UK/Schengen Visa for Thai GF

I know this has probably been asked a million times before but would really appreciate some up to date advice on getting my Thai GF a Visa to visit UK and/or Europe.

Long story short I've lived in SE Asia for 12 years & my parents come out to visit me for one month every year but mum has recently been diagnosed with COPD so the humidity & bad air quality here makes that a none starter this year.

GF is a "Normal Girl" who has recently quit her job (at my request because I want us to go travel), 34 (I'm 53) will be fully supported (by me) during our time there.

I would be grateful for any tips about the best way to go about getting her visa(s) (In an ideal world we'd go to UK for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks in Portugal or Spain then 2 weeks in UK before coming back home) & recommendations for (Bangkok based) Agents who might be able to make this easier for us (I want everything to be above board, not interested in paying any form of "Back Hander")

Thanks Guys 

Get the UK visa first (explain the need for at least 2 entries because of intends to visit the main land for a bit). After that has been approved,  apply for a Schengen visa at the Portuguese or Spanish embassy.  The sticky topics at the top should help you out a fair amount. Note that the Schengen rules will see minor changes per 2-2-20 (higher fee, can apply 6 months in advance,  no right to apply at the embassy anymore so VFS Global can be forced at the go to point for regular applications).

The main thing you will need to show the uk authorities when you apply for the visa is that she needs to return to thailand, so quitting the job before applying was probably not the best idea. When friends have applied before, a letter from the employer stating that she has vacation from X to Y and that she is due back to work on Y date was really useful. The other things are to show a genuine relationship between the two of you, and that you also have a genuine need to return to thailand. The other suggestion is to do the application yourself and not use an agent, and give more documents than they ask - so if they want 3 months of bank statements give them 6 etc

best of luck and have a great trip 

11 hours ago, fishtank said:

UK wont even be a part of Europe next week sadly.

She needs a UK Visa and a Schengen Visa.

As far as I know the UK Visa is valid for 6 months so would be ok for 2 visits.

I believe the actual Bexit departure will take another 10-12 months to complete the logistics and put it into full effect.

Hi Mike, I got UK visitor visa for my Filipina gf, who had no job, no house and on paper could not demonstrate links to the Philippines.

I went to see a UK lawyer, and he advised to tell the truth, never to lie. 

We did, and made sure to show accounts of my business going back for six months, as well as personal funds. I think that was the crucial part. UK authorities could see there was no risk of my gf being a burden to the UK taxpayer.

In addition I did a cover letter where I gave a personal undertaking to ensure that she will leave the UK and return to Phil on expiry of the visa term. It wouldn't hurt to do a letter.

Against my expectations we got the visa.

25 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

I believe the actual Bexit departure will take another 10-12 months to complete the logistics and put it into full effect.

The UK leaves the EU at midnight Brussels time but there is then axtransition period ending on 31 December 2020. During transition travelling between the UK and EU, or to the Eu from Thailand will remain the same for British citizens. Your GF will need a visa for the UK and one for the EU .

2 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

be honest,  get letters of invitation.  send in photos of you going back as far as you can.  get married..  any property show that also.   funds, itinerary.  You can do it yourself but Agents do and can help if they are registered.

Photos not required now.

13 hours ago, fishtank said:

UK wont even be a part of Europe next week sadly.

She needs a UK Visa and a Schengen Visa.

As far as I know the UK Visa is valid for 6 months so would be ok for 2 visits.

Whats Brexit got to do with it. Two Visas were always needed for UK & Schengen. You must ask UK for multi-entry visa, and Schengen just in case of plan changes.

21 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I would be grateful for any tips about the best way to go about getting her visa(s) (In an ideal world we'd go to UK for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks in Portugal or Spain then 2 weeks in UK before coming back home)...

You need two visas, one for UK – which has to be multiple entry if not default coming as that – and another for Schengen, as UK is not member of the Schengen area (remaining EU plus a few more countries).

I'm from a Schengen country, and my experience is a few years back, but the general lines are probably unchanged. I had my Thai GF visiting both Schengen on multiple entry, and a trip from there to UK. Later we have been visiting Schengen (only) as tourists, after I moved permanently out.

You apply for UK visa at the embassy's appointed visa-office in Bangkok. We easily had a 6-month tourists visa (applied for a week only) for my GF; if you're British and make it as an invitation, the rules will be different and might require proof of your finances, and that you have enough room for a visitor to stay. I found all information in the British embassy in Bangkok's homepage.

In general for both UK and Schengen, the applicant shall prove that he/she will return to the home country; i.e. has more affiliation than staying abroad.

For a Schengen tourist visa your GF should normally apply for it by the country of entry – Portugal? – or the country for the longest stay. Your GF shall apply at that country's embassy, or visa-office, in Thailand, normally in Bangkok.

In my case, or rather my GF's case as tourist, a full agenda was asked for, proof of accommodation, i.e. hotel bookings, return flight ticket (or tickets in and out), and travel insurance. My Nordic country also claimed proof of prepaid accommodation/hotel reservations. Furthermore they wished to see that the applicant had funds for travelling, often copy of bankbook in applicants name with a reasonable amount of money, could also be a shared account, and/or proof of income; proof of affiliation in form of employment contract, registration as business owner, or like, was also needed.

You should check either Portugal's or Spain's embassies' homepages, or their foreign ministries' homepages, to find out exactly what they need of documentation for a tourist visa. In general all Schengen countries should ask for the same, as a Schengen visa is entry to, and free movement within the whole region for up to a three month stay.

????

5 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

be honest,  get letters of invitation.  send in photos of you going back as far as you can.  get married..  any property show that also.   funds, itinerary.  You can do it yourself but Agents do and can help if they are registered.

Yes, of course be honest but don't send photos as applicants are advised not to send them, decision makers are instructed to ignore any that are sent.
A decent agent can certainly advise if the applicant is unsure of the process, there is no registration of agents in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

In my case, or rather my GF's case as tourist, a full agenda was asked for, proof of accommodation, i.e. hotel bookings, return flight ticket (or tickets in and out), and travel insurance.

Just spoken with BFS, the office who do the Spanish Schengen Visa paperwork and they tell me that hotel and flight bookings are not necessary before the Visa is issued, but insurance is. Go to Franks Insurance in Bangkok where they can do a Visa ready insurance policy which will  be refunded if the Visa is refused.

On the application form 'she' has put that I shall finance the whole tripso only a minimum bank balance is needed.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:17 AM, stouricks said:

Whats Brexit got to do with it. Two Visas were always needed for UK & Schengen. You must ask UK for multi-entry visa, and Schengen just in case of plan changes.

It might be relevant.  Depends on how the Brexit divorce goes: will the UK still abide EU regulation 2004/38 , freedom of movement. Under that directive foreign family members of EU/EEA nationals get free visas issued ASAP and with minimum paperwork or hassle. 

On 1/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, oporhatch said:

I am interested in a schengen visa...can you apply online or do you have to take some forms to the actual embassy here in Thailand 

regards 

The Thai applicant needs to make an appointment.  Most Schengen  embassies have outsourced the process to VFS Global, some to TLS or BLS. Biometrics will be taken so a visit to the embassy or external service provider  (vfs, bls, tls) will be needed. Best start is visiting the webpage of the relevant embassy.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, khunPer said:

For a Schengen tourist visa your GF should normally apply for it by the country of entry – Portugal? – or the country for the longest stay. Your GF shall apply at that country's embassy, or visa-office, in Thailand, normally in Bangkok.

For a Schengen visa you apply at the embassy of the country that us the main objective.  Only if there is no main destination,  then you apply at the embassy of first entry.

4 hours ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

I have been looking for Italian visa for my wife but they want proof of flights, hotels and insurance, what happens if the visa is rejected.

If you're a UK National and travelling together this year, she can still apply under the Freedom of Movement Directive, she will still need a visa but it should be issued free of charge and insurance isn't required, but she should still purchase cover.
She should provide evidence that you're travelling together or she's meeting you there, so yes flight arrangements should be provided, many travel agents will supply a draft itinerary.

Many insurance brokers offer to refund a premium if a visa is declined, but insurance isn't required under the directive. 

Archived