike in Thailand when you're older.

7 minutes ago, Bullie said:

I don't know about you, but I spend 2-3 times more on food than on rent, fuel electricity and water - which by the way is not that much more expensive in Spain.

Also: top medical care, extremely affordable, unlike in Thailand when you're older.

Why not tell us how much your Spanish rent is?

I'm paying 11kbht for a modern 3 bedroom house near Chiang Mai.

I've never found any cheap property rentals in Spain.

Odd how all the posters saying this or that country is cheaper than Thailand are always a bit shy with the details.

Edited by BritManToo

On 1/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, mstevens said:

If you're willing to lead a lifestyle like a local which might mean pretty basic accommodation, not own a vehicle and eat in some modest outlets, you can live for not a lot of money in Thailand. If you wish to live a similar lifestyle in Thailand as you do at home with a property built to Western standards, your own vehicle, eat similar food to home, then it might cost around the same as it would at home, or possibly even more than it would in your own country.

I think the great thing about Thailand is that there is a lifestyle for all budgets. If you have a small amount of money / low local salary / small pension you can still have a semblance of a life. And if you're wealthy / on a high income then you can live high on the hog. It's up to you!

well i live the same lifestyle i did in the UK ,car ,detached 3 bed house with garden ,and all the things i used to do ,much cheaper here on the outskirts of Pattaya.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...