Wrong-way 15-year-old driver killed by oncoming truck

Rimmer

A neighbors kid (20s) had an horrific bike crash last week. He is still in a coma with skull fractures. He always wears a full face, high quality helmet. He would not still be here without it.

The pedestrian in the middle of the road was not so lucky.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

A neighbors kid (20s) had an horrific bike crash last week. He is still in a coma with skull fractures. He always wears a full face, high quality helmet. He would not still be here without it.

A friend here had a similar escape after landing on his head when T boned by a muppet with no lights. He would have died if it weren't for his helmet.

Any car drivers reading this thread should regard it as a wake up call re front and rear dashcams if they haven't already fitted any.

Edited by evadgib

14 hours ago, impulse said:

You figure a helmet's going to save someone when a truck runs over his head?

It carries on through all ages, and apparently it's contagious.  Because I can't count the number of westerners I've seen "going native" and enjoying the freedom that comes with lack of enforcement and consequences.  Speeding, going the wrong way, illegal turns, no helmet, shorts and flip flops.  Westerners who were taught better, and wouldn't dream of doing the same back home.

Actually a friend of mine was in an accident with a large truck in Korea several years ago. She was a passenger on a bike and was run over by the truck. A high quality helmet saved her and didnt crush under the trucks wheels. She did lose a leg but lived! Good helmets work!

• Like 2

We've got a stretch of road near me and it's becoming a Black Spot as it comes down the hill 2 lanes either side and stupid U-turns Monday 2 farang 1 dead 1 serious injuries hit by a taxi I'm told flying down the road

41 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you mean freedom to  drive like an idiot?

I wouldn't say I was an idiot ????

Do you struggle to avoid traffic coming in the opposite direction on single carriage roads ?? Nothing different about driving down the hard shoulder... 

I said I sometimes do it, not all the time.. ????

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If he'd been driving in a car, he'd probably be having dinner with his family tonight.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps a bit of sympathy for the kid's parents too? 

What, the same ones that waved him off with no licence, no insurance, no helmet and no concern ? Bet your life they are working on a replacement now

No licence and no insurance?  How do you know that?

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yes, it often does in such circumstances.

You're obviously completely clueless about it.

Good luck finding one of those in Thailand, that an average Thai can afford.  Finding one for 2000 baht like the post I was replying to? 

Who's clueless? 

And to other posters with miraculous anecdotes about surviving due to a helmet, I know a guy who got shot and didn't die because he had a thick wallet in his jacket pocket.  It was a fluke.

Edited by impulse

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm happy for you and your loved ones. 

But that anecdote doesn't change the fact that you're 20-40 times per km as likely to die on a scooter than safely ensconced in a 4 wheeled vehicle with doors and seatbelts.  There's a small window between the scooter wreck you'll walk away from even with no helmet, and the one that's going to kill you regardless of any helmet.  

I'd say that, in the same situation, you'd have just had a scratch in your door had you been in a car or truck.

Don’t drive a car or travel anywhere, it’s much safer !!! 

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No licence and no insurance?  How do you know that?

I’m riding around today, no

license, no insurance, no tax !!! 

The DLT computers are down so I can’t renew (all expired yesterday) - today was for renewal (yesterday I couldn’t make it to the DLT). 

None of this, having a licence or not has any impact on my ability to drive a car or ride a motorcycle

(some tool will be along to tell me I should have ensured seemless cover by getting this stuff renewed last week - they’ll be right, but they’ll still be a tool!!) 

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

If he'd been driving in a car, he'd probably be having dinner with his family tonight.

You conveniently omit the economics of transport options when making a such an argumentatively flawed response. 

You think a lot of Thai’s who ride scooters do so Out of choice when they can also afford a car??? 

Edited by richard_smith237

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
46 minutes ago, impulse said:

You conveniently omit the economics of transport options when making a such an argumentatively flawed response. 

You think a lot of Thai’s who ride scooters do so Out of choice when they can also afford a car??? 

My statement is 100% accurate, and I stand by it.  You're the one adding the judgment.

Besides, I'm posting on a foreign targeted forum, where most of the participants do have a choice.  If one life is saved because someone thinks twice when deciding between buying a car and buying a scooter, I'll chalk it up in the win column.  Of course, we'll never know.  You never read about people who have dinner with their families.  Just the ones that don't.

Edit: So I freely admit that I do get preachy about comparing scooter safety stats to car safety stats.  Now you know why.  But not about local vs foreign drivers.  I've seen some pretty bad westerners driving...

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

So all the police bandit stops on Sukhumvit have been in vain?  (Apart from the millions collected in 'fines'!)

But that was the aim anyhow... so not in vain. Railway line bypass today!

Regardless of the parenting level or whatever, the death of a 15-year old boy is tragic - period.

That said, I also have to agree that while 15 year olds are semi-independent and can be difficult or almost impossible to control at times, they are your (parent/guardian) responsibility... 

i don’t know the parents, the family situation and all the other variable to go into raising and impacting the life a child- so I can’t really comment on the parenting skills/attention etc... but.... while I don’t know those parts, what I am comfortable with is the notion that a child, 15 years or not, is still a minor and still the legal obligation of an adult.. so that person or persons need to “step up” in terms of monitoring, appropriately and positively influencing the minor as well as monitoring their actions.

3 hours ago, impulse said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
4 hours ago, impulse said:

My statement is 100% accurate, and I stand by it.  You're the one adding the judgment.

Besides, I'm posting on a foreign targeted forum, where most of the participants do have a choice.  If one life is saved because someone thinks twice when deciding between buying a car and buying a scooter, I'll chalk it up in the win column.  Of course, we'll never know.  You never read about people who have dinner with their families.  Just the ones that don't.

Edit: So I freely admit that I do get preachy about comparing scooter safety stats to car safety stats.  Now you know why.  But not about local vs foreign drivers.  I've seen some pretty bad westerners driving...

I agree. Your statement is 100% correct ["If he'd been driving in a car, he'd probably be having dinner with his family tonight.”], and yes, I am passing judgement on the banality of that 100% correct statement, its like saying "if he wasn’t there he would have been having dinner with his family tonight”.

If addressing those who can afford an alternative yet still choose to ride a motorcycle your point holds water but for the average scooter riding Thai the point is irrelevant. 

I was riding today - Full PPE (boots, Kevlar Jeans, Rev’it Jacket (with back protector), full face Helmet, Gloves, and that was just to ride down to the DLT on Sukhumvit Rd (Bangkok). I figure if I’m going to choose the convenience of the Motorcycle I’ll make it as safe for me as possible. 

I do agree that if I am involved in an accident on my motorcycle it would probably have been nothing more than a scratch on a car. That said, my Wife had taken the car, so my options were to take 1hr Taxi ride in traffic or take my Motorcycle ride 30mins through traffic and kit up. 

What your post has offered is cause to think twice when making the choice to ride or drive & for that I applaud you & just to add, I never ride at night (its always drive, or Wife drives, or taxi). 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What your post has offered is cause to think twice when making the choice to ride or drive & for that I applaud you & just to add, I never ride at night (its always drive, or Wife drives, or taxi). 

I appreciate that.  If it makes me unpopular in some circles, so be it.

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps a bit of sympathy for the kid's parents too? 

NO!!! Definitely no sympathy for the parents, they are the one's that let the kids drive without helmet and don't care about instructions for driving until it is too late...

I bring my daughter to school every day, driving within the rules, wearing helmets and when I see what kids do on the road.. 12y olds 3 to 4 on a bike driving through traffick and over intersections at high speed... 

My Thai wife says this: Thai parents don't care sh... as long as their kids don't bother them and go to school on their own.. but big crying and Buddha praying when the kids die in accidents.. that is Thai parents attitude unfortunately. 

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But that was the aim anyhow... so not in vain. Railway line bypass today!

They bleat about the lack of tourists then allow fleets of coaches to seal off one lane queuing to get into Floating Market mall; then compound the problem by further jamming up the works lower down Rot Fai road.  Pattaya police are a disgrace to all Thailand.  They've not booked ONE illegal taxi driver.