My experience flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday

Genmai

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There's nothing worse than the arrogant, know-it-all, so-called experienced traveler, long-time Thailand visitor or lurker who's totally aware of a possible pandemic and yet gets on an international flight to Thailand which is right next to the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak and is itself chock full of visiting and transient Chinese WITHOUT PACKING AND USING HIS OWN BLOODY HAND SANITIZING GEL.

Did the OP bother to buy and wear his own mask? Didn't mention it anywhere. Or is that only required if you're a snotty, grotty Asiatic sort?

thai apologist at work so to see

if there is a chance of virus spread, is it not the country to offer basic measures ?

me for one, I don't ask to TRAVEL but are being forced after divorced and hostile ex-wife... I am a forced border runner now, if I want to be able to stay with my child ...

blabla local immigration & correct visa :  my ex-wife is keeping original documents of my child, so I cannot apply for the correct visa ... went there twice and they laugh for your misery ... not shy to say the <deleted>hole immigration is : SAMUT PRAKARN

never understood why SAMUT prakarn immigration is not RIGHT NEXT to the airport or in the aiport, no , it is in a <deleted>hole near the port 45 km further in the middle of knowhere...

you CW people are so lucky, to get all banks , restaurants, atm's, passbook machines, etc...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

I'm not taking sides here ... can see some merit in in the original post and in some of those who have reacted so ... enthusiastically.

... but a tiny point ... it's really difficult to carry bottles of ANYTHING on flights ... i can't recall seeing hand sanitizer packaged in small enough bottles to get past the scanners.

My plan is to re-pack some sanitizer into a 100ml bottle for my flight into Don Muaeng this weekend and hope nobody asks me to explain what's in it ... my Thai is limited to sawaddi-khrup and kop-kun-khrup ... and i haven't got the time or spare brain cells to memorise the Thai for "Good morning officer, It's hand sanitizer that i took out of a big bottle and put into this little bottle''*

* อรุณสวัสดิ์เจ้าหน้าที่มันเป็นเจลทำความสะอาดมือที่ฉันหยิบขวดใหญ่ออกมาแล้วใส่ลงไปในขวดเล็ก ๆ นี้ according to Google

Watsons Drugstores in Thailand has (maybe past tense "had" fits better as currently it's probably sold out) small bottles of hand sanitizer.

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, so maybe the OP was a tad dramatic in his post but instead of slagging him off big time I prefer to learn from this.

Travel to Thailand should be avoided at this present time if possible, but if absolutely necessary take your own steps to protect yourself.

Wherever in the world you are coming from masks are available: take the time to purchase the best available and sufficient for yourself and family with regular changes.

Hand sanitizers are also available in pretty much every place, if you can find the sachets better still, if possible transfer to smaller bottles. Hand wipes are also a good option.

Attempt to have as little contact with crowds as possible, carry your own pen, avoid touching the toilet door etc ( the usual stuff just be more attentive ) clean the fingerprint scanner. Etc

Never assume others are going to care about your wellbeing, airport workers primary objective is to move legal travellers on as soon as possible they probably think the hand sanitiser has been given to them as they handle many passports and probably still do not use it !!

A large portion of the visiting population in this place comes to areas where bodily fluids are exchanged with multiple persons per evening. I don't think hand sanitizers are gonna cut it. Or are we pretending Chinese go to pattaya for the beaches? 

• Haha 1

Avoid planes and airports until they have the situation under control and the number of reported cases grows at a much lesser rate. Planes have to be the worst places for infections with all that air-con recirculating the virus laden air. Is there any evidence that disinfecting the plane will prevent getting infected by the passenger next to you who coughs and sneezes during the entire long haul flight? I have cancelled my flights next month.

15 hours ago, Genmai said:

Only one IO was wearing gloves (a woman).

Open coffee mugs at the IO stations.

Staff with cheap 20 baht surgical masks on, gaps on all sides. Some pulled the masks down under their noses so they could potentially breathe in the virus better.

Staff checking passports and forms in the queue handling everything without gloves.

Photo op time for the news media... After that, who knows.... :whistling:

1226230285_2020-01-2916_32_17.jpg.62ce717c8c218f05bfdc40a651db419c.jpg

128899191_2020-01-2916_32_36.jpg.c639d4bac9fa8f20ae7b38ede6eff4dc.jpg

• Haha 1

Honestly, did anyone expect another outcome or observation?

Laws, rules and regulations here are neither followed nor enforced.

Moreover, if you as a foreigner make a fuss about anything that you see wrong, they shrug their shoulders and roll eyes.

In the sense of "What do you want, you are foreigner, we are Thai. If you don't like it, you can go home or accept our attitude"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Genmai said:

Aaah you sure got me there buddy. Yep, I didn’t bring my own hand gel. That’s why I’ve got it all wrong and airport staff are actually doing their utmost best at stopping more potentially infected people from getting through. They’re all taking their job very VERY seriously. I’m a fool and all the precautions are actually being followed through by the airport staff. Oh and the PM really does have it all under control. 

Tell me, are you the type of guy who brings his own cutlery to a restaurant? Because let me tell you, there’s nothing worse than the arrogant, know it all, so called experienced eater, long time restaurant visitor or lurker who doesn’t PACK AND USE HIS OWN BLOODY CUTLERY. Or his own airbag/seatbelt when getting in a car. Or his own arrival form. Or the myriad number of things that should be commonplace in certain situations. 

No I did not have the forethought to bring my own gel. You know who else didn’t? Literally everybody in the airport at the time. It’s the job of staff in public places to appropriately prepare such items. You know, like in a HOSPITAL?

Did your plain land at a hospital ?????? If you go to a restaurant you expect there to be knives forks etc . If you drive a car , you expect it to have a stearing wheel seatbelt etc IF YOU GO TO AN AIRPORT YOU EXPECT THERE TO BE SOMEBODY TO CHECK YOUR PASSPORT THAT'S IT, OR DO YOU EXPECT SOMEONE TO WAIT TO PICK UP YOUR SUITCASE GO THREU PASSPORT CONTROLE TAKE A TAXI AND SPEND YOUR HOLLIDAY TIME FOR YOU WHILE YOU STAY AT THE AIRPORT WAIT FOR THIS PERSON TO COME BACK CHECK IN YOUR LUGGAGE AND GIVE YOU YOUR BOARDINGPASS SO YOU CAN FLY BACK TO WHEREVER YOU CAME FROM . LOOKS LIKE YOUR A PERSON THAT WAITS FOR SOMEONE TO COME CLEAN THEIR ... AFTER THEY FINISH TAKING A .... MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE BRINGING YOUR MOMMY NEXT TIME .

13 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

I'm not taking sides here ... can see some merit in in the original post and in some of those who have reacted so ... enthusiastically.

... but a tiny point ... it's really difficult to carry bottles of ANYTHING on flights ... i can't recall seeing hand sanitizer packaged in small enough bottles to get past the scanners.

My plan is to re-pack some sanitizer into a 100ml bottle for my flight into Don Muaeng this weekend and hope nobody asks me to explain what's in it ... my Thai is limited to sawaddi-khrup and kop-kun-khrup ... and i haven't got the time or spare brain cells to memorise the Thai for "Good morning officer, It's hand sanitizer that i took out of a big bottle and put into this little bottle''*

* อรุณสวัสดิ์เจ้าหน้าที่มันเป็นเจลทำความสะอาดมือที่ฉันหยิบขวดใหญ่ออกมาแล้วใส่ลงไปในขวดเล็ก ๆ นี้ according to Google

There are small bottles of hand sanitizer sold . Its like a small spray bottle not much bigger then a lighter .

• Like 1

As for learning disinfectant in Thai - sure, I’ll do that if you willing teach it to the millions of potentially infected Chinese visitors coming here AND get them to ask for it.

Chinese already have it. It's the Chinese who are dying, no-one else. They're prepared. You werent.

Runny nose doesn't mean you are infected.

1 hour ago, sucit said:

A large portion of the visiting population in this place comes to areas where bodily fluids are exchanged with multiple persons per evening. I don't think hand sanitizers are gonna cut it. Or are we pretending Chinese go to pattaya for the beaches? 

I thought the OP was about Coronavirus and how to take precautions while traveling ?

What happens here is a different matter altogether and people should protect themselves appropriately.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There's nothing worse than the arrogant, know-it-all, so-called experienced traveler, long-time Thailand visitor or lurker who's totally aware of a possible pandemic and yet gets on an international flight to Thailand which is right next to the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak and is itself chock full of visiting and transient Chinese WITHOUT PACKING AND USING HIS OWN BLOODY HAND SANITIZING GEL.

Did the OP bother to buy and wear his own mask? Didn't mention it anywhere. Or is that only required if you're a snotty, grotty Asiatic sort?

A total dingbat if you ask me!

Aaah you sure got me there buddy. Yep, I didn’t bring my own hand gel. That’s why I’ve got it all wrong and airport staff are actually doing their utmost best at stopping more potentially infected people from getting through. They’re all taking their job very VERY seriously. I’m a fool and all the precautions are actually being followed through by the airport staff. Oh and the PM really does have it all under control. 

Tell me, are you the type of guy who brings his own cutlery to a restaurant? Because let me tell you, there’s nothing worse than the arrogant, know it all, so called experienced eater, long time restaurant visitor or lurker who doesn’t PACK AND USE HIS OWN BLOODY CUTLERY. Or his own airbag/seatbelt when getting in a car. Or his own arrival form. Or the myriad number of things that should be commonplace in certain situations. 

No I did not have the forethought to bring my own gel. You know who else didn’t? Literally everybody in the airport at the time. It’s the job of staff in public places to appropriately prepare such items. You know, like in a HOSPITAL?

Don't panic. Many people in Thailand are worrying about the coronavirus. The probability of getting infected is 1000.000 times less than to get infected by a mosquito (aedes aegypti = dengue or aedes anopheles = malaria) or to have a fatal accident. You can kiss or having sex with your partner without fear. The most important precautious action is to wash your hands very often. Hands are the most contagious parts of your body. Take care for yourself, don't blame others. The status for the medical judgement is not different from a normal flu.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jabis said:

Thailand just rose to the top of the leaderboard, after Mainland - deaths have not been updated in 2 days - happy travels ????
image.png.9855de89edfc60e4bfcecd026855a20a.png

All the stats are being updated in real time on WeChat. The ones inside China anyway.

I think it's about 80 people outside China so they'll have to monitored in the coutrl they're in.