Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Phuket braces for Wuhan fallout

Recommended Posts

Phuket braces for Wuhan fallout

By The Phuket News

 

1580205096_1-org.jpg

The TAT Intelligence Centre today reported that tourist arrivals at Phuket International Airport on Monday (Jan 27) plunged by more than 12% year on year for the day. Photo: AFP

 

PHUKET:-- Leading Phuket tourism figures this week were reticent to reveal any of their predictions about the impact the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak might have on the island’s industry, despite leading national figures saying the total fallout might cost the country up to B80-100 billion in revenues.

 

Concerns spiked after the Chinese government banned all outbound travel from Wuhan, including flights, on Jan 23.

 

Phuket Tourist Association President Bhummikitti Ruktaengam told The Phuket News that the travel ban and fears of the virus spreading will certainly affect Phuket tourism, but declined to give any estimates on how deep the impact will be.

 

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-braces-for-wuhan-fallout-74569.php

 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking a move forward, if tourism revenues drop significantly, which means that there is less paid jobs for the people, who are expecting to make money especially during the high season, how this will result with overall population?

 

Does this mean, that there is less money for infrastructure development? Will this increase crime rates if people who are working on tourism areas, will not be paid as much as they expected to be paid?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fake news!

 

How can anyone estimate the impact of this on Phuket tourism - might as well ask the posters on here!

 

One, two, three, GO!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rather sad that the only thing the thais are really trained to do is nothing.....just sit back and

wait for people to visit so they can part them from there money with assorted schemes.

What a way to go through life....begging other countries to send tourists.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Fake news!

 

How can anyone estimate the impact of this on Phuket tourism - might as well ask the posters on here!

 

One, two, three, GO!

One can calculate the amount of Chinese tourists visiting Phuket, their spending habits and make an estimate how much money does Phuket lose if the Chinese tourists do not visit Phuket. That's the most simplistic way.

 

More comprehensive estimates also include how much hotels and attractions must drop their prices to compete to lure tourists, while other companies are doing the same.

 

Furthermore there can be studies, how far fetching the spread of coronavirus is going to be in the future. What is fear factor Thailand gains for being one of the major tourist destinations for Chinese tourists. How people from other countries think, how safe is Thailand to visit this year.

 

So yes, it's possible to estimate the impact to Phuket tourism. Those who really know how to do it, can do it far better and with far more indicators.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheDark said:

One can calculate the amount of Chinese tourists visiting Phuket, their spending habits and make an estimate how much money does Phuket lose if the Chinese tourists do not visit Phuket. That's the most simplistic way.

 

More comprehensive estimates also include how much hotels and attractions must drop their prices to compete to lure tourists, while other companies are doing the same.

 

Furthermore there can be studies, how far fetching the spread of coronavirus is going to be in the future. What is fear factor Thailand gains for being one of the major tourist destinations for Chinese tourists. How people from other countries think, how safe is Thailand to visit this year.

 

So yes, it's possible to estimate the impact to Phuket tourism. Those who really know how to do it, can do it far better and with far more indicators.

Yes, that all makes perfect sense, but TIT and normal economic theories and practises are not used here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With SARS 17 years ago, it affect Phuket, as did tourism in 2005 after the tsunami: More robberies and assaults, and higher hotel room prices (go figure that one out). So yes, this will affect us. How much? Jury still out. Call it fake news, but you obviously were not here then!

 

10 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Fake news!

 

How can anyone estimate the impact of this on Phuket tourism - might as well ask the posters on here!

 

One, two, three, GO!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

With SARS 17 years ago, it affect Phuket, as did tourism in 2005 after the tsunami: More robberies and assaults, and higher hotel room prices (go figure that one out). So yes, this will affect us. How much? Jury still out. Call it fake news, but you obviously were not here then!

 

 

Correct, and the one big difference at that time was that the number of Chinese tourists was quite low. The drop in numbers during SARS was due to tourists from other parts of the world changing their plans and going elsewhere in the world. That will happen again and needs to be factored into their thinking.

 

Hotel prices did not go up following the tsunami; most places were selling at low season rates. I can't remember what happened during SARS. I anticipate fierce competition among hotels when the effect of the Chinese tour group suspension kicks in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A post has been removed as per requested by the poster and a response to it has been removed also.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, snoop1130 said:

The TAT Intelligence Centre

They clearly mean the cashier center…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...