My experience flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday

Genmai

2 hours ago, Genmai said:

For all you know I could have walked through with a respirator and gloves covered head to toe in diesel with my own pen etc etc. You're obviously missing the point I'm making here.

And you are totally missing that huge amount of people that not agree with you. You might do better to reconsider and understand that you are over reacting. However, with the long reply I have no hope that is going to happen. So, just move on with you misery and negative attitude. You would also do well in understanding that these people you are talking about have this as an everyday work, which I would assume can be very stressing sometime. If you just had some understanding for that, then it would probably help a lot. Finally he gave you the hand sanitizer, didn´t he? What are you complaining about then?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Genmai said:

And I could equally reckon you're a Thai apologist who in his quest to distance himself from the self perceived guilt of a Western heritage takes great pleasure in making unsubstantiated character attacks at any other farang who take the slightest issue with any aspect of this country. You can reckon whatever you like mate, doesn't make a difference to me. It's probably much the same to you. What matters is the truth. Why don't you pop down to Swampy arrivals yourself and let us know your observations?

For all you know I could have walked through with a respirator and gloves covered head to toe in diesel with my own pen etc etc. You're obviously missing the point I'm making here. All of us could take all of the precautions necessary. But it wouldn't make a damn difference if the officials in charge of public spaces do everything they can to further facilitate the spread of the virus instead of putting 2 brain cells together. For every one of us who comes prepared there are thousands of Chinese and other travelers who don't. That's just the simple truth whether you like it or not. Further transmissions could be reduced if airport staff actually did what they claimed in the article.

@Letseng @ujayujay @galenjones @madmen @Nanaplaza666 @ThaiBunny @Matzzon @MaxiMaxi @WinnieTheKhwai @buick @thaibeachlovers @faraday @NanLaew @mike787 @bwpage3 @shy coconut

Let me ask you all just one thing. Do you have a wife/kids/SO/girlfriend here? Because I'd bet that if you do and they happened to catch this virus then you would all change your tune pretty quickly. You might wish that the officials and airport staff had actually done something to prevent the situation from escalating instead of lying to everyone like they always do. You might even wish that there would have been more people making a fuss about how nothing was done to prevent the spread and fewer people who told the "arrogant know-it-all Thai-bashing naysayers" to get a grip and leave if they didn't like it.

Actually the mark of an uneducated individual is attacking someone's character when one can't or won't address the content of their statement, which is something that seems to be happening quite a lot in this thread.

As we can clearly see it's not just Thais - many foreign expats here seem to be more than willing to adopt the same attitude you've described.

Finally, yes exactly, someone gets it. The airport is a hospital. Thank you.

Your first mistake is believing anyone would do anything.

The PM is prancing around the airport in a paper mask, even thought WHO has already stated masks are useless.

That should be enough evidence

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

i'm wondering when does the OP leave...can't wait to read the departure experience...

My jokey post about barricading yourself in your hotel room would seem to be the logical approach if he has the level of fear he expressed in his OP and subsequent follow ups. The psychological element though is real and my experience last night in Hat Yai surprised me as to how our brains work with the feeling element trumping the thinking bit. Seeing groups of mainland Chinese trolling around caused us some mild alarm and I can't see us staying here any longer than necessary as the joy has been taken out of the experience for the time being. And if we were to get ill I would rather be back at home in the UK than here.

Goodness me!! What a nauseating superior know it all creep you appear to be. I am certainly happy that I have never met you and even more certainly never want to meet you. Suggest you take whatever precautions you feel are right for you and let others do the same without the likes of you giving criticism. 

If you don't like what you see fly out and go somewhere safe!!! 

• Like 2

one thing that was not mentioned by the OP was where the fright originated or passed through, probably not China, the response from the authorities was that chinese tourists would be checked and looked at to try to contain the spread of the virus not every flight the entered the land of smiles

27 minutes ago, jewell49 said:

one thing that was not mentioned by the OP was where the fright originated or passed through, probably not China, the response from the authorities was that chinese tourists would be checked and looked at to try to contain the spread of the virus not every flight the entered the land of smiles

Your right with the misspelling I'm going on a fright later this afternoon !  ????

I can't now read the original post without adding my own Thai TV sound effects now - booinggg , kertishh , wakh wah - as comedy keystone cops harass the entry of Basil Fawlty into the Land of Misery...

On 1/29/2020 at 1:14 AM, NanLaew said:

There's nothing worse than the arrogant, know-it-all, so-called experienced traveler, long-time Thailand visitor or lurker who's totally aware of a possible pandemic and yet gets on an international flight to Thailand which is right next to the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak and is itself chock full of visiting and transient Chinese WITHOUT PACKING AND USING HIS OWN BLOODY HAND SANITIZING GEL.

Did the OP bother to buy and wear his own mask? Didn't mention it anywhere. Or is that only required if you're a snotty, grotty Asiatic sort?

Seldom read such an arrogant and ignorant statement!
Edited by harrythai
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:57 AM, pdtokyo said:

I'm not taking sides here ... can see some merit in in the original post and in some of those who have reacted so ... enthusiastically.

... but a tiny point ... it's really difficult to carry bottles of ANYTHING on flights ... i can't recall seeing hand sanitizer packaged in small enough bottles to get past the scanners.

My plan is to re-pack some sanitizer into a 100ml bottle for my flight into Don Muaeng this weekend and hope nobody asks me to explain what's in it ... my Thai is limited to sawaddi-khrup and kop-kun-khrup ... and i haven't got the time or spare brain cells to memorise the Thai for "Good morning officer, It's hand sanitizer that i took out of a big bottle and put into this little bottle''*

* อรุณสวัสดิ์เจ้าหน้าที่มันเป็นเจลทำความสะอาดมือที่ฉันหยิบขวดใหญ่ออกมาแล้วใส่ลงไปในขวดเล็ก ๆ นี้ according to Google

The alcohol wipes are not difficult to carry on. They are $1. This is ridiculous, it is not difficult to carry some sort of hand sanitizer onto a plane. 

• Like 2

Now its a corona virus, everybody worried. There are more viruses which can make you sick.

Again a virus in Asia. Is it by coincidence or some organisation set it out?!

As it says: Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people 

They created the virus for humans and test it now? Guess all is possible nowadays

Thailand and cleaning? In fact any other country, millions of people gathering in airports, planes or what ever. you can always run into something. You ever checked your hotel room with black or was it UV light?

MAybe you are not so happy with your room then.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

The PM is prancing around the airport in a paper mask, even thought WHO has already stated masks are useless.

got any link leading to that statement of the WHO ?

Apart from the useless paper mask, actually a few mask types are efficient against the contamination with airborne droplets, for example three-layered surgical green or blue masks

Edited by crazygreg44

5 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Know anything about the history of Christmas Island? If you do, you will know it does NOT host adequate ccommodation or medical facilities. If you want one small example ... no child has been born on C.I for twenty years because the tiny island hospital cannot support even a normal child birth ... read this ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-22/its-20-years-since-the-last-baby-was-born-on-christmas-island/10666124

... no facilities have been added since 2019

the hospital was enlarged and more staff sent there, in March 2019

and today this:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/christmas-island-most-responsible-place-for-evacuees-peter-dutton/news-story/22dee72b06b54b6a611679a26f25df37

Edited by crazygreg44

The OP did a very good job thank you for this information and spending your time for it.

It is sad to see how many simple-minded TV members are present contributing their utter BS to this fantastic post. This post shows clearly the difference between the official information (maybe also statistics) and the reality. I think this is what the OP want to say/show. This coincide my assumption and make me more worry as I can see how the sickness might spread on Thai soil. (I don't hope so)

I just can repeat it from another post:

The hospital is the last place you want to be now. Any measure you can take to minimize the risk must be done to stay healthy. It is assumed that the Spanish flu was less lethal how ever the circumstances that so many had it lead to improper handling of the patience hence the big amount of death due to pneumonia caused be post bacteria infection.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Haecksler said:

The OP did a very good job thank you for this information and spending your time for it.

It is sad to see how many simple-minded TV members are present contributing their utter BS to this fantastic post. This post shows clearly the difference between the official information (maybe also statistics) and the reality. I think this is what the OP want to say/show. This coincide my assumption and make me more worry as I can see how the sickness might spread on Thai soil. (I don't hope so)

I just can repeat it from another post:

The hospital is the last place you want to be now. Any measure you can take to minimize the risk must be done to stay healthy. It is assumed that the Spanish flu was less lethal how ever the circumstances that so many had it lead to improper handling of the patience hence the big amount of death due to pneumonia caused be post bacteria infection.

So Genmai joins TVF in 2015 and doesn't really post until now and you joined in 2011 and didn't really post until now. I think that tells its own story. Most of us have difficulty remembering a password from last week never mind 9 years ago !

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Doesn't bring his own disinfectant.

this is the part i love.  i can't imagine demanding 'hand gel' from an immigration officer in any country around the world.  once you've touched all the stuff you don't want to touch, you just go to the toilet in the baggage claim and wash your hands.  i prefer to carry the hand gel but if i don't have any, i just proceed to the toilet and wash the hands. 

• Like 1