Thermal scanners being used at Suvarnabhumi, say officials, in reaction to public worries

webfact

Thermal scanners being used at Suvarnabhumi, say officials, in reaction to public worries

By THE NATION

800_b6418486ccdb77f.jpg?v=1580181311

Authorities have assured concerned netizens that all passengers entering the airport from China have to go through screening gates.

They were reacting to posts by netizens that thermal scanners had not been deployed at the airport.

Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of Department of Disease Control (DDC) and Kittiphong Kittikhajorn, deputy director of operations at Suvarnabhumi Airport, made a joint statement that all inbound passengers must pass through the screening gates equipped with universal thermoscanners.

“The scanners are fitted on the poles near the walkway leading to the gates and some people may not notice them,” added Kittiphong.

He added that the airport and the DDC have established intensive passenger-screening checkpoints in the red zone or airplane bay No 4, which received passengers from Guangzhou and other cities of China.

“The thermal scanners fitted at inbound screening gates will detect if any passenger has body temperature above 38 degrees Celsius,” said Kittiphong. “The screening process comprises two steps: a group scan to find the average body temperature of passengers in a group of 10 from the same aeroplane, followed by an individual scan when passengers walk through the gate. Anyone having fever will trigger the alarm and they will be displayed with a red dot on the monitor.”

Suwanchai added that medical staff will then separate the passenger from the others and bring them to a special quarantine clinic at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute, without passing through ordinary immigration process to limit their exposure to other passengers and staff.

“The universal thermoscan infrared camera was fitted at three points of inbound-passenger screening gates at Suvarnabhumi Airport three years ago, immediately after the Ebola outbreak,” said Kittiphong. “The cameras work continuously 24 hours a day and are monitored by the staff of the airport, Immigration Office and the DDC.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381165

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-28

Useless as it takes about 3 days:

Coronaviruses invade the respiratory tract via the nose. After an incubation period of about 3 days, they cause the symptoms of a common cold, including nasal obstruction, sneezing, runny nose, and occasionally cough.

The above said it is being spread around to the masses as I type, but I must not forget the Prime Minister said he has it and other things under control 100%.

China should have advised the WHO at the beginning of December when they knew about it, not the end of December, SARS 2002-2003 all over again, 800 deaths then.

The WHO should have shut CHINA down as soon as they found out, that said, if they don't shut all flights out of China soon, it will be far worse than SARS ever was.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2CY5jFGa_Xl3d0BKAARqrW0RPh0FygFNHilpPq6V8fNuVz9bzSTh5J5EU#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There are reports the virus can spread asymptomatic, cameras won't pick those. Best solution: barricade yourself at home. Next best: close the Chinese borders and avoid them at all costs. 

However it's very likely the virus is already spreading within Thailand. Arrivals from Wuhan came uninhibited for days.

Exactly, thermal scanning is a half measure. This virus is quickly making its way through the World population as I type. 

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The WHO should have shut CHINA down as soon as they found out, that said, if they don't shut all flights out of China soon, it will be far worse than SARS ever was.

They seem to be a bit slow about it. There are daily reports though: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/ . Problem is they have to rely on data from the Chinese.

Capture.JPG.484c28d8df61bd26f89d48531d73d845.JPG

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Yasobill said:

Exactly, thermal scanning is a half measure. This virus is quickly making its way through the World population as I type. 

Exactly, currently 5578 infected, 131 deaths, and 107 recovered.

Are we to believe that the 131 deaths are those that were weak, i.e. old, had pre-existing conditions, or young etc etc etc, the only news that I read of anyone who died with an age was of a person aged 50 in Beijing.

Why aren't they telling us who is dying, ages, sex, would help, and of the 5,578 infected, what ages are they and what is there current statuses, apart from telling us they are infected, are they getting better/worse etc etc or is that too much information to be passed on to the general public.

If I am not mistaken Thailand mentioned earlier on that they had 8 infected, now (14), but when they reported 8, they said 5 got better, were released and went back to China, if you can believe that, I mean why are they still reported 14 if 5 went back ? 

I think it's worse than what they are telling us, you know feed the public some information, not all, as we don't want them to panic ?

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If I am not mistaken Thailand mentioned earlier on that they had 8 infected, now (14), but when they reported 8, they said 5 got better, were released and went back to China, if you can believe that, I mean why are they still reported 14 if 5 went back ? 

And why is the official recovery number so much lower than the impressive 62.5% of Thailand ?

At the time I'm writing this China has officially announced only 104 recoveries for almost 6000 cases detected.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Exactly, currently 5578 infected, 131 deaths, and 107 recovered.

Are we to believe that the 131 deaths are those that were weak, i.e. old, had pre-existing conditions, or young etc etc etc, the only news that I read of anyone who died with an age was of a person aged 50 in Beijing.

Why aren't they telling us who is dying, ages, sex, would help, and of the 5,578 infected, what ages are they and what is there current statuses, apart from telling us they are infected, are they getting better/worse etc etc or is that too much information to be passed on to the general public.

I think it's worse than what they are telling us, you know feed the public some information, not all, as we don't want them to panic ?

I think people are over reacting, its a storm in a teacup.

Sure if your an OAP with bad health your art risk, if your relatively young and strong your not. The death rate is really low. Just for some information  8.200 people died from the normal flue last season. 

This is not good but its not really that dangerous either. Just my opinion not a medical professional in any way just someone who likes facts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think people are over reacting, its a storm in a teacup.

Sure if your an OAP with bad health your art risk, if your relatively young and strong your not. The death rate is really low. Just for some information  8.200 people died from the normal flue last season. 

This is not good but its not really that dangerous either. Just my opinion not a medical professional in any way just someone who likes facts.

I think it's all about keeping those infected contained, let them out and about without a vaccination and you have the spread, multiply that by the hundreds of millions of old, those with pre-existing conditions and the young children and you will see that figure of 8,200 adding a couple of zero's to it.

I'm no expert either, but commonsense has to say keep the spread contained until they know more about it and more so have a vaccination for it.

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think it's all about keeping those infected contained, let them out and about without a vaccination and you have the spread, multiply that by the hundreds of millions of old, those with pre-existing conditions and the young children and you will see that figure of 8,200 adding a couple of zero's to it.

I'm no expert either, but commonsense has to say keep the spread contained until they know more about it and more so have a vaccination for it.

There is no vaccination for flue still we let people travel.

I just dont think its this dangerous the death rate is too low. But sure contain it but its not like this is sars or eboloa. This is relatively minor. Still its good to have this to test for when it is serious.

Again just my opinion nothing more.