Dog attack: Pit Bull savages mother and toddler in NE Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Myran said:

The "nanny dog" strikes again. They should be illegal to breed so that we can get rid of them in the coming decade. 

Wrong breed, Staffordshire Bull terriers are referred to as nanny dogs.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, gunderhill said:

Stupidity dictates that by doing so the neighbours would  have  beaten him as well as forever souring his  name.

Dogs here have more rights than humans, more's  the pity.

He should have shot the neighbour as well then

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

It was bull terriers that were called pig dogs, not pitbulls.

Pit Bull is a description for a type of dog, but American Pit Bull Terriers are a breed. Other breeds that rightfully fall under the term “Pit Bull” include the American Staffordshire Terrier, the American bulldog, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Although most people think that this is because of the pig-like appearance of the head and eyes, it is more likely that the name came about because cross-bred bull terriers were used in the past for bush-pig and warthog hunting in South Africa, particularly in the Eastern Cape.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, BestB said:

On 1/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, BestB said:

Do tell how exactly they breed them to be violent?

They are not bred to be violent they are trained to be violent either purposely or due to their tratment by the 'owners'.  There is indeed a serious dog problem in Thailand.  Following is a letter I wrote to the village administrator 3 years ago - to date I have received no reply and no action has been taken.  I suppose the excuse is that they can't read English!

Dear Sirs:

As I am sure you are aware the number of dogs running loose and wild in the village is out of control.  Dogs are beginning to chase and snarl at motorcycles and will eventually cause a serious accident.  Small children playing on the streets are susceptible to attacks and even death by dog packs.  Do we want these preventable occurrences in our neighbourhood?

As an example, in Canada there are an average of two deaths caused by dogs each year.  In the USA 9,500 people each year are hospitalized and about 30 deaths result from attacks by dogs. Domesticated dogs are responsible for over 100 fatalities worldwide each year.

I would like to suggest that the village issue dog licenses to generate income for the village and perhaps control the dog population. A village sponsored spaying/neutering program would raise awareness of controlling the pet population.   My neighbour on the right has 6 dogs (4 of which are about two months old) and the neighbour on the left has at least 3 dogs.

Following is a suggested dog license fee schedule for yearly licenses:

COST PER DOG/YEAR (BAHT)

No. of Dogs

Spayed/Neutered

Non-neutered

50฿

100฿

100฿ each

200฿ each

150฿ each

300฿ each

4 or more

200฿ each

400฿ each

All fees would be due and payable on January 1st each year.  Any unlicensed dogs would be captured and euthanized!

I trust this letter will be given due attention and prompt immediate action before there is a serious incident!

• Like 1

We have dog problems from time to time. I got really p1zzed off the other week so when in Phitsanulok last week I went to each of the gun shops, with a big roll of 1000's in my hand and asked for a pistol with silencer....but they must have been out of silencers as I got "No can do" at all of em.  Plenty of self loaders available in all different calibres, and I  would be happy with any non rimfire calibre. 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling

Dogs that come under the  "Pit Bull " description are  recognized as the  most damaging and  fatal as well as allegedly but slightly disputably the most  common attacker.

Many countries have banned the breeding due to the undeniable statistical evidence they are a social menace.

I have owned  one in the past and although it was placid and  controlled 99% of the time there were increasing occasions where it demonstrated some frightening  psychotic moments for no apparent  reason.

When eventually on two such  occasions it was only  just prevented from causing injury I voluntarily had it  euthanized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I have owned  one in the past and although it was placid and  controlled 99% of the time there were increasing occasions where it demonstrated some frightening  psychotic moments for no apparent  reason.

My ex in the uk was the same :giggle:

Edited by quake

On 1/29/2020 at 3:11 AM, Yinn said:

Hmmmmm

I don’t think that photo is the male dog.

4CC65641-835D-4038-BC2A-D8B0B49E7DBD.jpeg

Can't see the other end. Maybe it's a Katoey (some are often agressive and can be especially dangerous)

Edited by soi3eddie

New neighbor has one as well as 3 other dogs they don't take care of them apart from feed them.

It's nut's had to put a barrier up on the fence because it can see over it nearly got me whilst doing it I got splashed with saliva though.

When I water the garden or even go my door my goes nuts as well, I like my house but probably going to have to move cos of this.

17 hours ago, sungod said:

Do a Google search on "pit bull nanny dog" and you'll se plenty of people referring to them as nanny dogs as well (though the myth of the "nanny dog" absolutely started with the staffs).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

New neighbor has one as well as 3 other dogs they don't take care of them apart from feed them.

It's nut's had to put a barrier up on the fence because it can see over it nearly got me whilst doing it I got splashed with saliva though.

When I water the garden or even go my door my goes nuts as well, I like my house but probably going to have to move cos of this.

You would move because of a pit bull? 

I have no issue to giving these and rottweiler that are allowed to run free a foot long 7/11 full of MSG. 

Anyone with young kids that doesn't kill these beasts is not a good parent. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 10:01 AM, steven100 said:

what a disgusting looking dog, like said earlier... blast it's head off, won't attack anyone after that.

where are all the 'those dogs don't bite' lovers' and 'i have 2 and they won't bite' who spew out the rubbish that dogs don't attack unless provoked <deleted>.

The bitch is in the photo not the dog that did the attack.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, sungod said:

Lots of links to pages describing pit bulls as nanny dogs eg

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/The-Pit-Bull-Dog-Once-Knows-as-the-Nanny-Dog-What-Happened

https://www.animalwised.com/pit-bull-terriers-as-nanny-dogs-52.html

etc

Usually from owners trying to downplay their dangerousness adn trying to prevent legislation against them.

Edited by katana

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

This is what some do with their dogs. This one owned by niece and boyfriend of my ex. At the end you'll see it can be soft but I wouldn't trust it. 

So taking it out on a bike, unleashed, where it can easily jump off to attack another dog / child.

Truly irresponsible and disgusting behaviour.

You call it soft, I call it disgraceful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Myran said:

Do a Google search on "pit bull nanny dog" and you'll se plenty of people referring to them as nanny dogs as well (though the myth of the "nanny dog" absolutely started with the staffs).

What myth?

9 hours ago, katana said:

Lots of links to pages describing pit bulls as nanny dogs eg

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/The-Pit-Bull-Dog-Once-Knows-as-the-Nanny-Dog-What-Happened

https://www.animalwised.com/pit-bull-terriers-as-nanny-dogs-52.html

etc

Usually from owners trying to downplay their dangerousness adn trying to prevent legislation against them.

Thanks for the links, here is one for you too.

https://mypetmatters.co.uk/the-nanny-dog-staffies-theyre-softer-than-you-think/

On 8/29/2020 at 7:01 PM, overherebc said:

This being a 9 or 10 month old thread is it a Covid deflection type of thing?

555 there's nothing like a thread about a dog that might or might not have been a PitBull (the dog in the OP looks like a Boxer cross) to bring out the wannabe gun toting OAPs on ThaiVisa.

The fact this thread is several months old isn't nearly enough to stop these vigilante "have a go heroes" from telling fellow posters how they'd cull every single one of these vicious beasts from 100 paces with the Colt 45 that they like to pretend they owned in their "previous life". ????  The fact they couldn't pick a pitbull (by Pitbull I assume they mean the American Pitbull Terrier?) out in a lineup of similar type dogs won't stop them, they've seen how vicious they are on CNN!

Pitbulls everywhere (and dogs that vaguely resemble Pitbulls), be warned. The geriatric keyboard warriors are watching your every move. ????️‍♀️ Take this threat seriously, the older they get, the tougher they were.

image.png.d96784b9b7f23da5f8f94638fc475c04.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So taking it out on a bike, unleashed, where it can easily jump off to attack another dog / child.

Truly irresponsible and disgusting behaviour.

You call it soft, I call it disgraceful.

I said it can be soft and I wouldn't trust it though. Agreed, taking it out on a bike is irresponsible. Tell that to the Thai owners (not my dog).

On 8/31/2020 at 9:14 AM, JonnyF said:

555 there's nothing like a thread about a dog that might or might not have been a PitBull (the dog in the OP looks like a Boxer cross) to bring out the wannabe gun toting OAPs on ThaiVisa.

The fact this thread is several months old isn't nearly enough to stop these vigilante "have a go heroes" from telling fellow posters how they'd cull every single one of these vicious beasts from 100 paces with the Colt 45 that they like to pretend they owned in their "previous life". ????  The fact they couldn't pick a pitbull (by Pitbull I assume they mean the American Pitbull Terrier?) out in a lineup of similar type dogs won't stop them, they've seen how vicious they are on CNN!

Pitbulls everywhere (and dogs that vaguely resemble Pitbulls), be warned. The geriatric keyboard warriors are watching your every move. ????️‍♀️ Take this threat seriously, the older they get, the tougher they were.

image.png.d96784b9b7f23da5f8f94638fc475c04.png

????

If you want to hurt something at 100 paces with Colt 45 I would suggest launching it

( I mean the whole revolver) from a very powerful catapult at the intended target. It will be just as accurate.

????