"O" Relative Visa - Allowed Back and Forth with or without Limits?

Hi All, 

I can't seem to figure the departure re-entry specifics of the O Visa (Related to Thai).

I know you can get one-year multiple entries for a maximum of 90 days straight and then leave for 30. However, what if you go "back and forth?" In Thailand for 45 days, go to another country for one week, back to Thailand for three weeks, to another country for three days, back to Thailand 30 days, leave Thailand for two months, back to Thailand for two weeks, etc. In other words, would you need a new visa after "X" entries.

a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa gives unlimited 90 day entries into Thailand, each entry can be extended by 60 days to visit Thai children or a Thai wife, they must be with you when you apply for the extension

no time out of the country other than a short out /in trip to get a fresh 90 days.

a fresh 90 day entry can be made in the final days of the actual visa, which will extend beyond the visa expiry date. so in total almost 17 months can be spent in Thailand with this visa.

Edited by steve187

Hi Folks I have a question related ro this thread.  I have an O visa from my wife. Can I simply cross into Myanmar at Mae sai and come back to renew for 90 days or do I need to leave for an extended period of time?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Burnoreno

1 hour ago, Burnoreno said:

Hi Folks I have a question related ro this thread.  I have an O visa from my wife. Can I simply cross into Myanmar at Mae sai and come back to renew for 90 days or do I need to leave for an extended period of time?

Thanks in advance!

Up to you.

There is no definite answer to the OP's question.

First, these are the official rules. A multiple entry visa of any type allows unlimited entries into Thailand until the expiry date of the visa. This is true unless there is a reason under Section 12 of the Immigration Act to deny entry. That reason would apply regardless of how often and for how long you visit Thailand. There is no reason listed in Section 12 that restricts frequency or duration of visits. Very, very few visitors need to concern themselves with those official rules.

Second, the official rules are no longer the whole story. Some in Immigration, including people at senior levels, have decided they do not agree with the current rules, and resent the idea of allowing consular officials to decide whether people qualify for visas. At several airports, and at least one land crossing, officials have introduced unofficial limits on the degree to which tourist visas will be honoured. Very recently, it appears they may have decided to do the same with Non O visas. At the current time, there is no clear picture of how much time immigration officials at specific entry points will consider appropriate for those coming to visit Thai family members on multiple entry (or single entry) Non O visas. All you can do (as with tourist visas) is stay up to date on the rules that appear to be in force at each airport and land crossing (which may depend on which officials are on duty).

9 hours ago, TravelingWell said:

Got it. Thanks. I think I confused some of the rules with a tourist visa that (30 days out after 90 days straight)

There is no 30 day out of the country requirement for tourist visas.

Your case is what a multiple entry visa was meant for. I can see no reason to you for you to have a problem due to your frequent travels.

7 hours ago, Burnoreno said:

Can I simply cross into Myanmar at Mae sai and come back to renew for 90 days or do I need to leave for an extended period of time?

No need to be in Myanmar any longer than needed to turn around and come back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TravelingWell said:

Got it. Thanks. I think I confused some of the rules with a tourist visa that (30 days out after 90 days straight)

What does "30 days out oafter 90 days straight "  mean?  Agree that you got something confused but can't fathom what?

TravelingWell - I am curious about you. Mostly because I need a similar visa in the end of this year. Do you have Thai children? How did you get a 1 year multiple visa.....at Savannakhet, Laos? Did you guarantee with 400.000 in the bank?

I appreciate it you will take the time to answer here on in PM. Thank you.

3 hours ago, AP7100 said:

TravelingWell - I am curious about you. Mostly because I need a similar visa in the end of this year. Do you have Thai children? How did you get a 1 year multiple visa.....at Savannakhet, Laos? Did you guarantee with 400.000 in the bank?

I appreciate it you will take the time to answer here on in PM. Thank you.

I never applied for a multiple visa before. 

I am in a similar boat too chaps. I am currently on non b with work permit but will stop working in March and will need a new visa to stay here with my family. I have a thai daughter and girlfriend but i am not married.

My options as i see them are to get married and get an extension on based on marriage or to go this route with multientry and have to leave every 90 days but not get married.

There was a thread on here recently where a poster got the 1 year multientry based on Thai child in Penang and he said he had to show proof of 400k.