BANGKOK
orientalist

Can we really go cashless in Thailand?

17 hours ago, lkn said:

Unclear if you know this, but you can link your physical BTS rabbit top-up card with your Line Pay account so that you can use it with a zero balance, and it will just withdraw from your Line Wallet (which in turn can be linked to a debit card / bank account).

So the end result is that each trip on the BTS is charged directly to your bank account, and you never have to refill your card.

Yes, that works for single trip tickets, but then you pay 1 baht more for the trip. I prefer topping up my Rabbit card to save the one baht and to avoid queueing at the ticket machines.

1 hour ago, orientalist said:

Yes, that works for single trip tickets, but then you pay 1 baht more for the trip. I prefer topping up my Rabbit card to save the one baht and to avoid queueing at the ticket machines.

I think you misunderstand.

I still use my physical rabbit card, but it is linked to LINE Pay. When I use the physical Rabbit card, the amount is charged directly to my LINE wallet (which is linked to my bank account), and I *do* get the 1 baht discount for my trips, but I never have to top up my card or use any ticket machines.

Furthermore, I can buy ride passes for cheaper fares (from within LINE) and I also can see my ride history via my LINE wallet, which is how I just verified, that my last trip was 1 baht cheaper than the advertised price.

Also, when I first set this up, I got a few free ride passes, so my first four or so trips on the BTS were free of charge 🙂

4 minutes ago, lkn said:

and I also can see my ride history

* very important 😏

5 minutes ago, lkn said:

get the 1 baht discount

* what a revelation 👍

3 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

I prefer credit cards, especially when I can tap with my watch. The Visa/Mastercard fees are way too high though for merchants, and the system is ripe for better solutions. But, the idea that the minimum credit card transaction is 400B at 7-11, or that you are charged 3-5% settling a bill at a resort for 20,000B just shows how far things need to improve in Thailand

Fully agree, contact less payments are so nice, especially when they can be done via your watch.

And also, I hate credit/debit card fees, VISA/MasterCard are really exploiting their duopoly, taking a significant cut of merchants’ revenue.

The reason why I comment is that you write “things need to improve in Thailand”: Thailand actually just expose how expensive it is to pay with VISA/MasterCard (compared to e.g. your bank’s debit card), but in many other countries, VISA/MasterCard have ensured that the fees they charge are not exposed to the customer (via the agreement that the merchant has to sign in order to accept their cards), and worse, they are incentivising customers to use VISA/MasterCard (over the cheaper debit card) by introducing kickbacks, miles, points, etc.

You can be sure as hell that when MasterCard rewards you with a 1.5% cashback on all your purchases, it’s because the merchant is paying more than 1.5% in transaction fees.

Most places in Thailand, you can pay with a debit card, and there is no transaction fee. But if you pay with a foreign VISA/MasterCard, they charge you 3%.

I think that is actually how it should be everywhere, because when e.g. in the U.S. there is no on-top transaction fee, it just means that when I pay with my debit card, and you pay with your 1.5% cashback MasterCard, I am paying more than I should for the goods to support your card supplier’s fees and your 1.5% cashback.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, lkn said:

I think you misunderstand.

I still use my physical rabbit card, but it is linked to LINE Pay. When I use the physical Rabbit card, the amount is charged directly to my LINE wallet (which is linked to my bank account), and I *do* get the 1 baht discount for my trips, but I never have to top up my card or use any ticket machines.

Furthermore, I can buy ride passes for cheaper fares (from within LINE) and I also can see my ride history via my LINE wallet, which is how I just verified, that my last trip was 1 baht cheaper than the advertised price.

Also, when I first set this up, I got a few free ride passes, so my first four or so trips on the BTS were free of charge 🙂

Ok, I get it now. It doesnt work for me because my Line wallet is connected to credit cards rather than a bank account or debit card. I can buy a pass with the linked CC but I can't use it to debit the physical card going through the turnstiles. I'll give it a try. Thanks. 

Seems like Covid 19 and future Corona viruses is a good reason to go cashless and cardless!