Which Cheapo 55" TV

YorkshireTyke

I've looked back until December but I can't find any advice on TV's.

I've got a perfectly good LG Smart 42" TV which cost me 20k about 3-4 years ago which still has a perfect picture.

However, as I watch UK TV , EPL every weekend and some downloaded movies, I thought about treating myself to a 55" version as they have some good offers in Powerbuy until 31st Jan ( I'm sure there will be other offers also).

I am looking at a Samsung 11,449 Baht, LG 13,990, Samsung 12,568, LG 13,379, Samsung 12,989 and 13,969.

But what do I look for which makes one model better than the other ? I know roughly what to look for in the spec of mobiles and laptops but what do I look for in TV's ?

I asked a youth in the shop and he said one of the Samsungs had better/more ? pixels than the LG but when I read the spec they were the same.

I did think about buying the one with the biggest discount as the original RRP was the highest but it could just be reduced because an older model.

Any pointers appreciated. The above prices are from their website but the same prices are offered instore as online.

check on Lazada, there is 2 different models that constantly go on sale. one from LG and one from Samsung

both usually go down to 11500 or big sales 10500

Samsung RU7100 vs LG UM7300: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-ru7100-vs-lg-um7300/783/822

choosing between the two, I wouldn't know.  they are quite similar.

personally I will likely buy the Xiaomi Mi TV 5 Pro that comes out in like a month or two, should be about 16,000b at most.

those are the two models (possibly exact listing) that constantly went on sales

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i368074024-s719528785.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/-i317820545-s599576069.html

Edited by kekalot
  • Like 1

I watched a TV repair video on YT not long ago.  The presenter specializes in "dumpster" TV's, bringing them back to life cheaply.  He was repairing a 55" Samsung LCD TV and had completely opened the back.  He remarked that Samsung used the cheapest components and cut more corners than any other brand he had worked on.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kekalot said:

check on Lazada, there is 2 different models that constantly go on sale. one from LG and one from Samsung

both usually go down to 11500 or big sales 10500

Samsung RU7100 vs LG UM7300: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-ru7100-vs-lg-um7300/783/822

choosing between the two, I wouldn't know.  they are quite similar.

personally I will likely buy the Xiaomi Mi TV 5 Pro that comes out in like a month or two, should be about 16,000b at most.

those are the two models (possibly exact listing) that constantly went on sales

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i368074024-s719528785.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/-i317820545-s599576069.html

Both out of stock on Lazada this morning

i bought a toshiba 6/7 years ago mainly because it played the most file formats via usb, it's been a great telly and is still going strong, i almost wish it would fail so i can justify updating to a smart tv, i'd go for toshiba again, though back home i've had samsung which has also been great...

Consider the Operating system - do you want to be stuck with the proprietary Samsung or a Generic Android?

I have a Samsung and find the apps I can down load to be very restrictive and the ability to stream from my computer to be awkward. I feel android would have been better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dddave said:

I watched a TV repair video on YT not long ago.  The presenter specializes in "dumpster" TV's, bringing them back to life cheaply.  He was repairing a 55" Samsung LCD TV and had completely opened the back.  He remarked that Samsung used the cheapest components and cut more corners than any other brand he had worked on.  

Same as their air cons then, their hoovers are good that's about it

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 12:11 PM, briley said:

Consider the Operating system - do you want to be stuck with the proprietary Samsung or a Generic Android?

I have a Samsung and find the apps I can down load to be very restrictive and the ability to stream from my computer to be awkward. I feel android would have been better.

Some Sony TV models use Android.

• Like 1

Henry 65" looks too big for my living room.

I always considered LG & Samsung to be similar quality in TV's and the salesman in Power outside Homepro here in HH said the Samsung was better value than the similar priced LG I was looking at although it took 2 assistants to tell me the difference between model 7100 and 7200 ! ( 7200 has 2 remotes.......but same spec TV).

Anyway the Sony seemed to have a better picture although it wasn't showing the same programme as the LG or Samsung, probably a promo programme to accentuate the colours.

The Sony KD55X8000G has Android and today is 17,870 online in Powerbuy with a 10% discount code today making it 16,083, a bit more than the c11-12k cheap price that enticed me in the first place.

Cheapest I could see that model on Lazada today is 14,750 and although I use Lazada for a lot of purchases some of the TV sellers look a bit dodgy, some selling a different, I presume older, 55''  Sony for just 8k !

I'm no techie but brands like Acontonic have served me well over the years. I read somewhere that most components are the same...from China?...Samsung has fantastic customer care in Thailand and replace under guarantee. Lotus have been doing stupidly low prices, 55 inch smart for about 9,500 but not a brand name..my eyes ain't that perfect to tell between a megapixel or gigapixel so irrelevant to me

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

Just buy whatever has the best specs and pic and get an android box and install vlc player as it will play all formats.  Don't get caught up in the smart this or that the android box for 1500 baht will do most of this:)

I've been using an android box for about 4 years, upgraded it last year, use it to watch my UK TV and footy via the apps.

My current LG is a Smart TV and has 3D capability, neither of which I have ever used apart from to try the 3D when I first bought it.

1 hour ago, transam said:

LG 55" is still OK at 12 years old, Samsung Smart 55" curve screen was ฿17,000 about a year back at Power Buy, I watch YouTube on that near every night..

"Dohome" is packed with good deals on TV's at the mo...

Never heard of Dohome so just Googled it. I couldn't change the language to English so typed Sony in the search but no TV's came up.

Done !

I decided if I bought one it would be the Sony, a bit more expensive than the LG or Samsung though.

Power buy prices seem to change during the day ! This morning the Sony was down to 15,888 online but no discount code of 10% as there was yesterday. So I went to the store who have a promotion, spend 10,000 and get 1,000 discount. However, instore was around 17,400, discount made it 16,400. The salesman suggested he puts it on a store credit card which gives another 3% discount (normally the other way, credit card payments attract a premium!) so just under 16,000. I really wanted the online price plus the 1,000 discount but no can do. All the offers are available until 2nd Feb so I went home to ponder it. I checked online and decided to input the promotion code from yesterday, TVFAIR10, and it still applied the code so now 14,299 ! Still with free delivery from the store so I don't know why the instore price should be around 1,700 Baht more.

So delivery on Tuesday.

Thanks for all your inputs and comments.