Coming to Bangkok, what do I need?

kolder

Coming to Bangkok in a few days.

As I understand it, there is a fingerscanner in the airport where I need to put my finger so I better buy some some hand gel to minimize risk of the virus. Is it possible to buy at the air port?

What about face mask, what is considered ok and what is considered not good enough? 

I need to show my passport in order to get a sim card? How much does it cost?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, kolder said:

Is it possible to buy at the air port?

7-eleven sells antibiotic gel

the finger scanner is what's single-handedly spreading these viruses so as long as you wash your hands after using it you have nothing to worry about

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

If you really want to be safe, something like this should suffice!

Yes, agree!

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Bring plenty of money.

The useless and worthless scanner at the airport is all 4 fingers on both hands followed by the thumbs.

What do you mean useless and worthless? Also, is it mandatory to use them? Haven't been to an airport in many years.

5 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

the finger scanner is what's single-handedly spreading these viruses so as long as you wash your hands after using it you have nothing to worry about

But I guess in order to get to the 7 eleven, I would have to go through the finger scanner first upon arrival?

i'm not sure about your location but the hand gel is widely available in most developed countries.  can typically obtain it at any local drugstore/pharmacy the day before you depart.  buy some masks also.  they aren't 100% effective but certainly help.  whatever you do, don't touch your face before washing your hands.  be careful when taking off the mask, take it off by straps around the ears.  the 'standard' mask is only good for one use.  once it is off, put it in trash.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Don't put your fingers in your mouth on the way to 7/11

Or bring a small container of alcohol gel with you from home, small so it doesn't attract much attention in your cabin bag.  And use it very quickly after your finger and thumb prints are scanned. Or as alreaady suggested after passing passport control go quickly to 7/11 convenience store and buy the alcohol gel and quickly 'wash' your fingers / thumbs, hands. And don't ouch your face, mouth, eyes until totally cleaned.

And considering that the Imm. officers are handling many documents I'd be tempted to quickly wipe your douments down with a small amount of the gel after you leave the passport desk.

From all reports the main transfer method of the virus is through vapour from breath and nose so keep your distanced from others as much as possible. 

8 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

So immediately after Immigration, go to wash your hands, before touching ANYTHING. Almost impossible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

All the big Telecom companies have retail outlets in most malls...50 THB for a sim.  I just set my gf up with True sim and 4 Mbps speed and 30 GB of data..30 days for 100 THB.  

...that's nice dear.

Can travel with hand sanitizer  2 oz or 100 mil bottle carry on.  You could give multiple bottles as long as 100 mil or less.   Bring a big box of n95 masks. You can always give those away as gifts but in Asia most people need small sizes which are not always available in Western Country. 

I guess they are saying your eyes need to be covered to be real safe against the direct sneeze or something. I agree I would not travel to Thailand during this time. Because when you get home you are taking that risk to everyone you meet for 2 weeks. We are going to find out in the next 10 days if Thailand is going to really be in trouble or not. They are playing with the rabid dog I do not see how they are not going to get bit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, buick said:

i'm not sure about your location but the hand gel is widely available in most developed countries.  can typically obtain it at any local drugstore/pharmacy the day before you depart.  buy some masks also.  they aren't 100% effective but certainly help.  whatever you do, don't touch your face before washing your hands.  be careful when taking off the mask, take it off by straps around the ears.  the 'standard' mask is only good for one use.  once it is off, put it in trash.

We are travelling with small children as well, this is going to be a challenge. 

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Anything to do with the coronavirus is in short supply or often unavailable around BKK right now.

So unless you want to spend much of your trip hunting around from place to place looking for necessary supplies only to find them sold out, you'd be far better off to bring anything you think you'll need with you.

--N95 class disposable face masks (both for the virus AND air pollution)

--alcohol-based (no water needed) hand sanitizer for when traveling and out and around.

--regular liquid hand soap for when at home / hotel etc.

Thanks, will try to get this, as I understands it, it needs to be 100ml or less in order for it to be allowed on the flight.

4 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I went to four places in Phuket, and after arriving in Bangkok today, I went to two more pharmacies looking for masks and hand sanitizer. All were sold out. Make sure you bring your own supplies with you. 

wow, that is bad!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

IF I were you pal, I'd stay home and come later when the situation clarifies itself a bit more. If you can't afford to change your flight, you may wish to reconsider whether you wish to travel to Bangkok given the smog, the humidity the coronavirus, and especially the strong baht. Bangkok half as clean as the rest of the world at twice the price.

Not the best time to travel, I agree.

43 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Can travel with hand sanitizer  2 oz or 100 mil bottle carry on.  You could give multiple bottles as long as 100 mil or less.   Bring a big box of n95 masks. You can always give those away as gifts but in Asia most people need small sizes which are not always available in Western Country. 

I guess they are saying your eyes need to be covered to be real safe against the direct sneeze or something. I agree I would not travel to Thailand during this time. Because when you get home you are taking that risk to everyone you meet for 2 weeks. We are going to find out in the next 10 days if Thailand is going to really be in trouble or not. They are playing with the rabid dog I do not see how they are not going to get bit. 

100 ml is allowed, that is good to know. 

6 hours ago, moontang said:

All the big Telecom companies have retail outlets in most malls...50 THB for a sim.  I just set my gf up with True sim and 4 Mbps speed and 30 GB of data..30 days for 100 THB.  

Sounds good.

Is it necessary to register my passport number with the sim card?