Thailand and Bangkok ‘most at risk’ from coronavirus, scientists warn

webfact

57 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Thailand and Bangkok ‘most at risk’ from coronavirus

I always thought Bangkok was in Thailand?

If you read the article, there are two separate tables.  One lists the countries most at risk, and Thailand leads.  Another table lists the cities most at risk, and Bangkok leads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Too many reasons to justify wearing a quality mask at the moment.

1. Coronavirus.

2. Burn offs (Pollution)

3. Traffic fumes (pollution)

which is why on 9th February, it is bye bye Thailand, and hello Spain for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok faces the biggest threat from coronavirus due to the sheer number of travellers from China, and in particular the number of travellers who originate from Wuhan and neighbouring provinces

Reap what you sow... profit over health.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graeme64 said:

I suspect you have done very little research so let me explain a few things - every thing I write here is FACT. 

they said they can not stop is spreading - of course not - if there are 8 cases today and 10 tomorrow - it is spreading - if all 10 are in hospital getting treatment and then released = I would agree this is under control. they are not necessarily contradictory comments.

If people who are not educated on exactly what is going on continue to panic yes hospitals will get over crowded despite in most cases having almost ZERO chance to have the virus. 

Canadian scientist have stated that only prolonged interaction in close quaters with an infected person are you likely to catch it. 

To the best of my knowledge still only 2 people have contracted the virus outside of China - 1 a bus driver of chinese tourists 1 a german who had just spent 1 or 2 days with a colleague from China who sadly did not show any symptoms till after he left germany. 

Avoid spending prolonged periods with any one who has just returned from China and the chances of getting infected are incredibly slim - with the information we currently have those are the facts. 

stay safe every one but also stay calm.   

Who deals with Chinese tourists in Thailand?  Airport staff, Tour operators, bus drivers, hotel staff, tourists attractions and venues, shopping centers, cafes, markets, skytrain, taxis, banks and ATM, money changers ... to name just a few.  So stay calm and be incredibly vigilant with your own hygiene eg wear masks and wash your hands a lot and maybe use some of that hand sanitizer. And try to avoid prolonged exposure at close quarters with people who have come in from China recently. 

Any other suggestions? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

ENGLISH TRANSLATION (Via Google Translate)

Chiang Mai Province after knowing about Therefore coordinate the rescue team And a medical team from Nakornping Hospital inspected the scene By having to wear dresses and equipment Protect tightly By reaching the scene In the said room Found a Chinese woman lying dead.
Which the officers have jointly conducted an autopsy Initially, no traces of the attack were found. Body in any way The officer therefore has made Recorded data to expedite the investigation and expedited the removal of the corpse at a later time.

However, after being informed of the said information, the news media contacted and asked Colonel Manot Sudsawad, Director of Mae Rim Police Station, to disclose that the initial investigation Found that the deceased traveled to Thailand to travel with 5 friends arrived in Thailand yesterday. After entering According to the investigation, a friend said that before death, the dead are healthy and strong. The night rest as usual, but when waking up early to find that died without knowing the reason.

However, the cause of death cannot be summarized. And the deceased is a Chinese, it must be carried out in detail. Now, the medical team has taken the dead body to perform an autopsy at Nakornping Hospital To summarize the cause of death In detail again As well as speeding up contact Embassy to be informed To speed up the examination Further information about the said tourists who died

Of concern, the friends said that she had been suffering with flu-like symptoms including fever, coughing and a runny nose.

https://chiangmaione.com/32-year-old-chinese-tourist-dies-in-mysterious-circumstances-in-mae-rim-6034?fbclid=IwAR2diKSUaODtNf_3npkUk76NgRBMDL3gEcl5DOJxfsZHhfDcJC0tqG6FWA4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

If Thailand is No. 1 risk it should be No. 1 ahead of the world in prevention. As isolation seems to be the main answer they should stop all arrivals from China. The economic effect eventually will be much greater if they do not

As BA (British Airways) has taken proactive steps already, one can assume that Thailand will follow suit! :cheesy: :-

"British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China following the outbreak of coronavirus, the airline confirmed in a statement to news outlets Wednesday morning." 

4 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

Would you rather risk possible infection from the airport (the more careful you are the better your chances) so you can head home for secure and stringent action on this crisis, or would you rather stay in a country which is set to be hit hard by this, and allow society to go on lock down and crumble? Imagine this place when the hospitals are overrun and there are no law enforcement in the streets 

Like... er.. now then ?? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Well I think it's pretty obvious what'll happen if they try to quarentine Bangkok, there'll be the biggest stampede of people leaving ever seen on Earth and the feckless government will be completely unable to stop it...

Ah <deleted>. I remember how it was with the 2011 flood refugees. Jomthien was packed with people living out of their pickups. Time to fill up the pantry with canned goods and nail the doors shut.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

If Thailand is No. 1 risk it should be No. 1 ahead of the world in prevention. As isolation seems to be the main answer they should stop all arrivals from China. The economic effect eventually will be much greater if they do not

Ah prevention.!!

3 wais and burn the Joss sticks.

Not to forget the merit offerings. 

This lot could not organize a booze up in a brewery...

• Like 2

It would be wise to be prepared.

For residents self isolation

For travellers may wish to look at your health insurance, visas, and tickets to consider what may occur .

The Thai authorities may not quarantine but just as flights from China may be blocked if Thailand becomes a hotspot there may be no direct route home.

While an individual may have no contact with Chinese tourists, they will of course be using taxis supermarkets etc.

I think we will have clear signal when very litigous Americans began to evacuate their employees.I'd imagine one farang fatality will tip families to exit even if it means certain quarantine if allowed back into home country.

Oh and don't expect hotel rates to fall the usual response to maintain income is to RAISE prices.

The inactivity to block incoming carriers will do long term harm.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

11 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Of concern, the friends said that she had been suffering with flu-like symptoms including fever, coughing and a runny nose.

https://chiangmaione.com/32-year-old-chinese-tourist-dies-in-mysterious-circumstances-in-mae-rim-6034?fbclid=IwAR2diKSUaODtNf_3npkUk76NgRBMDL3gEcl5DOJxfsZHhfDcJC0tqG6FWA4

I would hazzard a guess and say, allergies from the smog there. 32 years old, young and healthy I would imagine. Too much alcohol? CO2 in room? Dodgy mattress that we have seen b4?

15 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

Would you rather risk possible infection from the airport (the more careful you are the better your chances) so you can head home for secure and stringent action on this crisis, or would you rather stay in a country which is set to be hit hard by this, and allow society to go on lock down and crumble? Imagine this place when the hospitals are overrun and there are no law enforcement in the streets 

Have you ever been in a Thai government hospital, overrun is a pretty good description for most of them, and as for law enforcement...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

But the Thai version, which is considerably more detailed, states she did not have any symptoms. 

Is that a box of tissues in the Thai version image?

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2