BANGKOK
Genmai

My experience flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday

i'm rating this as worst post of the year, but it is early so i'm sure it won't stay at the top for long.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, buick said:

i'm rating this as worst post of the year, but it is early so i'm sure it won't stay at the top for long.

And it is twin tag team to boot. WWF stylee..

9 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Doesn't bring his own disinfectant.

this is the part i love.  i can't imagine demanding 'hand gel' from an immigration officer in any country around the world.  once you've touched all the stuff you don't want to touch, you just go to the toilet in the baggage claim and wash your hands.  i prefer to carry the hand gel but if i don't have any, i just proceed to the toilet and wash the hands. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buick said:

i can't imagine demanding 'hand gel' from an immigration officer in any country around the world.

Or any sort of hand treatment

• Like 2

and the OP tries to compare bringing your own hand gel through immigration to bringing your own cutlery to a restaurant.  what ?  we've got a real winner here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazygreg44 said:

o dear, if The Australian and Peter Dutton are your source of information and influencers then there is little further i can say to help you ...

But today's revelation is that for the privilege of being flown to 'safety' on C.I, Oz government wants each passenger to cough up (no pun intended) A$1,000 or approx B20,000 ...

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australians-will-need-to-pay-1000-to-be-evacuated-from-wuhan-20200130-p53w71.html

After the 14 day quarantine, the victims will be dumped at nearest mainland airport (Perth) and told to find their own way home. Chances are they live in Sydney or Melbourne and flew over their homes on the way from China to Christmas Island. Another $300 - $700 airfare there.

Government have assured everyone that if necessary, evacuees needing medical attention would be further relocated to mainland hospitals ... now why would they even bother to say that if the Christmas Island facilities were adequate?

Also, Australian Medical Association (basically, the group representing all Australian doctors) thinks it's a <deleted> idea. But what would they know?

All a bit academic anyway, at time of writing the Oz 'rescue' flights have not got Chinese authority to leave.

Edited by pdtokyo
typos
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/29/2020 at 12:58 AM, Genmai said:

but I'm definitely not about to touch this gross machine that probably hasn't been cleaned since morning.

Did you demand that the taxi driver disinfected the taxi's door handles before you got in?  Or demand that the driver of the ARL cleaned the stanchions and straps for you.  How did you pay for your transport from the airport, did you use money that you had sanitised?

• Thanks 2

On 1/29/2020 at 2:00 AM, Genmai said:

Tell me, are you the type of guy who brings his own cutlery to a restaurant? Because let me tell you, there’s nothing worse than the arrogant, know it all, so called experienced eater, long time restaurant visitor or lurker who doesn’t PACK AND USE HIS OWN BLOODY CUTLERY. Or his own airbag/seatbelt when getting in a car.

He probably isn't but then he's not whinging and ranting hypocritically about it!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

Airports, hospitals, malls, buses, trains, cinemas, etc. Avoid like the plague, Thais will be milling around with zero protection, spreading the virus.

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2020 at 2:38 PM, ThaiBunny said:

The OP sounds as if he's bought the whole pandemic hysteria story root-and-branch. This coronavirus has a death rate so far of less than 3% or one-third of the SARS virus - which most people who caught it survived. It is no more fatal than catching the 'flu, and the same people are most at risk - the very young, the very old and those whose immune system is compromised because they are diabetic or HIV+ etc.  As for the airport - how many unclean hands have handled his suitcase between him checking it in and him retrieving it? How many door handles - the taxi, his hotel room to name but two - will he be touching in the hour after he arrives? Get a grip

Panic because of the outbreake of a new virus.

It's understandable that people worry about that. The number of deaths and infections – especially in China - make many people feeling it could affect them tomorrow.

But inspite of the bad news there is no reason to panic. Just at now there is no real remedy against the virus. Common sense seems to be the best advice to fight the disease and the panic. I don't want to repeat them here, you read about this everywhere in the media, including TV.

Fact:

• There are more than 3 – 5 million serious influenza infections in the world, resulting in ~650.000 dead people …. yearly. And this is a virus, too.

The common people don't worry about this disease. Now it's part of the daily life – despite the big numbers of sick and dead people. That the people worry about this new (maybe) pandemic is normal and okay, but overreaction not. Do the people wear face masks because of the much more dangerous influenza? Not! What do they do against influenza in the same way the OP is missing against the new virus? Nothing!

My father told me once: Nearly all people die in the bed, but ....... they go there every day, again and again.

26 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Panic because of the outbreake of a new virus.

It's understandable that people worry about that. The number of deaths and infections – especially in China - make many people feeling it could affect them tomorrow.

But inspite of the bad news there is no reason to panic. Just at now there is no real remedy against the virus. Common sense seems to be the best advice to fight the disease and the panic. I don't want to repeat them here, you read about this everywhere in the media, including TV.

Fact:

• There are more than 3 – 5 million serious influenza infections in the world, resulting in ~650.000 dead people …. yearly. And this is a virus, too.

The common people don't worry about this disease. Now it's part of the daily life – despite the big numbers of sick and dead people. That the people worry about this new (maybe) pandemic is normal and okay, but overreaction not. Do the people wear face masks because of the much more dangerous influenza? Not! What do they do against influenza in the same way the OP is missing against the new virus? Nothing!

My father told me once: Nearly all people die in the bed, but ....... they go there every day, again and again.

"Panic because of the outbreake of a new virus."

"It's understandable that people worry about that."

Like you said,common people don't worry or panic. But it seems like 90% of the posters at TV do panic or worry a lot. They must be surrounded by coughing and sneezing Chinese tourists. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Genmai said:

And I could equally reckon you're a Thai apologist who in his quest to distance himself from the self perceived guilt of a Western heritage takes great pleasure in making unsubstantiated character attacks at any other farang who take the slightest issue with any aspect of this country. You can reckon whatever you like mate, doesn't make a difference to me. It's probably much the same to you. What matters is the truth. Why don't you pop down to Swampy arrivals yourself and let us know your observations?

For all you know I could have walked through with a respirator and gloves covered head to toe in diesel with my own pen etc etc. You're obviously missing the point I'm making here. All of us could take all of the precautions necessary. But it wouldn't make a damn difference if the officials in charge of public spaces do everything they can to further facilitate the spread of the virus instead of putting 2 brain cells together. For every one of us who comes prepared there are thousands of Chinese and other travelers who don't. That's just the simple truth whether you like it or not. Further transmissions could be reduced if airport staff actually did what they claimed in the article.

@Letseng @ujayujay @galenjones @madmen @Nanaplaza666 @ThaiBunny @Matzzon @MaxiMaxi @WinnieTheKhwai @buick @thaibeachlovers @faraday @NanLaew @mike787 @bwpage3 @shy coconut

Let me ask you all just one thing. Do you have a wife/kids/SO/girlfriend here? Because I'd bet that if you do and they happened to catch this virus then you would all change your tune pretty quickly. You might wish that the officials and airport staff had actually done something to prevent the situation from escalating instead of lying to everyone like they always do. You might even wish that there would have been more people making a fuss about how nothing was done to prevent the spread and fewer people who told the "arrogant know-it-all Thai-bashing naysayers" to get a grip and leave if they didn't like it.

Actually the mark of an uneducated individual is attacking someone's character when one can't or won't address the content of their statement, which is something that seems to be happening quite a lot in this thread.

As we can clearly see it's not just Thais - many foreign expats here seem to be more than willing to adopt the same attitude you've described.

Finally, yes exactly, someone gets it. The airport is a hospital. Thank you.

Do you expect the taxis or any public transport you use to get disinfected before you board?

Oh, don't ever use a supermarket trolley ever.

• Thanks 2

A lot of deliberate misinterpretation going on here. I will clarify plainly once again that my issue is with the fact that in response to a virus outbreak the Thai media reported on behalf of airport staff that certain measures were to be taken to stop further transmissions. All I did was provide my account of how NONE of those measures were in effect and how staff were seemingly oblivious to what the actual measures were. 

At no point did I comment on the virulence/severity of the virus, on my own level of preparedness or even on the efficacy of the measures proposed.

To all of you who are continuing to slag me off for bringing this up - I want to point out that none of you have answered my previous question. Do you have a wife/children/SO/girlfriend/family here? Would you change your tune if they got sick with this thing, yes or no? 

Regarding suggestions made by some posters that I am being guided by fear, am a sad frightened individual and should hole myself up in a hotel (or walk around with a bottle on my head) let me also set the record straight here: I am one of the healthiest people I know and not particularly old either. As far as my own personal health and well-being goes I'm not in the least bit concerned for myself. So no, fear is not the guiding emotion here. The only fear I have is that many of you might have to eat your words at some point in the future.

6 hours ago, Letseng said:

Do you expect the taxis or any public transport you use to get disinfected before you board?

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Did you demand that the taxi driver disinfected the taxi's door handles before you got in?

No, for the simple reason that the media together with relevant agencies DID NOT do a sing and dance show to promise everyone that taxis specifically would be subject to enforcement of certain measures to stop the spread of the virus. If they DID come out with that statement in regards to taxis and they failed to carry through just as they have done now then YES I would point it out in the same manner. Is this so difficult to understand? Are you having trouble with reading comprehension or English just isn't a first language for you? If somebody says they'll do something and then they go on to do precisely nothing then that person is supposed to be held accountable, ESPECIALLY when it concerns public health and safety, no?

17 hours ago, mike787 said:

I cannot believe the I/O didn't blacklist you permanently and kick you out on the spot.

20 hours ago, mike787 said:

It's unforgivable to think people like the OP exist...it's a good excuse for a blacklist to be used on him.

Blacklisted on what basis? Because when people say they'll do something and then don't carry through I point it out? Boy aren't I glad you aren't in any particular position of power then.

Also @mike787 I noticed that in this thread (https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1145822-is-it-safe-to-travel-to-thailand-latest-advice-after-deadly-coronavirus-kills-132/) you had the following to say on the topic:

17 hours ago, mike787 said:

NO not safe anywhere.

So on the one hand you think this virus is dangerous enough to warrant serious concern and abstain from travelling ANYWHERE. Yet on the other hand you also think that people who insist that airport staff take basic necessary precautions to prevent further transmission are arrogant stinkers who should be blacklisted. Which is it then? Or are you just trolling for attention?

12 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

So Genmai joins TVF in 2015 and doesn't really post until now and you joined in 2011 and didn't really post until now. I think that tells its own story. Most of us have difficulty remembering a password from last week never mind 9 years ago !

And in another thread:

10 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Probably around 10 million are infected with the fear virus though. I maybe suffering from mild symptoms.

Go ahead and report me to moderators if you think I'm using multiple accounts. But I think your own delusions are maybe the mild symptoms you referred to.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1