BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand’s popularity dips in Europe

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

How do they know how much each tourist spends ?

FX.

Crikey a lot of hate on this thread. If you read some of the digital nomad / backpackers sites elsewhere (they never seem to come here much except for the usual I've just got busted with a bag of weed at the Full Moon Party threads - I wonder why ?) they still see this as a good place to come along with its neighbours as part their lifetime adventures. That said I and the missus have had more than enough just not feeling the love any more for reasons mentioned here and in all conscience can't recommend it to family and friends anymore. 

43 minutes ago, Henryford said:

How do they know how much each tourist spends ?

Surveys at the airport,I used to asked occasionally and said yes one time.

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I just do not understand this....Thailand has been bending over backwards to make westerners and expats feel welcome for years....lol

I agree!

It would be good if the government (generals, bureaucrats, police, Immigration) remembered that the westerners living here pass on their experiences to friends and family back home, who pass the information on to their friends, who tell their friends ...

First hand experiences beat self-serving advertising every time!

• Like 1

Visa is the major issues..  European are not welcome.... malaysia better Cambodia great.. I sold 2 condos moved money here and live without visa issue here in Malaysia.. 3 month and  never pay a cents... no paperwork no TM30. No question asked..... I will never ever recomend Thailand ..never...

• Like 2

I am not surprised that Thailand is waning in popularity for Europeans., Plenty of nice holiday spots in Europe itself, which contains some of the most popular tourist destination countries in the world.

France normally ranked no.1 followed by Spain at no. 2, Italy no. 5, UK in the Top ten somewhere.

Spain in particular a far more destination for Brits.

Shorter cheaper flights, many other costs either similar or lower.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, seasia said:

I am not surprised that Thailand is waning in popularity for Europeans., Plenty of nice holiday spots in Europe itself, which contains some of the most popular tourist destination countries in the world.

France normally ranked no.1 followed by Spain at no. 2, Italy no. 5, UK in the Top ten somewhere.

Spain in particular a far more destination for Brits.

Shorter cheaper flights, many other costs either similar or lower.

Many islands to visit in the Med 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Yes, Khmers, Lao and Burmese love working there and taking their earnings home! 

a bit like the UK then with brexit,

1 hour ago, New beginnings said:

After 8 years in Chiangmai, whilst I could avoid the poor air quality by flying down south for 3 months during the burning season each year, the changes in immigration procedures proved to be the final straw. The anti farang feeling, not by the locals but officialdom, coupled with TM30 and 90 day reporting and, goodness knows, what will come next. Anyway moved to Siem Reap last November and have no regrets. I know Thailand will not miss me but family and friends will also not be visiting Thailand anymore as they to can also see the changes in attitude and primarily come to visit me. Indeed friends visiting next week and looking forward to a enjoyable holiday together in Cambodia, my new home.

you hit the Nail on the head, Vietnam is more welcoming too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

According to the OP tourism isn't anywhere near 'devastated' let alone down.

But the facts are it is way down, and approaching devastation. Just look around. This is high season. Everywhere i look, and everyone i talk to says the same thing. It is big hurt time. Thailand is facing a tragedy, and there is not enough vision for them to see it, or do anything to prevent it.

How do they possibly get  the amount spent  number? And by group? 

They do get my passport at the exchange booths so they know how much I exchanged I guess.   Do they actually use the exchange data?  I guess they  must.