My experience flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday

Genmai

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nonsense.

thank you for that...

but it was a question, not a statement

- and has already since been clarified by 2 helpful Posts within 24 hrs of Moi Posting it... 

OP, i would reduce your level of expectations when it comes to official government announcements relating to 'taking measures, etc..'.  they are often just words and are not carried out.  recent example, the burning of the cane fields.  i'm not surprised at all that the airport procedures are not up to high standards.  sorry that you were duped by the government announcement.

if you visit siam paragon and siam center, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  they have thermal imaging at the entrances, security staff is squirting hand gel into your hands upon entry, janitors are spraying and cleaning the escalator rails, and a janitor even cleaned the ATM keypad and screen after i used it (in siam center).

I never understood the notion of having the airline security forces disarm me of nail clippers, and pocket knives and the errant allen wrench,  only to be given a knife with my in flight meal?  

Every time I have entered the Big shopping malls or gone anywhere  in Thailand,  I have had a 4  inch folding Benchmade knife on me that I could butcher an elk with, and   never has anyone said a word about it.

Edited by samuttodd

Go to this map page and take a look at where the air quality is the worst...Central interior china, sections of India..http://aqicn.org/map/asia/

This is also where the Coronavirus is gaining the most traction. 

I believe this is because people that live in these regions already have lungs that are working overtime trying to just deal with the heavily polluted air, then to have to fight off a pathogen that targets pulmonary alveolar tissue (ACE 2 expressing  sites)  It is just too much for their systems to deal with...  
They fall ill at a higher rate.    Plus,  Asians have more of these receptor sites in their alveolar tissue than other demographic groups.

This may be a key factor in the different rates of infection in China and elsewhere. 
1.) Genetic factors influencing the Ace2 Expressing Tissue area in Asians being much greater than other demographics)
2.) Overall Pulmonary health of the host contributing to susceptibility (naturally)

So good news if you aren't Asian living in China or India or portions of Thailand.

That’s the story

Edited by samuttodd

58 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Go to this map page and take a look at where the air quality is the worst...Central interior china, sections of India..http://aqicn.org/map/asia/

This is also where the Coronavirus is gaining the most traction. 

I believe this is because people that live in these regions already have lungs that are working overtime trying to just deal with the heavily polluted air, then to have to fight off a pathogen that targets pulmonary alveolar tissue (ACE 2 expressing  sites)  It is just too much for their systems to deal with...  
They fall ill at a higher rate.    Plus,  Asians have more of these receptor sites in their alveolar tissue than other demographic groups.

This may be a key factor in the different rates of infection in China and elsewhere. 
1.) Genetic factors influencing the Ace2 Expressing Tissue area in Asians being much greater than other demographics)
2.) Overall Pulmonary health of the host contributing to susceptibility (naturally)

So good news if you aren't Asian living in China or India or portions of Thailand.

That’s the story

Here's a study about mortality due to viral pneumonia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6901688/

Smokers are a risk group. With the PM2.5 pollution high, pretty much everybody belongs in that group.

Thailand was apparently the most polluted yesterday or today. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1146175-who-praises-thailand’s-efforts-to-combat-pm25/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-15016166

Edited by DrTuner

On 1/29/2020 at 2:54 AM, bwpage3 said:

What exactly did you expect?

Common Sense?

Did you forget you just arrived in Thailand, the land of NO common sense?

In a serious case such as this virus, I would expect you would NOT count on anyone else for your own protections?

Certainty not Thai people!

Look maybe some OPs think your post was over the top of your Swampy experience but I am in total agreement with the above comment, Thailand is a country full of a lot of really beautiful people and generally very welcoming and friendly. That said, there are some really Dumb S###s in the place and I have to say they are not in the minority.......

Forget about it being a developing country bla..bla..bla... common sense is generally lacking across the whole spectrum of society here and from a day to day living  perspective you just accept it and put up with it and shake your head. 

But for something so potentially serious like the current coronavirus you need clam heads, a sound proactive logic and a feasible reactive effective strategy to get in front of dealing with such a threat. 

Will that ever happen in Thailand............ well we will see; only time will tell, fingers crossed. 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:49 PM, Monomial said:

The black death killed only 20 - 30 million.

and what was the world's population then? Way less than 8 billion, for sure.

I'll forgo the desire to postulate on Gaia's input on it, but certainly hand disinfectant ain't going to do diddly squat in preventing it spreading when most people now live in overcrowded cities- the ideal way to breed incurable diseases, and our desire to travel by air is the ideal way to spread it worldwide rapidly.

So what do they do- check people AFTER they have spent hours breathing infected people's exhalations. Even a simple person can work out the way to prevent spread is by checking passengers BEFORE they fly.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:49 AM, Monomial said:

Don't panic. Be logical. Demand the damned hand sanitizer. You need to be concerned about this.

Why?

Sanitizing your hands does not protect you from a virus that is transmitted via the air (exhaled droplets) and infects your lungs ...

/facepalm

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Enki said:

Why?

Sanitizing your hands does not protect you from a virus that is transmitted via the air (exhaled droplets) and infects your lungs ...

/facepalm

if those exhaled droplets land on the finger pad scanner and the person sticks their finger in their mouth up up their nose could they catch it ?

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

if those exhaled droplets land on the finger pad scanner and the person sticks their finger in their mouth up up their nose could they catch it ?

Yes. But that is a far sketched scenario. You most likely see the one in front of you sneezing, or not?

On 1/29/2020 at 8:08 AM, shy coconut said:

I reckon you're just upset because the IO stamped you in without any extra questions,

hoping you could report about the awful treatment you received.

Where are these pens of which you speak and why would you need to use one?

I fill out the form on the plane stating where I'm staying, and flight details etc, but

then again I fly in and out quite often and prepare accordingly.

I too fill out mine on the plane on the fold down tray that I've wiped down with my own sanitizer when I first boarded the plane

9 hours ago, Enki said:

Why?

/facepalm

The average person touches their face over 50 times in an hour. That is the biggest transmission mechanism. While a virus can survive airborn, it is much more easily transmitted on a less harsh medium such as a countertop or your hand. As I said earlier about masks, the fact that something is only 99% effective rather than 100% does not mean it is useless. Wear a mask to protect yourself from suspended droplets. Use hand sanitizer always to protect yourself from virally loaded particles on a surface, and your chances of catching the virus diminish to being infected by free floating virus surviving alone in the air.

If you can limit the only transmission vector to independent viral particles in the air less than 0.3 microns, the virus is  going to die out very quickly. That is a very difficult way to spread a virus.

Edit:  Also, I hope you used hand santizer before you "/facepalmed". That is a perfect example of a very effective way to spread a virus.

Edited by Monomial

On 1/30/2020 at 12:59 PM, pdtokyo said:

o dear, if The Australian and Peter Dutton are your source of information and influencers then there is little further i can say to help you ...

But today's revelation is that for the privilege of being flown to 'safety' on C.I, Oz government wants each passenger to cough up (no pun intended) A$1,000 or approx B20,000 ...

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australians-will-need-to-pay-1000-to-be-evacuated-from-wuhan-20200130-p53w71.html

After the 14 day quarantine, the victims will be dumped at nearest mainland airport (Perth) and told to find their own way home. Chances are they live in Sydney or Melbourne and flew over their homes on the way from China to Christmas Island. Another $300 - $700 airfare there.

Government have assured everyone that if necessary, evacuees needing medical attention would be further relocated to mainland hospitals ... now why would they even bother to say that if the Christmas Island facilities were adequate?

Also, Australian Medical Association (basically, the group representing all Australian doctors) thinks it's a <deleted> idea. But what would they know?

All a bit academic anyway, at time of writing the Oz 'rescue' flights have not got Chinese authority to leave.

So if I get what you are saying correctly, QANTAS flew south from China over Sydney and Melbourne then did a U turn and flew north to pretty well Indonesia.

Geography doesn't appear to be one of your strengths.

Darwin is much closer to Christmas Island than Perth by the way.

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2020 at 10:17 AM, tifino said:

but, isn't it, and all 100ml stuff;  all to 'remain' Sealed inside the clear through view-inspectable bag? (that would render an atomiser disinfectant bottle unuseable)

Could always do what I did. Take it out of the bag and use it after the fingerprint scanner.