Coronavirus in Thailand: Should you be worried and do you need to wear a mask?

snoop1130

On 1/28/2020 at 10:27 AM, spiekerjozef said:

What's a mask gonna do?

Stop you spreading infection (presuming you have it but are not aware) through sneezing?

It seems popular to slag people off for wearing masks or the wrong type of mask but surely doing something is better than doing nothing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

Reference please?

Was this in reference to being ground zero in a pandemic, in a hospital, or just walking on the street on a good day? Makes a difference.

You only have to do a simple search.  From the WHO to the CDC to the NHS and many many medical sites will tell you the same as the published notice above.

Mask wearing is a result of the hysteria floating around, usually on social media. The wearing of paper (surgical) masks can have the opposite effect.  The masks will become moist which makes a perfect breeding ground for a virus.

Health workers wear them once only, then they are disposed of.  The general public don't.

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

On 1/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, Assurancetourix said:

Can you explain to me how we wash our hands in the thousands of places in Thailand where there is a market and street meals .....
Never seen a tap connected to the city water system in these places; no soap or anything to wipe his hands ...
no more than in the hundreds of thousands of road embroidery boui-boui where we eat a pad thai or another dish at 40 baht ...

Simple - carry a bottle of antiseptic hand wash, and / or antiseptic wash wipes.

Worried Nope!  Super happy in fact.  Why?  A phenomenal opportunity to buy discounted equity, mutual funds positions and make horrendous amounts of cash.  Mask? Nope, just remain in doors and enjoy lovely thailand as i watch my assets make me richer.  What else there to do?  We can talk about it all day but unless we start a Gofund, talk is cheap because it exceeds the demand.  Besides, it's useless to stop the spread - the fire has been lit by the chinese again.  Now, allow it to run its course...

Edited by mike787

20 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Simple - carry a bottle of antiseptic hand wash, and / or antiseptic wash wipes.

and what do I do next, I lend it to the three hundred Thai people who eat next to me without having washed their hands?

I forgot, those who prepare the food that is served do it with dirty hands ... Maybe we should suggest that they buy a small bottle of ...antiseptic hand wash ?

and have you ever been interested in where the dishes are washed?
That just makes you want to run away as quickly as possible

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

A phenomenal opportunity to buy discounted equity, mutual funds positions and make horrendous amounts of cash.  Mask? Nope, just remain in doors and enjoy lovely thailand as i watch my assets make me richer. 

You're probably right about the opportunity. Just be careful to stay on the right side of the law while profiteering. Rothschild got away with quite a lot.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

You're probably right about the opportunity. Just be careful to stay on the right side of the law while profiteering. Rothschild got away with quite a lot.

The shorts are gonna make a ton of cash too.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:45 PM, Assurancetourix said:

and what do I do next, I lend it to the three hundred Thai people who eat next to me without having washed their hands?

I forgot, those who prepare the food that is served do it with dirty hands ... Maybe we should suggest that they buy a small bottle of ...antiseptic hand wash ?

and have you ever been interested in where the dishes are washed?
That just makes you want to run away as quickly as possible

What, you intend being fed by hand from those 300 Thai people?

As for the rest of it, choose a more respectable eatery with better hygiene standards, or stay home and cook yourself..... Simple!

It should be noted that, if the figures are to be believed, well over 90% of infections and deaths in China are in the Hubei province.  632 have fully recovered and I'm sure many more will.

Out of the 19 confirmed cases in Thailand, 12 have made a full recovery with the remaining 7 'on the mend'.

If the containment in China remains effective then this virus will eventually run it's course although it may be some months yet.

Although not a valid analysis, confirmed infections vs deaths have remained at between 2 and 3%.  If, as believed, there are many unreported infections because of mild or no symptoms, then the % may be lower.

Viruses in the past have usually been killed by effective containment and the body's immune system adapting.

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

It should be noted that, if the figures are to be believed, well over 90% of infections and deaths in China are in the Hubei province.  632 have fully recovered and I'm sure many more will.

Out of the 19 confirmed cases in Thailand, 12 have made a full recovery with the remaining 7 'on the mend'.

If the containment in China remains effective then this virus will eventually run it's course although it may be some months yet.

Although not a valid analysis, confirmed infections vs deaths have remained at between 2 and 3%.  If, as believed, there are many unreported infections because of mild or no symptoms, then the % may be lower.

Viruses in the past have usually been killed by effective containment and the body's immune system adapting.

The confirmation count of 19 means nothing, since Thailand hasn't been able to clear the diagnosis backlog for days. 

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Nice to see such optimism!

A pessimist never gets disappointed. The count went up to 25, I guess some of the backlog was cleared. No idea how many lab tests are now completed.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Thailand - IF NOT NOW, THEN WHEN?

Millions of people are scared. Thailand relies of Chinese tourism.  Everyone is wearing protection, a face mask. When will it end?

Are WE waiting for a specific announcement to feel safe...when?

I put a challenge out there for anyone that can rebuke what I am proposing. 

For the good of Thailand and it’s millions upon millions of caring people, the top officials of the Thai government Health Ministry and elsewhere within the Thai government at the highest level should awaken to the opportunity that now presents itself.  

What better time then now for the government to enact law for ALL persons in eateries, food establishments, those that handle and prepare food be required to where industry standard hand protection, such as gloves.  If not now then when? 

This opportunity enacted by the health department could lift the entire country to a new health standard.

Some examples of the Benefits:

*gloves act as a barrier for germs

*gloves prevent the spread of food poisoning pathogens

*gloves prevent the transmittal of various strains of cold and flu 

*gloves prevent transmittal of viruses, making them essential in preventing food poisoning outbreaks

*minimizes health risks

*perception of cleanliness, not the perceptions of uncleanliness 

*good practice 

*positive image seen by all, including tourists

*attract attention, potentially attracting more business 

*minimizes business risk to owner(s), and management

*common sense 

*it’s the right thing to do.

IF NOT NOW, THEN WHEN?

Thailand government officials can make this happen. If they make it happen, it will bring Thailand higher to global health standards.

If Thailand does nothing, if Thailand does not make it happen. It will be many many years and generations of lower health standards for the country.  

I think it is a fair question worth asking: At what point will Thailand act to improve conditions, and minimize potential health risks that we are all faced with today?  If not now, then when?

Collectively, we should all want this. Our goal is for this message to get the attention it deserves, at the highest possible level within the Thai government, that have full responsibility for considering this very important step to improve the safety and health of all of us NOW!

Thank you for your attention.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ThaiTony2 said:

those that handle and prepare food be required to where industry standard hand protection, such as gloves. 

How many sous chefs wear gloves.  Gloves are not required if food is to be cooked after prep.  Washing hands is essential when moving from say the preparation of food to cooking.

Do you ever see cooking programs, recipe vids etc etc with gloves on.

People serving 'ready to eat' foods need to wear gloves or use tongs.

There currently are no requirements for glove use in food service establishments, but, a “no bare hands” policy is recommended for handling ready-to-eat foods (e.g. sandwiches, salads). Gloves and utensils (such as tongs) can be used to minimize bare hand contact of food.

• Like 1

That article is so full of misinformation that you should look elsewhere for more reliable facts and advice.

For instance, the use of face masks is actually very helpful in avoiding the virus but they didn't even touch on what the main reason for that is.  It has nothing to do with filtering airborne virus droplet; it has to do with preventing you from transferring the virus from your hands to your face. 

The probability of coming into contact with the virus is far greater from surface contact with a countertop, door knob, or something an infected person may have touched.  Think about it.