Bangkok bank issues.

I went to open a bank account with Bangkok bank yesterday and was confronted with the following issue. 

I was required to take out insurance cover 5080 baht because of the following reason

See attached..

Had no issues with Kasikorn a few weeks ago when I renewed the chip card.

Only for then 1st year. 

Apparently 1 in 100 come up like this, but only Bangkok bank. 

As usual, no further explanation is offered...

received_177626433593098.jpeg

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just walk in another branch.

There are many bank branches that like doing the 'have to by insurance' scam.

They said that once the system has flagged it will come up in any other Bangkok bank. 

I didn't proceed.

People who are between 50 and 100 years also...

New accounts. 

20200128_111158.jpg

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

They said that once the system has flagged it will come up in any other Bangkok bank. 

I didn't proceed.

'They' don't know anything about their own bank.

'They' will say and do anything to earn the commission on that policy.

But, hey, believe what you like, Bangkok Bank don't even have a debit card that works online.

• Like 1

Thailand is rarely consistent in anything. You could probably go in to the same branch see a different person and get an entirely different experience.

They may carry the same name but each branch is also different. As strange as it may seem, it's a lottery as to what happens on the day. This is Thailand. If you don't like your experience just move to another branch as others have said.

Nothing special about Bangkok bank that I'm aware of, I think KBank and TMB are better anyway.

• Like 1

i have two kbank accounts, when opening each account i was offered, in a way that sounded compulsory, insurance, but i simply said 'no thanks' and that closed the issue. i guess staff are told to 'offer' insurance and are simply ticking the box.

the standard advice prevails; if you dont get the answer you want at one bank/branch simply go to another

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

'They' don't know anything about their own bank.

'They' will say and do anything to earn the commission on that policy.

But, hey, believe what you like, Bangkok Bank don't even have a debit card that works online.

Your first two sentences are probably correct.

However, The last one sucks BIG. They have a debit visa card, that i use for everything I need online. 

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Your first two sentences are probably correct.

However, The last one sucks BIG. They have a debit visa card, that i use for everything I need online. 

That card is no longer available.  UnionPay or MasterCard are the only options.

• Like 1

They just follow banks in Europe that have turned to insurance and real estate agents. And that was even before I left in 2011.

I was negatively surprised to note that this desperate attempt to make some extra money has swapped over.

Recently I was there for getting the bank letter.

While sitting an elderly female clerk approached me whether I want to have insurance. Annoying.

I remember posts in the forum about Kasikorn requesting even pricier insurance like 8000 Baht or so.

I am happy that I have accounts, doing most stuff online and avoid visits at the branches as good as possible. Kind of sad but...

5 hours ago, dallen52 said:

People who are between 50 and 100 years also...

"PA 1st senior"

From Bangkok Insurance Company.

Kind of weird and unrelated, but this was used by a visa agent for my friend in Jomtien. Accepted as health insurance for his one year extension (based on Non O-A visa). "Special arrangement" :whistling:

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

"PA 1st senior"

From Bangkok Insurance Company.

Kind of weird and unrelated, but this was used by a visa agent for my friend in Jomtien. Accepted as health insurance for his one year extension (based on Non O-A visa). "Special arrangement" :whistling:

How much did he pay the VISA agent?

I'm thinking a bit of used toilet paper would have been accepted as health insurance if he'd paid enough.

Why would anyone take insurance on a bank account or debit card? What a rort.

According to card schemes like visa and mastercard, it's the issuing bank that's responsible for any foul play. Credit card insurance is slightly more understandable for people unable to manage their spending and are suddenly unable to pay their debt.

12 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

Why would anyone take insurance on a bank account or debit card? What a rort.

According to card schemes like visa and mastercard, it's the issuing bank that's responsible for any foul play. Credit card insurance is slightly more understandable for people unable to manage their spending and are suddenly unable to pay their debt.

I think you may have ever so slightly misunderstood what insurance is being sold.  Post 4 on the previous page may help.

• Thanks 1