Kofta recipe - super easy

SteveK

These turn out better over an actual fire....plus dont be shy to add some more spice:

cayenne, clove powder, mace powder, cardamom powder etc

Im also surprised the flimsy bamboo slivers can take the weight...I would imagine nice 

broad metal skewers would be nice...

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

These turn out better over an actual fire....plus dont be shy to add some more spice:

cayenne, clove powder, mace powder, cardamom powder etc

Problem is they have a tendency to disintegrate on the BBQ.

kofta using pork?...an interesting concept as it's a middle eastern/persian dish and pork is haram...I've tried making kofta using the frozen ground beef from makro but it has too much fat...and yeah you can use an egg as a binder, also some bread crumbs sorta like meatloaf with some spices and chiles added as in the OP's recipe...cooked the same way as meatloaf without the skewers...

13 hours ago, SteveK said:

Only place I have found where I can get lamb is online delivery and it's so expensive it's stupid.

Hi SteveK, obviously I don't know where you are located. We are a little out from Pattaya, we have minced lamb available in Big C Extra, I think that I have also seen it in Macro (but not 100% sure). Yes I am sure that it is more expensive than pork because it is imported from Australia, however, it might be cheaper than the offerings on-line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:47 AM, AlQaholic said:

Swedish meatballs...

those weren't the balls, they were the other part. ???? 

ETA: OP- have seen lamb for sale at some macros and a few foodlands. you could get the chops and grind it yourself if you have a meat grinder.

Had rack of lamb at sofitel in hua hin. the "chef" destroyed it. was as chewy as jerky.

Edited by mrwebb8825

swedish meat balls use a mixture of ground beef and pork and very tasty if a bit rich...

ground meats are versatile and can be used for almost anything...thais don't eat much goat although it's available at the local market occasionally, they're big on the pork, chicken and fish like most 3rd world places, we get ours outta the klong and a BiL has a harpoon and net arrangement...the local beef ain't worth mentioning...even with grinding...needa go to the frozen meat section at makro for the AUS and NZ stuff...

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Becasue it makes things tasty.

people say the same thing about Salt...

- to me Salt makes it taste more of Salt

Mum used to say the same thing about Butter

- to me it made the meal taste more of butter 

Just now, tifino said:

people say the same thing about Salt...

- to me Salt makes it taste more of Salt

Mum used to say the same thing about Butter

- to me it made the meal taste more of butter 

Different. MSG has no taste.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:26 AM, SteveK said:

Soak your wooden kebab skewers in water for at least 20 minutes so they don't burn in your grill/oven/bbq.

A great recipe  , thank you for sharing, though I would agree with others and add an egg, and a bit of breadcrumbs, the breadcrumbs would not only change the consistency a bit but also absorb some of the spices and add to the taste .    I also add finely chopped onions and mint leaves. 

I use the skewers when done on a grill for keeping them together and flipping them over ,(they are arroy mak mak on one of those clay Thai barbeques over wood coals  ) but find them unnecessary when broiling in the oven, 

IMO They go great with a Tzatziki Sauce!!

• Like 1