Thailand and Bangkok ‘most at risk’ from coronavirus, scientists warn

webfact

6 hours ago, khunpa said:

Sky News claims Thailand’s Health Minister has admitted that they can not stop this.

Yesterday the PM said it was 100% under control.

The fact is that it is already too late for Thailand and the country will suffer huge from this.

The big question is now, is how Thais will react to this, when hospitals start to get overcrowded? Because there is a good chance Bangkok will become like Wuhan.

Never trust anyone who grins in anally all the time

Pollution you can do something about. You can actively promote and enforce reducing the burning of sugar cane as suggested in the Bangkok Post of some days past. This virus thing is not new - SARS, Middle East Respiratory something or another, ZIKA, when pigs will fly and ad nauseum. So take the usual precautions - wash your hands, maintain a good diet, rest and like any three-day flu irrespective of where you are on this globe, it will go away.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, buick said:

i've read similar warnings which also say to be very careful when removing the mask.  don't touch your face during the process (carefully use ear straps only for removal) and only use the mask once (that is for the standard surgical mask which as noted above, isn't 100% reliable in term of protection from the virus).

Yes, but the sheer logistics of replacing masks is enormous.

Eating three times a day requires a new mask. Showering also requires a new mask Five per day?

35 per week 140ish per month - for one person.

The country has already run out and there is nowhere to replenish from, yet.

Now multiply that by 70 million !

7 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

If Thailand is No. 1 risk it should be No. 1 ahead of the world in prevention. As isolation seems to be the main answer they should stop all arrivals from China. The economic effect eventually will be much greater if they do not

You are probably right there, but I fear even if they did, it's also probably too late already, given the sheer volume of Chinese tourists coming to Thailand in tour groups as well as individually.

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

BA have stopped all flights into and out of China for a minimum of two weeks. THAI will not do this of course, because money from Chinese tourists, whether or not they have the virus, takes priority.

Well Thai might be forced to by their staff. During the sars crisis they wouldn't fly me to Hong Kong, I believe because the cabin crews refused to take the risk. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt the virus be less likely to survive in the heat that is here now, and the hotter temps to come? Flu virus likes cold or at least cooler weather than 33 + degrees celcius, surely ?

You are correct:

The study found that the infectious virus could survive longer at lower temperatures and inactivation, or the point where the virus can no longer affect people, occurred more rapidly around room temperatures or warmer environments. In the lower temperatures, the virus could survive on a stainless steel surface from 5 to 28 days at all humidity levels. It took longer for inactivation to occur with a low relative humidity, or a drier environment. In short, the coronaviruses typically survive longer and stay active longer at lower temperatures in a dry environment.

From: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-wuhan-coronavirus/669458

However, I doubt this is going to make much of a difference with regards to the spread of this virus in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

You are correct:

From: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-wuhan-coronavirus/669458

However, I doubt this is going to make much of a difference with regards to the spread of this virus in Thailand.

Here's a bit lengthier one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863430/

Washing machines in Thailand often don't have heated water (pulsator types), but the detergents and UV light (dry them in the sunlight) should kill pretty much anything.

15 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:
34 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

BA have stopped all flights into and out of China for a minimum of two weeks. THAI will not do this of course, because money from Chinese tourists, whether or not they have the virus, takes priority.

Well Thai might be forced to by their staff. During the sars crisis they wouldn't fly me to Hong Kong, I believe because the cabin crews refused to take the risk. 

I've now edited the post to read two days, not two weeks. My apologies.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--There are 102 cases in which laboratory results are pending.

Report on 27th had PUI (Persons under investigation) 136, 79 pending.  28th PUI 158, 102 pending.

Clearly tells it takes a long time to get lab results. I still haven't found which hospitals or other institutes have labs capable of RT-PCR and having the correct biolab rating. Doesn't look like there's many.

Edited by DrTuner

More and more, authorities are turning to both quarantines and flight bans relating to China....

https://apnews.com/a980aeb44b3840341c674a6e67c19da6?

British health secretary Matt Hancock tweeted that “anyone who returns from Wuhan will be safely isolated for 14 days, with all necessary medical attention.” The measures are a step up from what the country did during the devastating 2014 Ebola outbreak, when returning travelers from West Africa were asked to monitor themselves for symptoms.

In Australia, health officials said the Chinese women’s national soccer team was quarantined in the city of Brisbane over concerns it had passed through Wuhan a week ago. The team will be kept in isolation in a hotel until Wednesday next week. None of the group of 32 players and staff has shown symptoms.

A plane carrying Americans who had been in Wuhan left for Anchorage, Alaska, where they will be re-screened for the virus. U.S. hospitals are prepared to treat or quarantine people who may be infected. After departing Alaska, the plane is to fly to Ontario, California.

8 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

If Thailand is No. 1 risk it should be No. 1 ahead of the world in prevention. As isolation seems to be the main answer they should stop all arrivals from China. The economic effect eventually will be much greater if they do not

too late. the outbreak was ( what many don't know) already in Nov 2019 but was kept secret for 2 months. many are infected now.

8 hours ago, Traubert said:

Sounds highly scientific I must say.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Clearly tells it takes a long time to get lab results. I still haven't found which hospitals or other institutes have labs capable of RT-PCR and having the correct biolab rating. Doesn't look like there's many.

Just fyi, the PUI totals they report seem to be cumulative back to the beginning, and they don't seem to get subtracted once someone has been cleared or recovered. So it's a misleading statistic in terms of the current situation.

There was a prior mention of the testing issue in one of their daily reports.... I believe their protocol said something about needing confirmation from two different labs. And my memory says there are a number of government and private hospital labs in BKK that are capable of conducting the testing.

It's the great chance for Indians. They never interact with Chinese. Still, now their chance has come. Chinese infect Thais and Indians come to Pattaya to save Thai tourism industry and now can get their fair share and take it home  to India, from Thais. And India has similar potential like China... let's watch!

• Like 1

You would think the prices for flights from BKK to America through China would be dirt cheap right now with lots of people canceling.

But Google Flights says the cheapest flights for the next several months are through Qatar.

That's not without risk, also as they are forced to fly over Iranian airspace as Saudi Arabia has banned them from their airspace.

Thanks Jared, The Great Peacemaker. ????????????????????

• Confused 1