BANGKOK
Genmai

My experience flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

I was never asked one question!! I was just asked to go with the lady  and we met a nurse. The nurse didn't talk to me at all just put a cold towel on my head and rechecked.  Once temperature was ok I was directed to immigration. Sure, I didn't want to end up in quarantine and I was ready to state I had a kidney stone, but again never asked! I'm not Thai bashing this is just how things are in Thailand. 

Thanks for the clarification where you say the silent nurse put a cold towel on your head and rechecked before letting you go.

By doing that standard 'medical procedure' she reduced the surface temperature of the epidermis of the typically stressed-but-not-sick passenger and, upon rechecking, found that your skin had retained the cooling effect so you were OK. On the other hand, if you did have a virus-related fever, the effects of the cooling towel would be counteracted relatively quickly by the fever-induced, elevated deeper skin temperature. This would have been red-flagged on her rechecking and you would have been detained.

As they say, the devil is indeed in the details.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the clarification where you say the silent nurse put a cold towel on your head and rechecked before letting you go.

By doing that standard 'medical procedure' she reduced the surface temperature of the epidermis of the typically stressed-but-not-sick passenger and, upon rechecking, found that your skin had retained the cooling effect so you were OK. On the other hand, if you did have a virus-related fever, the effects of the cooling towel would be counteracted relatively quickly by the fever-induced, elevated deeper skin temperature. This would have been red-flagged on her rechecking and you would have been detained.

As they say, the devil is indeed in the details.

I remember something like that. When I wanted to skip school as a kid I'd put my forehead close to the table lamp to make it hot to pretend I was sick. I guess it works the other way too. Good for TAT, just keep an ice box handy next to the thermal camera and hey, welcome to Thailaaaaaan.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tifino said:

but, isn't it, and all 100ml stuff;  all to 'remain' Sealed inside the clear through view-inspectable bag? (that would render an atomiser disinfectant bottle unuseable)

It's not sealed where did you get that idea from

I will take a 100ml hand sanitizer,100 ml mouthwash,100ml toothpaste,4-5 75mg protein bars.in a zipped clear bag

and use them on the flight.plus a pocket pack of hand wipes.

• Thanks 1

Mask filter effectiveness=.3 microns.

Coronavirus size=.12 microns.

Masks are useless.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, rastlin said:

Masks are useless.

Thank you.

Now, can you give us another scientifically sound, outwardly logical but otherwise equally useless and irrelevant argument for condom use based on the size of the average, wandering, solitary spermatozoon versus that of the everyday, itinerant AIDS virion?

While you are over their on that google machine of yours, have a quick self-enlightenment session on the meaning of the word preventative in the context of preventative measures.

15 hours ago, rastlin said:

Masks are useless.

It's not quite that simple. Most of the time the virus is attached to another molecule or bound in an aerosol like spray. Those larger molecules are indeed stopped by the filter, and the virus with it. However, you are correct that a mask can not be relied upon to completely stop the virus. Because a completely independent virus can still pass through, even though at any given time most are not in that state. If a mask is only 99% effective, but not 100%, I would not say it is "useless".  It is certainly not a guarantee, but it can still dramatically improve your chances.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:28 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never ever "sealed" my fluids in a bag. At most a zip lock bag.

Perhaps things have changed recently.

No, nothing changed. I never put my hand sanitizer bottle (30 ml) in a sealed bag. And 100 ml is still max. allowed.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, tifino said:

but, isn't it, and all 100ml stuff;  all to 'remain' Sealed inside the clear through view-inspectable bag? (that would render an atomiser disinfectant bottle unuseable)

Nonsense.

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nonsense.

thank you for that...

but it was a question, not a statement

- and has already since been clarified by 2 helpful Posts within 24 hrs of Moi Posting it... 

OP, i would reduce your level of expectations when it comes to official government announcements relating to 'taking measures, etc..'.  they are often just words and are not carried out.  recent example, the burning of the cane fields.  i'm not surprised at all that the airport procedures are not up to high standards.  sorry that you were duped by the government announcement.

if you visit siam paragon and siam center, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  they have thermal imaging at the entrances, security staff is squirting hand gel into your hands upon entry, janitors are spraying and cleaning the escalator rails, and a janitor even cleaned the ATM keypad and screen after i used it (in siam center).

I never understood the notion of having the airline security forces disarm me of nail clippers, and pocket knives and the errant allen wrench,  only to be given a knife with my in flight meal?  

Every time I have entered the Big shopping malls or gone anywhere  in Thailand,  I have had a 4  inch folding Benchmade knife on me that I could butcher an elk with, and   never has anyone said a word about it.

Edited by samuttodd

On 1/30/2020 at 10:16 AM, URMySunshine said:

The 15 litre plastic bottle is catching on - the OP might like to consider this as a cost effective prophylactic. 

Photographs have surfaced on social media which appear to show the desperate lengths people are going to to avoid catching the deadly disease which has killed more than 130 people already

They'd make great beer bongs.

Go to this map page and take a look at where the air quality is the worst...Central interior china, sections of India..http://aqicn.org/map/asia/

This is also where the Coronavirus is gaining the most traction. 

I believe this is because people that live in these regions already have lungs that are working overtime trying to just deal with the heavily polluted air, then to have to fight off a pathogen that targets pulmonary alveolar tissue (ACE 2 expressing  sites)  It is just too much for their systems to deal with...  
They fall ill at a higher rate.    Plus,  Asians have more of these receptor sites in their alveolar tissue than other demographic groups.

This may be a key factor in the different rates of infection in China and elsewhere. 
1.) Genetic factors influencing the Ace2 Expressing Tissue area in Asians being much greater than other demographics)
2.) Overall Pulmonary health of the host contributing to susceptibility (naturally)

So good news if you aren't Asian living in China or India or portions of Thailand.

That’s the story

Edited by samuttodd

58 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Go to this map page and take a look at where the air quality is the worst...Central interior china, sections of India..http://aqicn.org/map/asia/

This is also where the Coronavirus is gaining the most traction. 

I believe this is because people that live in these regions already have lungs that are working overtime trying to just deal with the heavily polluted air, then to have to fight off a pathogen that targets pulmonary alveolar tissue (ACE 2 expressing  sites)  It is just too much for their systems to deal with...  
They fall ill at a higher rate.    Plus,  Asians have more of these receptor sites in their alveolar tissue than other demographic groups.

This may be a key factor in the different rates of infection in China and elsewhere. 
1.) Genetic factors influencing the Ace2 Expressing Tissue area in Asians being much greater than other demographics)
2.) Overall Pulmonary health of the host contributing to susceptibility (naturally)

So good news if you aren't Asian living in China or India or portions of Thailand.

That’s the story

Here's a study about mortality due to viral pneumonia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6901688/

Smokers are a risk group. With the PM2.5 pollution high, pretty much everybody belongs in that group.

Thailand was apparently the most polluted yesterday or today. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1146175-who-praises-thailand’s-efforts-to-combat-pm25/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-15016166

Edited by DrTuner

On 1/29/2020 at 2:54 AM, bwpage3 said:

What exactly did you expect?

Common Sense?

Did you forget you just arrived in Thailand, the land of NO common sense?

In a serious case such as this virus, I would expect you would NOT count on anyone else for your own protections?

Certainty not Thai people!

Look maybe some OPs think your post was over the top of your Swampy experience but I am in total agreement with the above comment, Thailand is a country full of a lot of really beautiful people and generally very welcoming and friendly. That said, there are some really Dumb S###s in the place and I have to say they are not in the minority.......

Forget about it being a developing country bla..bla..bla... common sense is generally lacking across the whole spectrum of society here and from a day to day living  perspective you just accept it and put up with it and shake your head. 

But for something so potentially serious like the current coronavirus you need clam heads, a sound proactive logic and a feasible reactive effective strategy to get in front of dealing with such a threat. 

Will that ever happen in Thailand............ well we will see; only time will tell, fingers crossed.