Thailand and Bangkok ‘most at risk’ from coronavirus, scientists warn

webfact

3 hours ago, khunpa said:

Sky News claims Thailand’s Health Minister has admitted that they can not stop this.

Yesterday the PM said it was 100% under control.

The fact is that it is already too late for Thailand and the country will suffer huge from this.

The big question is now, is how Thais will react to this, when hospitals start to get overcrowded? Because there is a good chance Bangkok will become like Wuhan.

ITV interviewed a Brit in Wuhan and he reported that Wuhan residents are in isolation until April. He wants to return to his family, but only those with American passports are being evacuated. A Brit with dual US citizenship, used his American Passport to travel on an Wuhan evacuation flight to the USA. He will be held in isolation for 17 days.

Wuhan City now has the appearance of a ghost city. 

4 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

A recent report on U.S. television stated that masks are not effective in preventing a virus. It said it could possibly be of some aid as a person is less likely to touch their nose or mouth with their virus carrying hands while wearing a mask. 

That's not true... Regular drugstore masks are marginally helpful. N95 respirator masks like the 3M variety can be very effective in preventing inhaling of the virus... but the masks don't protect wearer's eyes.

There's a reason every time you see hospital staff in China they're wearing N95 respirator masks... and why health care workers in other countries dealing with suspected or diagnosed coronavirus cases are wearing them as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Docno said:

I was in Singapore during SARS and still have an N95 mask from that time (my university distributed them for free). They worked much better, and they are what emergency medical workers are wearing now in the field. But they are very uncomfortable to wear.  

Agree with your full post. But as for the N95 masks, the newer and unfortunately more expensive kind have an exhale valve built in that makes them much more comfortable to wear in hot and humid environments like Thailand.

Unfortunately, right now in Thailand, any N95 masks of credible quality are almost impossible to find/buy.

488414796_2020-01-2914_55_06.jpg.4e313b93fa36499324cbf369113b5b6c.jpg

3 hours ago, thisisrascal said:

My 30 day's are up in ten days time but I'm giving serious consideration to getting out of dodge ASAP. 

The only thing holding me back is I don't fancy going to the airport. 

I will be flying into Bangkok this weekend. I am not concerned at all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richsilver said:

Isn't this report outdated since China has now prevented all travel out of Wuhan?

The virus has spread in China beyond Wuhan. Plus lots of region residents there left / escaped / went traveling before the local authorities imposed their travel restrictions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What concerns me the most is the likely inability by the authorities to shut areas down to prevent any problems spreading. Worsened of course by the tourism industry still desperately encouraging possibly more virus carriers to come and spend their money here.

They can stop aircraft from parts of China and 11 cities are isolated.But what if the Chinese traveler had many $ and flew to Seoul for a week then took an aircraft to Thailand, unless the IMO is 100% awake he will be stamped to continue on. They said they plan to check every Chinese but planning and doing are different activities.

59 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Australia is sending a flight to Wuhan. The passengers will be kept on Christmas Island for 14 days.

The US evacuation flight was supposed to leave China today and head for Ontario CA where I presume they'll do some kind of isolation.

They had originally talked of having the flight go to San Francisco, but then apparently thought better of that idea, and instead picked a more isolated and less busy airport where things presumably can be better contained and controlled.

23 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Thailand and Bangkok ‘most at risk’ from coronavirus

I always thought Bangkok was in Thailand?

so did I, but sometimes one truly is lead to belief
that Thailand is way outside of the Bangkok State.

4 hours ago, khunpa said:

Sky News claims Thailand’s Health Minister has admitted that they can not stop this.

Yesterday the PM said it was 100% under control.

The fact is that it is already too late for Thailand and the country will suffer huge from this.

The big question is now, is how Thais will react to this, when hospitals start to get overcrowded? Because there is a good chance Bangkok will become like Wuhan.

Well I think it's pretty obvious what'll happen if they try to quarentine Bangkok, there'll be the biggest stampede of people leaving ever seen on Earth and the feckless government will be completely unable to stop it...

• Like 2

If their are substantial increases in infections and deaths we could be become hostages in LOS.

I don't fancy exiting through bkk airport was to go vietnam in 2 wks will stay away

I think all incoming chinese with a few exceptions should be banned  immediately.

Edited by sameasb4
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1