Wrong-way 15-year-old driver killed by oncoming truck

Rimmer

Pattaya-News-3-N-Jan-23-05-10-wheeler-hi

SATTAHIP:--A junior-high student driving the wrong way on Sukhumvit Road died when he crashed head-on into a 10-wheeled truck.

Jirapat Phumisak, 15, died instantly when the Wuthipanya Rattanakul Co. Isuzu freight truck ran over his head after the ninth-grader’s Honda grazed the oncoming truck and crashed at the U-Turn in front of 700-rai Market Jan. 23.

Driver Somnuk Sommanat, 48, said he was bringing dirt to the 700-Rai Market. He said the boy was driving against traffic and lost control of the bike when he tried to avoid truck.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/wrong-way-15-year-old-driver-killed-by-oncoming-truck-285574

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-01-28—

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A helmet saved my life when I was hit by another motorcyclist and knocked into the path of a pickup travelling in the same direction.

One side of my helmet had white scratch marks from the concrete road, the other side had black rubber marks from the tyre of the pickup.

I'm happy for you and your loved ones. 

But that anecdote doesn't change the fact that you're 20-40 times per km as likely to die on a scooter than safely ensconced in a 4 wheeled vehicle with doors and seatbelts.  There's a small window between the scooter wreck you'll walk away from even with no helmet, and the one that's going to kill you regardless of any helmet.  

I'd say that, in the same situation, you'd have just had a scratch in your door had you been in a car or truck.

• Sad 1

I don't think it was the driving the wrong way that killed him, more the lack of driving skills and being able to avoid a massive truck coming the other way..

Probably would have happened to him at some point driving the correct way on a single lane road, with a truck coming the other way !!

Sometimes I drive the wrong way down the hard shoulder but I tend to avoid any vehicles coming toward me...

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Tragic that a kid on a 30-40-50K bike dies for lack of a 2000 Baht helmet,

11 hours ago, impulse said:

You figure a helmet's going to save someone when a truck runs over his head?

My thoughts exactly.

12 hours ago, Rimmer said:

R.I.P. boy!
Probably without a license, in this case the parents are to be considered completely responsible!
The old truck probably had problems with the brakes and the driver perhaps on drugs!
When the police begin to pay some attention to all those (they are many) who are going in the wrong direction, not just mopeds!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Tragic that a kid on a 30-40-50K bike dies for lack of a 2000 Baht helmet,

Even a 30,000 baht helmet like the one a Norwegian friend has will not help against the wheel of a 26-ton truck. ( 10 wheels = 26 tons or more; we are in thailand )

What is unfortunate is the total lack of intelligence of a kid who obviously does not have a driving license (15 years) as well as from his parents who let him "drive" such a machine.

Edited by Assurancetourix

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

The solution to their could not care attitude to safety and the rules starts in School or should do, but nobody cares enough to do anything about it.

Exactly. The driver of the bike doesn't care, his parents don't care (no discipline taught and enforced), schools don't care (no discipline taught and enforced), police don't care (no law enforced). And so these things go on and on and on and on. They don't care so I don't care. Their country, their life. Just glad that this kid who sees nothing wrong in driving on the wrong side of the road killed himself before he killed others. The lack of responsibility and discipline is an epidemic in this country. Oh, and it kills more each day, more each hour, than any virus they are so concerned about.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They taught him nothing I expect.

they ALL get TAUGHT NOTHING, KOZ THEIR PARENTS know nothing.....kids follow in their parents footsteps from a very young age...

How many times do we all see Mother/Father driving NO HELMETS....and the kid on the bike not wearing one too...so later in life when the kid/kids get a bike (probably NO LICENCE/INSURANCE)  they JUST do what they did when on bikes with their parents !!!

Road safety EDUCATION is what is needed but here it is never ever taught...!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Another clueless poster.

Motorbike license minimum age is 15 in Thailand. 

That won't change the reality that he didn't have one or that he was riding against traffic with no lights, helmet or other protection taken for granted elsewhere ????

Edited by evadgib

13 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Another clueless poster.

Motorbike license minimum age is 15 in Thailand. 

That still won't change the reality that he didn't have one or that he was riding against traffic with no lights, helmet or other protection taken for granted elsewhere ????