New rule allows growth of cannabis plants

snoop1130

23 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Not sure what you mean by misleading as it seem pretty straightforward it says Thais need a license to grow up to one rai of the species of cannabis specified by the administration seems pretty clear.Perhaps you could be more specific?

Maybe you don't know what I mean by headline and the difference between headline and article. What you are quoting is the last paragraph in the article which makes things clear. The headline and even the lead paragraph does not. Here's the headline...

This is not clear. Does this mean you can grow for personal use? It is not until the final paragraph where we discover it doesn't mean this hence I see the headline is misleading. Hope this clarifies my post for you.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe you don't know what I mean by headline and the difference between headline and article. What you are quoting is the last paragraph in the article which makes things clear. The headline and even the lead paragraph does not. Here's the headline...

This is not clear. Does this mean you can grow for personal use? It is not until the final paragraph where we discover it doesn't mean this hence I see the headline is misleading. Hope this clarifies my post for you.

As I said I wasn't sure what you meant but I see your point and totally agree it is unclear and I think the uncertainty will continue in this period of transition and I also agree that the headlines which are translated do cause me to wonder about the misleading nature of some of these headlines,and yes this clarifies beautifully your post.Thanks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

This is not clear. Does this mean you can grow for personal use?

I too had the foil and wire cap off the champers bottle until I saw the reference to "one rai" and knew this was about hemp and not "6-plants".

Champagne back on ice.

BJT/DoH/Anutin has promised some movement on 6-plants in March, but I suspect any proposal to very tightly controlled: permit(s), police checks, gov't approved genetics & growing techniques, spot checks. Given the re-sale issues I can't see 6-plants ever getting any traction; there are many many many other hurdles as well. And one aspect of 6-plants is that people can sell product back to the government. Thus, I can't see everyone being allowed to grow anything using any techniques; pesticide use, for example. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I already read this not long ago ... from the mouth of the great general

It's dangerous to quote, right? :cheesy:

Not an unrealistic quote as I’m sure the generals are trying their best to keep this industry 100% under their control to maximize trough contributions.It’s looking look they are trying to make it very difficult for the average poor Thai farmer to make any money from this industry which is not totally unexpected.It seems that any progress made to benefit the farmers is coming solely from Anutin but I maybe wrong.

20 hours ago, Ian Pazgon said:

The news reported in this topic is specifically for HEMP. Farmers can grow 1 rai of Hemp which is used for clothing, paper, or other environmentally friendly uses. Other licenses are issued for growing Medical Grade Cannabis, but the household limit is 1-6 plants. Below are more details in regards to applying for the license to grow any type of Hemp or Cannabis. This information is directly from the Thai FDA and Ministry of Health. I work in this industry and my clinic has already been granted the license to grow, manufacture medicine, and distribute Medical Grade Cannabis as of January 2020 (Origene Clinic, Pattaya).

1. Purpose for Cultivation

Farmers must inform the Thai FDA and the Ministry of Health of the reason they plan to grow Medical Grade Cannabis. Reasons for growing include: Research, Medical Use, Import, or Export. Farmers must also report on the number of plants they intend to grow.

2. Chemical Analysis of Land & Soil

Farmland used for growing Medical Grade Cannabis must be free from pesticides and heavy metals. The Thai FDA and the Ministry of Health will assess the land and take random samples for chemical analysis.

3. Background Check

Farmers applying for licenses to grow Medical Grade Cannabis will be audited by the Office Of The Narcotics Control Board (ONCB). History of drug abuse or criminal activity will disqualify farmers from being licensed.

4. Production Ability

Farmers must propose a plan for harvesting, which includes suitable areas to process and store Medical Grade Cannabis after cultivation.

NOTE: Once farmers have been licensed, they will continuously work with the Thai FDA and Ministry of Health in regards to cultivation and harvesting Medical Grade Cannabis for Thailand. The government will control and audit all farmers to deter them from selling Medical Grade Cannabis under-the-table or contaminating crops with pesticides in the future.

Ian Pazgon

General Manager

Medical grade cannabis

ROTFFLMAO

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Learn to use the ignore function and never be annoyed again.

You knew from the thread title we'd all be wanting drugs, why did you even click on the topic?

What, you came here to express a bit of 'faux outrage' and virtue signal?

I'm not virtue signaling. Drugs to me seem utterly passe. This is not the 60, 70 or 80s. I'm throughly bored by the people that need them and their never ending quest to find them. Especially when this occurs in a country that is known full well to have harsh and arbitrary drug laws especially against foreigners. But the idiots do it none the same.

I just have a good laugh when people post they've been arrested for drugs OR it's Christmas please go and visit all the numb nuts in prison put their of their own stupidity, greed or both.

• Like 2

I think the whole thing gets really funny when you hear

( not read, hear ) expats in their 60's and older talking about smoking weed, wow mate that stuff you got last night was fantastic, Soon it's going to be legal like Holland and we can grow our own and get really stoned every night.

Sorry to all you weed heads out there, you're idiots.

Now you can flame me for having a couple of glasses of wine with my meal at night and maybe a couple of whiskies while watching tv at night.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, Number 6 said:

If the hoi poloy are high as kites. Who's watching the public interest?

90% of stoners are dumb as a box of rocks

94% of non-stoners are dumb as a box of rocks though.....

93% of general population. Smarter people would choose Marijuana over all other intoxicants. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

I think the whole thing gets really funny when you hear

( not read, hear ) expats in their 60's and older talking about smoking weed, wow mate that stuff you got last night was fantastic, Soon it's going to be legal like Holland and we can grow our own and get really stoned every night.

Sorry to all you weed heads out there, you're idiots.

Now you can flame me for having a couple of glasses of wine with my meal at night and maybe a couple of whiskies while watching tv at night.

No need for flaming as you are quite entitled to have what ever it is you wish to imbibe to alter the state of your mind.I would not flame someone for doing that but I might be inclined to flame someone for calling others idiots for doing the same!I hope that you are aware the a couple of glasses of wine and a few whiskies whilst watching tv at night maybe detrimental to your health.Cheers!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

If you are in your twenties or whatever and you really need to 'smoke' with your friends everynight then live in a country where you are free to do so. At this time Thailand isn't one of them. 

If you're older, 50's plus and have, in Thailand, a wife and kids,  that comes under the responsibilities flag.

Most of these older guys who probably never saw weed in UK would most likely think they were getting 'high' if you broke open some Galloises and re-rolled it in Rizla papers and told them it was Colombian Gold.

• Haha 1

How many of the posts so far are about the legalisation of hemp, which is what this thread is about.  In spite of the wrong use of the word marijuana in context.

This is about hemp, a type of marijuana, which won't give anyone a 'high'.

5 minutes ago, Enzian said:

That bit about "only species specified" could be a real catch. Of course it is hard for most people to tell types apart before they flower, but certain kinds of big juicy buds are impossible to disguise.

There are three species of Cannabis and they are Sativa,Indica and Ruderalis which is commonly known as hemp.Contrary to what some believe hemp is a species of Cannabis,as a quick google search will reveal.Although it could be a catch I’ve read that the administration wants to legalize Sativa which is a native of Thailand.That catch will come when they nominate particular “strains” as there are many different strains in each species.Time will tell when the wording of the new laws is released after the new laws have passed through the parliamentary process.

31 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

yes locking people up for weed is stupid. dead right. ????

Not locking people up for breaking the law in any country is clever then?

I honestly don't care if people choose to walk around with a Bob Marley sized joint in their lips, it's their choice but calling a country's law stupid just because you think it is, is your decision. Just tell the policeman who busts you for that he is as stupid as the law.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 5:49 PM, TheDark said:

So we are finally allowed to grow and consume weed..

If that's what you think, you didn't read the OP very well...

“Preliminary, this regulation allows the cultivation of cannabis plants by individuals and corporation, subject to the conditions on trade and possession.

The regulation also states that growers must be licensed, and grow only species specified in the new regulation”.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, HHTel said:

image.png.a14280e2595675b95447ef47e7bdbe21.png

Unless there is something wrong with this table,   there should be a little over 2 rai in an acre... 17,222 sq ft per rai.    You could grow a <deleted> victory garden in that amount of space.

Edited by samuttodd
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

image.png.a14280e2595675b95447ef47e7bdbe21.png

Unless there is something wrong with this table,   there should be a little over 2 rai in an acre... 17,222 sq ft per rai.    You could grow a <deleted> victory garden in that amount of space.

40x40 metres for we metric types.Plenty of room for many plants and each plant will have to be genetically tested to make sure they are not the incorrect species.Times that by each household growing 1 Rai tells me it's a good time to invest in the companies that do genetic testing of cannabis plants.That's without having to deal with all the plants that will start to grow wild because some unscrupulous types spreading seeds of plants with levels of THC way in excess of the legal limit like 20% and more and these plants will have no legal owners.Good luck with the "tightly controlled" aspect of this program!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

No clue what the point of the rai/acre/m2 discussions might be? Too much space? Not enough?

Hemp production was approved in 2017, in 15 districts in six northern provinces; Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Tak, Phetchabun and Mae Hong Son for indigenous tribes. This was actually started by HRH Queen Sirikit (~2005-ish) as an extension of efforts to reallocate agricultural activities from certain illegal crops to those which are more beneficial. Until 2017 Hemp was criminalized for these peoples, and they were prosecuted.

This latest news is simply an extension of the that program, to farmers elsewhere. It also does open up hemp production for big agra, so would expect the little guy to get hosed yet again.

Again, and hopefully for the last time, this proposal is regarding the growing of hemp, with no more than 0.3% THC, which would be used for fiber/cloth/oil. Hemp was also legalized in the U.S. in 2018 (Hemp Farming Act, which was part of a larger Farm Bill).

Regarding psychoactive cannabis, there has been some talk of decriminalizing it (removing it from the two relevant legal acts), and allowing homes to grow up to six plants, and to allow people to use this cannabis in their homes, and for them to sell this cannabis to the government for use in extraction for medical oils. Who knows how that might shake out? First step would be to pray Anutin returns healthy from Wuhan. BJT has some leverage, and I think they lost out on the 3-chemicals kerfuffle so maybe they'll get some traction on 6-plants. Their platform did include these proposals.

Proud to be (T)Hai...

images.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

hmmm One mother and a couple of hundread cuttings .... thats one plant right ????

Assuming you want to go with photoperiods, then one mother and 5 clones would make six, I guess.

The government might sell cuttings, if only to standardize the genetics?

And don't post the silly pictures of the 20 pound plants, those won't grow here.