New rule allows growth of cannabis plants

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“The regulation also states that cannabis plants can be grown at the maximum of one rai per household” she said, adding that “Growers must be licensed, and grow only species specified in the new regulation”.

Seems like many of the adove posts didn't read past the 'misleading' headline.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Seems like many of the adove posts didn't read past the 'misleading' headline.

Not sure what you mean by misleading as it seem pretty straightforward it says Thais need a license to grow up to one rai of the species of cannabis specified by the administration seems pretty clear.Perhaps you could be more specific?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CLW said:

Wrong. It's hemp not cannabis.

Where did you hear that?

btw, Hemp is cannabis. 

This will allow licensed farmers to grow Thai landrace cannabis and sell it back to the government. 

They want uniform production, and not having some farmers grow Thai landraces and others growing indica strains with different cannabinoid and terpene profiles. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The one rai reference means this is about the HEMP side of things...sub 0.3 THC. And subject to to oversight.

Lay off that "oil"?

Where are you getting that? 

Outdoor doesn’t equal hemp. 

That’s the same way cannabis has been grown here for centuries, whether it’s high THC sativa for medicine or low THC hemp for fiber. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Monomial said:

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/politic/1758341

It comes from here, which you can Google translate.  Notice all the references to bark, stem, fibers, paper and biomass energy. It does not appear to specifically rule out certain species with medicinal properties, but individuals are very unlikely to be a given a license to grow that variety.

It’s a poor translation. 

Google translates both “hemp” and “cannabis”  into “ganja” 

The first paragraph of the article talks about medical use. 

The details haven’t been released but I expect licensed farmers will grow Thai landrace strains and sell them back to the government to go into the medical program. 

2 minutes ago, Krabi King said:

In the Thai media they are talking about "Ganchong", which is hemp,  the non-psycho active variation of cannabis. Cannabis is being referred to as "Gancha" in Thailand.

So yes, a misleading headline.

Hemp could also be grown as a CBD variation, which is being used a lot for medical purposes. But again, this is a non psycho active component.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLW said:

Wrong. It's hemp not cannabis.

16 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Where does it say that I missed it?

That would fit the various government announcements over the last few weeks.  It was already licencing 'hemp farms' in 6 provinces.  I'm pretty sure that in this case they're talking about hemp which is part of the cannabis family. It has already been announced that the growing of hemp for medicines, cosmetics and fibre was to be made legal.

• Like 2

A New Year present in the making for Thai farmers is a new public health ministry regulation that would permit private cultivation of hemp.

The law, which is under review by a legal authority, would grant farmers a quota of 1 rai (around half an acre) per household for commercial and industrial production of hemp-based medicine, food and cosmetics, for both domestic consumption and exports.

The measure clearly acknowledges potential positive benefits on the lives of farmers and their crucial contribution to the Thai economy. It is even a higher priority over its cannabis counterpart in the regulatory process; the hemp law is now on the way from the Ministry of Public Health to the Council of State for scrutiny before being presented to the Cabinet for a final approval.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/12/31/govt-plows-ahead-with-new-law-allowing-farmers-to-grow-1-rai-of-hemp/

Nobody's going to get high on hemp.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That would fit the various government announcements over the last few weeks.  It was already licencing 'hemp farms' in 6 provinces.  I'm pretty sure that in this case they're talking about hemp which is part of the cannabis family. It has already been announced that the growing of hemp for medicines, cosmetics and fibre was to be made legal.

I know I'm being pedantic and arguing over semantics but I've never heard or seen it referred to as Hemp by the administration.I do however understand what you are getting at and we will have to wait and see in regards to THC concentrations and what the administration will allow.I will be happy to grow hemp (Cannabis Ruderalis) for industrial purposes.It may take a while for the transition to completely legalise cannabis but at least this administration are heading in the right direction and a making a bold lead in the region.Well done I say!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guitar God said:

I already possess a permission letter from the Thai government to grow and possess cannabis, in my name and I’m not Thai. 

Do you need a hand?Failing that are you able and willing to share how and where to get permission from the "government"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Most legal/official government/university Cannabis growing is being done indoors in light-dep (18/6 to 12/12 for photos) greenhouses. Many limitations here on outdoor growing: temps/humidity, light cycle, rain, bugs, animals, male pollen.

Yes, I've seen some impressive outdoor plants here, well photos anyway, but those rare. Most quality bud is being grown indoors here. Given the quanitity of seeds in the market, believe it or not, seeds are LEGAL here (loophole which will probably be closed), there are a lot of people growing here. Probably hoping the 6 plant thing happens? But it won't of course.

Agreed, growing anything but 'Thai brick' here outside is fairly challenging.

It's too hot is the biggest problem, usually 40c+ in the sun.

Then in monsoon, it's too wet and too humid.

And the light cycle is 'difficult', length of day doesn't vary enough for photo-period plants to flower.

(so a friend tells me)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Hemp IS cannabis.

As a plant species, its Latin name is Cannabis sativa. "Hemp" simply is the common English name for Cannabis sativa.

That is correct, they are one and the same species with those two names which often makes it difficult to distinguish them.

However, with Hemp (Ganjong or Kanjong in Thai) it is usually referred to a plant for industrial purposes such as the hemp seeds, fibers and flowers for CBD.

Cannabis (Ganja or Kanja in Thai) is usually referred to a plant with high THC levels for solely use of the flowers for medicinal and recreational purposes.

Now with the breeding and cross-breeding that has been going on in the last years it has become even more confusing.

There are varieties available now that look genuinely like Cannabis or Marihuana plants but contain only CBD with less than 1% THC.

5 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Where did you hear that?

btw, Hemp is cannabis. 

This will allow licensed farmers to grow Thai landrace cannabis and sell it back to the government. 

They want uniform production, and not having some farmers grow Thai landraces and others growing indica strains with different cannabinoid and terpene profiles. 

The last sentence is not relevant as they are landraces like you said and don't have uniform genetics.

Adding to that, the external / environmental factors also play a role in the content and constitution of the cannabinoid and terpenes.

Anyway, when producing a medicine it will be either adjusted by mixing several raw materials together or if they are doing isolate, it not relevant either.

5 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

To be sure there will be a few rogue seeds in many crops. Identified and removed at appropriate  stage.

For those people who have been in Thailand for a few years, this is exactly going to happen.

It's going to end up in a total mess.

Is this intended by the government? Can some benefit?

I guess anyone can answer for themselves ????

Fake news at its best.

They cant grow cannabis.

And they can grow hemp which is 0.3% THC max thats for fiber not for THC or CDB.

Which is ridiculous that they even banned hemp. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1415777598601479&id=300605440118706

Real news

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1845714/new-rule-makes-it-legal-to-grow-hemp

Edited by Xaos
  • Like 2

It's so annoying to see people on this board constantly yammering for drugs. Weed and Tramadol whatever the hell the later is.

Next we see the ...oh, I'm in a spot of bother thread. Caught with 2.5 grams of <deleted>ty Thai river weed.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It's so annoying to see people on this board constantly yammering for drugs. Weed and Tramadol whatever the hell the later is.

Next we see the ...oh, I'm in a spot of bother thread. Caught with 2.5 grams of <deleted>ty Thai river weed.

The irony of your comment is well noted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ian Pazgon said:

The news reported in this topic is specifically for Medical Grade Cannabis Only. Below are more details in regards to applying for the license to grow. This information is directly from the Thai FDA and Ministry of Health. I work in this industry and my clinic has already been granted the license to grow, manufacture, and distribute Medical Grade Cannabis as of January 2020 (Origene Clinic, Pattaya).

1. Purpose for Cultivation

Farmers must inform the Thai FDA and the Ministry of Health of the reason they plan to grow Medical Grade Cannabis. Reasons for growing include: Research, Medical Use, Import, or Export. Farmers must also report on the number of plants they intend to grow.

2. Chemical Analysis of Land & Soil

Farmland used for growing Medical Grade Cannabis must be free from pesticides and heavy metals. The Thai FDA and the Ministry of Health will assess the land and take random samples for chemical analysis.

3. Background Check

Farmers applying for licenses to grow Medical Grade Cannabis will be audited by the Office Of The Narcotics Control Board (ONCB). History of drug abuse or criminal activity will disqualify farmers from being licensed.

4. Production Ability

Farmers must propose a plan for harvesting, which includes suitable areas to process and store Medical Grade Cannabis after cultivation.

NOTE: Once farmers have been licensed, they will continuously work with the Thai FDA and Ministry of Health in regards to cultivation and harvesting Medical Grade Cannabis for Thailand. The government will control and audit all farmers to deter them from selling Medical Grade Cannabis under-the-table or contaminating crops with pesticides in the future.

Ian Pazgon

General Manager

Wrong.  You are talking of a different directive than the one discussed here.

The law in the headline, regardless of the use of the word CANNABIS is about the growing of HEMP which is a different variety of CANNABIS.  

Medical cannabis would not be used in cosmetics!

Check out the below link which gives a preview of the regulation being discussed here.  It matches exactly what is reported in  the OP.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/12/31/govt-plows-ahead-with-new-law-allowing-farmers-to-grow-1-rai-of-hemp/

The law, which is under review by a legal authority, would grant farmers a quota of 1 rai (around half an acre) per household for commercial and industrial production of hemp-based medicine, food and cosmetics, for both domestic consumption and exports.

1 hour ago, Ian Pazgon said:

The news reported in this topic is specifically for HEMP. Farmers can grow 1 rai of Hemp which is used for clothing, paper, or other environmentally friendly uses.

Good use of the edit function.

Of course you could have just said "I was wrong.  My mistake."

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's so annoying to see people on this board constantly yammering for drugs. Weed and Tramadol whatever the hell the later is. Next we see the ...oh, I'm in a spot of bother thread. Caught with 2.5 grams of <deleted>ty Thai river weed.

Learn to use the ignore function and never be annoyed again.

You knew from the thread title we'd all be wanting drugs, why did you even click on the topic?

What, you came here to express a bit of 'faux outrage' and virtue signal?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1