BANGKOK
xylophone

Bangkok Phuket International Hospital charges

Capitalism - a double-edged sword.

It provides the man on the street with the financial means to then get screwed!

• Haha 1

You seem to have combined the names of Bangkok Phuket hospital and Phuket international hospital in your thread title.

Both the same chain, but different pricing and services.

The former International hospital has had a name change.

It is now the Bangkok Hospital Siriroj -Phuket, although the name Phuket International Hospital will no doubt linger for some time.

You can't see a doctor in one of these chain of hospitals without the mandatory checking of BP, temp and blood oxygen. The small cost of these checks help pays for the fleet of nurses.

I no longer get my medications from the hospital instead buy from Supercheap or I get a reli to buy them from pharmacies in Bangkok. If you know what is required don't let the doctor prescribe inhouse meds.

Bangkok Hospital Phuket has a 7-11, a family Mart and a coffee Pot outlet on the premises, all well populated by the staff and customers. Recently, one of the nurses I'm friendly with gave me a tub of Maccas mash potatoes and gravy from her large bag of lunch supplies for the ladies.

The café, incorporated into the canteen, sells some pretty wicked cream cakes.  

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

The also charge an additional 100b PER medicine prescribed. I always get the medicine list and go to Santi in Phuket T. for about 70% to 150% less.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The former International hospital has had a name change.

It is now the Bangkok Hospital Siriroj -Phuket, although the name Phuket International Hospital will no doubt linger for some time.

You can't see a doctor in one of these chain of hospitals without the mandatory checking of BP, temp and blood oxygen. The small cost of these checks help pays for the fleet of nurses.

I no longer get my medications from the hospital instead buy from Supercheap or I get a reli to buy them from pharmacies in Bangkok. If you know what is required don't let the doctor prescribe inhouse meds.

Bangkok Hospital Phuket has a 7-11, a family Mart and a coffee Pot outlet on the premises, all well populated by the staff and customers. Recently, one of the nurses I'm friendly with gave me a tub of Maccas mash potatoes and gravy from her large bag of lunch supplies for the ladies.

The café, incorporated into the canteen, sells some pretty wicked cream cakes.  

Thanks OC, as I wasn't quite sure what the name was these days, although I did know it had been taken over by the "Bangkok group".

The mandatory checking of blood pressure etc by this group is a con because the test is not carried out as per the recommended procedure for such a test, so the result is meaningless.

Furthermore on one particular occasion I had a blood pressure reading that was off the scale (190/95 or thereabouts as I recall) so all the nurse did was to write it on the form and everything carried on as per normal with no mention of this very high blood pressure – – so what's the use of taking it?

Like you, I usually converse with the doctor to enable me to buy the meds elsewhere, but on this occasion I didn't as I thought that a small tube of cream wouldn't be worth the effort, nor really would it have been, but the markup!!!!!! 

And as for the Dunkin' Donuts outlet in the middle of the hospital, outside of where people wait to pay their bills, well that really does prove that the hospital is focused on making money, and to have magazines there about healthy living and eschewing junk foods is a joke!! 

definitely worth waiting a bit longer at mission to avoid giving more money to this group.

• Like 1

I've recorded high BP readings when being checked just after arrival when still hot and bothered from getting there. I've asked for a second reading after a short wait and had a significant drop in the figure.

I figure the tests don't hurt, and could conceivably pick up problems of which I'm unaware so don't bemoan the small cost. 

It's the mark-up on drugs where they really rip you off!

9 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

definitely worth waiting a bit longer at mission to avoid giving more money to this group.

Worth it for some, but I'd pay to avoid waiting for anything.

I've stated before, in a different thread, that I'd pay as much as 1000 baht for fast tracking at the airport to avoid hours in queues.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I figure the tests don't hurt, and could conceivably pick up problems of which I'm unaware

How can a blood pressure reading taken at a random time pick up any problems? As you said, it changed considerably between the two procedures.

Your BP varies from minute to minute depending on what you've been doing, driving, climbing stairs, cuppa coffee, white-coat syndrome, it is usually higher in the morning, it should always be taken with an empty bladder etc etc.

The only way to pick-up any potential problem is to take it yourself every morning and evening, keep the readings in a phone app which then averages the readings over a period of time. Tell that average to the hospital nurses, they will usually accept it. Same with your weight which can vary by 1kg if you go to the toilet before weighing. And as for why they measure your height......

Edited by stouricks

7 minutes ago, stouricks said:

How can a blood pressure reading taken at a random time pick up any problems?

Your BP varies from minute to minute depending on what you've been doing, driving, climbing stairs, cuppa coffee, white-coat syndrome, it is usually higher in the morning, it should always be taken with an empty bladder etc etc.

The only way to pick-up any potential problem is to take it yourself every morning and evening, keep the readings in a phone app which then averages the readings over a period of time. Tell that average to the hospital nurses, they will usually accept it. Same with your weight which can vary by 1kg if you go to the toilet before weighing. And as for why they measure your height......

Perhaps if you read my post a little better you would see I mentioned tests (plural),  I was mainly thinking about the temperature test and how it may pick up something like a virus. Low blood oxygen can also have very serious consequences. Mine is often near the problem low reading. My heart rate is also low, usually in the high 40's.

As someone who suffers edema the weight variances are also important.

I do cause confusion when I tell them my height is about 4 1/2 feet, because of my wheelchair status.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps if you read my post a little better you would see I mentioned tests (plural),  I was mainly thinking about the temperature test and how it may pick up something like a virus. Low blood oxygen can also have very serious consequences. Mine is often near the problem low reading. My heart rate is also low, usually in the 40's.

Sorry I missed the plural of test.

3 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Sorry I missed the plural of test.

Read again, I was still editing.🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I've recorded high BP readings when being checked just after arrival when still hot and bothered from getting there. I've asked for a second reading after a short wait and had a significant drop in the figure.

I figure the tests don't hurt, and could conceivably pick up problems of which I'm unaware so don't bemoan the small cost. 

It's the mark-up on drugs where they really rip you off!

Agree, the tests don't hurt, but again, they are pointless because nothing is done about them and anyway they are incorrect.

A few times I have told them that I don't want the tests, but I still get charged for them, so that proves it's not about health, but about money.........along with the huge markup on drugs and inclusion of the likes of Dunkin' Donuts inside the hospital.

By all means charge me for a test/series of tests which mean something to me and my health, and I have no problem, but this façade is an insult to my intelligence.

• Like 1

Agreed !!!! I had this exact same problem at Dibuk Hospital last month(A branch of Bangkok)

-I Split my head open on an electricity box

- I was working so I had insurance, which covered me for the first 5200 something like that.

-I was ordered to go back for cleaning the wound ....3 times.... The first time cleaning was covered by insurance and looking at the receipt only 200 baht total

-I skipped 2nd cleaning appointment. Just to turn up at the third one. They try to charge me 700 baht for the exact same cleaning.

-Was very angry so took it up with a manager. Their excuse was "Because you had insurance prices are lower🙄"..........On the receipt they were charging me for IV Fluid????? 64 units of IV fluid....didn't make any sense and they trying to extort as much money from you as possible

-Mission hospital in comparison I think is fantastic hospital. Always go there

-Don't go to Vachira hospital either.....They will overcharge westerners ....they will send you to the foreign clinic

• Like 2