BANGKOK
moonhiker

If I'm carrying a guitar in a gig bag, could I be denied entry..?

Could the IO assume that I'm one of those busker hippies and turn me around? (No artistic visa, I'd have either a SETV or METV...) Am I overthinking it? 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I do not think you need to be worried. Some officials can be offended if you look like a hippy, so you might decide it is worth looking fairly smart when arriving. Officials generally only use accusations of illegal working to deny entry to persons they dislike for other reasons. Only worry if you want to spend many months in Thailand.

Don't dress like a hippy, meaning get a nice clean haircut and don't wear old ripped clothes with food stains on your shirt, then you should be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, moonhiker said:

Could the IO assume that I'm one of those busker hippies and turn me around?

Yes, they could. The only thing it will depend on is what day it is and the mode of the IO that gets the great opportunity to welcome you to the wonderful Kingdom of Thailand.

• Like 1

You have the option to buy a cheap one ($30/$40) here, and avoid the Big pack in your trip. 

When you leave Thailand... there are a lot of poor children dreaming to get one... 

• Like 1

Depending on what airline they may not let you on because it is oversized for the cabin. Happened to me on Cathay Pacific a couple of years ago going to the USA and coming back home here. Honestly, no IO will look at the gig bag and guitar as a negative. Just put it down in front of the counter so they don't see it around your shoulder when doing check in. Big question is how many times have you been here in and out. 

What I mean not allowed on the plane is I had to go and wrap the guitar in a cardboard box and then put in oversized baggage. And get this, this is a small to medium sized acoustic not a full size.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Guitars go through as special luggage the same as a surfboard , pushbike, golf clubs etc. its dropped and picked up from the special luggage desk. If you try and take it on as hand luggage they will tale it off you, its to big, it goes down the slide at the gate with baby strollers and gets loaded underneath

I have flown from Europe to Thailand on three separate occasions with guitars. Twice using gig bags and once in a hardcase. All were hand carried on board. No questions from airline, immigration or customs in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Luggage pickup is after immigration so the IO wont see you carrying a guitar.

You can take a guitar as carry on if it’s in a soft case.

2 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I have flown from Europe to Thailand on three separate occasions with guitars. Twice using gig bags and once in a hardcase. All were hand carried on board. No questions from airline, immigration or customs in Thailand.

I suppose it comes down to the airlines policy, My experience has been the opposite, 6-8 trips with a guitar, at check-in they direct you to special baggage or taken off you at the gate. Where do you put the guitar when on the plane, a guitar in a hardcase wont fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front ?

If by chance it fits in the overhead bin, I would be more concerned about the damage others could cause by stuffing a bag in on top

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You can take a guitar as carry on if it’s in a soft case.

No not always. as I said from personal experience here at Suvarnabhumi and SFO, Cathay Pacific says no. Year before all other airlines said ok, but something for some airlines change.

I think it unlikely, but when dealing with immigration you just never know for sure.