BANGKOK
Genmai

My experience flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There's nothing worse than the arrogant, know-it-all, so-called experienced traveler, long-time Thailand visitor or lurker who's totally aware of a possible pandemic and yet gets on an international flight to Thailand which is right next to the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak and is itself chock full of visiting and transient Chinese WITHOUT PACKING AND USING HIS OWN BLOODY HAND SANITIZING GEL.

Did the OP bother to buy and wear his own mask? Didn't mention it anywhere. Or is that only required if you're a snotty, grotty Asiatic sort?

The OP didn't even mention where he/she boarded the plane. The airport concentrates on flights from China. 

• Like 1

You make a big thing about Thailand. What about your own country?

I arrived in Vienna this morning. They are very concerned about the Corona virus as they have lots of tourists from China. Austria doesn't allow to partly cover your face i.e. also no face masks. You can get fined. No IO has protection nor is hand sanitizer available. We always have our own. Btw, after I touched this "gross" finger printing device  when leaving Bkk I got a disinfectant  tissue out and wiped my hands. Why didn't you carry your own?

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 2

I reckon your fingers will wear down to your elbows before any virus manages to get you.

2 hours ago, Genmai said:

For all you know I could have walked through with a respirator and gloves covered head to toe in diesel with my own pen etc etc. You're obviously missing the point I'm making here.

And you are totally missing that huge amount of people that not agree with you. You might do better to reconsider and understand that you are over reacting. However, with the long reply I have no hope that is going to happen. So, just move on with you misery and negative attitude. You would also do well in understanding that these people you are talking about have this as an everyday work, which I would assume can be very stressing sometime. If you just had some understanding for that, then it would probably help a lot. Finally he gave you the hand sanitizer, didn´t he? What are you complaining about then?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Genmai said:

And I could equally reckon you're a Thai apologist who in his quest to distance himself from the self perceived guilt of a Western heritage takes great pleasure in making unsubstantiated character attacks at any other farang who take the slightest issue with any aspect of this country. You can reckon whatever you like mate, doesn't make a difference to me. It's probably much the same to you. What matters is the truth. Why don't you pop down to Swampy arrivals yourself and let us know your observations?

For all you know I could have walked through with a respirator and gloves covered head to toe in diesel with my own pen etc etc. You're obviously missing the point I'm making here. All of us could take all of the precautions necessary. But it wouldn't make a damn difference if the officials in charge of public spaces do everything they can to further facilitate the spread of the virus instead of putting 2 brain cells together. For every one of us who comes prepared there are thousands of Chinese and other travelers who don't. That's just the simple truth whether you like it or not. Further transmissions could be reduced if airport staff actually did what they claimed in the article.

@Letseng @ujayujay @galenjones @madmen @Nanaplaza666 @ThaiBunny @Matzzon @MaxiMaxi @WinnieTheKhwai @buick @thaibeachlovers @faraday @NanLaew @mike787 @bwpage3 @shy coconut

Let me ask you all just one thing. Do you have a wife/kids/SO/girlfriend here? Because I'd bet that if you do and they happened to catch this virus then you would all change your tune pretty quickly. You might wish that the officials and airport staff had actually done something to prevent the situation from escalating instead of lying to everyone like they always do. You might even wish that there would have been more people making a fuss about how nothing was done to prevent the spread and fewer people who told the "arrogant know-it-all Thai-bashing naysayers" to get a grip and leave if they didn't like it.

Actually the mark of an uneducated individual is attacking someone's character when one can't or won't address the content of their statement, which is something that seems to be happening quite a lot in this thread.

As we can clearly see it's not just Thais - many foreign expats here seem to be more than willing to adopt the same attitude you've described.

Finally, yes exactly, someone gets it. The airport is a hospital. Thank you.

Your first mistake is believing anyone would do anything.

The PM is prancing around the airport in a paper mask, even thought WHO has already stated masks are useless.

That should be enough evidence

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Australia is known for being utterly strict on imports of foreign animals and foodstuff, so quarantine issues are better solved on Christmas Island, which obviously musst host adequate accommodation and medical stations or they would not detour flights from Wuhan firstly there. Regarding that Wuhan is the center of the outbreak, no other measure makes sense, no better caution could have been taken.

Don't worry, everybody showing no symptoms will be forwarded safely to mainland Australia. 

By the way, Australian scientists are the first in the World who started to isolate & breed the corona-virus, in order to develop vaccines.  You should be proud of your government, not angry

Know anything about the history of Christmas Island? If you do, you will know it does NOT host adequate ccommodation or medical facilities. If you want one small example ... no child has been born on C.I for twenty years because the tiny island hospital cannot support even a normal child birth ... read this ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-22/its-20-years-since-the-last-baby-was-born-on-christmas-island/10666124

... no facilities have been added since 2019.

No other measure makes sense? Really?? Are UK, US, Japanese, Canadian governments evacuating their residents to islands 2,600km from mainland? No. These countries all have plenty of remote islands at their disposal but chose sensible alternatives ... read this ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-wuhan-china-quarantine-outbreak-travel-evacuation-a9307606.html

... Australia has plenty of military bases ... many are currently under-populated as Army personnel are assisting with bush fires in remote areas. I live on the semi-rural south coast of Australia and there are at least three sizeable bases with 200kms of my home.

Australian scientists? i am immensely proud of Australian scientists ... they do a great job in the face of ruthless and sustained academic funding cuts from the current government. The reproduction of the coronavirus in the lab was not performed by anyone in the government or at their direction but at the independent Peter Doherty institute ...

https://www.doherty.edu.au/about/support-us

using their own initiative and funds.

So yes, i'm hugely proud of our scientists and justifiably angry with this government ... their handling of the Wuhan evacuation is the tip of a very big iceberg of incompetence and if you want evidence of that, Google "Australian bush fires" ... happy reading.

• Like 2

I cannot believe the I/O didn't blacklist you permanently and kick you out on the spot.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

i'm wondering when does the OP leave...can't wait to read the departure experience...

My jokey post about barricading yourself in your hotel room would seem to be the logical approach if he has the level of fear he expressed in his OP and subsequent follow ups. The psychological element though is real and my experience last night in Hat Yai surprised me as to how our brains work with the feeling element trumping the thinking bit. Seeing groups of mainland Chinese trolling around caused us some mild alarm and I can't see us staying here any longer than necessary as the joy has been taken out of the experience for the time being. And if we were to get ill I would rather be back at home in the UK than here.