BANGKOK
Grumpy Old Man

Extension to stay Chiangmai Immigration

I would like to share my experience at Chiangmai Immigration on Monday 27th January for submitting my documents for my “Extension to stay based on marriage to a Thai National” or Marriage Visa.

This is my fourth “Marriage Visa” and every time the procedure and required documents have been different so I expected no different this time; my wife is meticulous with document preparation and presentation so I was hopeful there wasn’t going to be much wrong.   

We arrived at 08:30Hrs and the queue to get a queue number was out the door and half way across the car park; it took ninety minutes just to get in the front door.

Behold the procedure has changed again, outside the front door there is now a desk manned by “Immigration Assistants” who advise you on document changes Etc. The front reception desk is now pre checking / clearing before you get issued with a queue number, at this point we are advised that the “Ordnance Survey” quality map of our home and surrounding area wasn’t correct because it wasn’t on “Chiangmai Immigration” headed paper, we had to leave the queue and draw a new home area map on “Chiangmai Immigration” headed paper; the map produced at this stage a five year old could have done better but it’s now on the required paper.

Finally getting a queue number approximately 11:30Hrs the normal wait starts; all “Long stay Visa” are now being processed at one of the four front Officer desks L3 - L6.

Over the Public Address system you are repeatedly advised to wait somewhere else if your number is not imminent or use the QR code queue number tracking application to track you position in the queue; I tried the queue number tracking application but I was told the application usage had expired.

On getting to the Immigration Officer dealing with my document submission he was excellent and went through his process in a professional manner, firstly producing another two A4 documents that we needed to complete, one by myself acknowledging I understand the penalties for overstaying my Visa and working without a work permit and the other by my wife confirming she’s still allowing me to live on her land.

I was challenged over my annual Thai bank account activity because they wanted to see a whole years activity, I confirmed the is only one payment into this account every year and that is to get the booked updated on the morning of my Visa application, I was asked about other Thai bank accounts and how much I have at this point my wife advised the Officer “Not required information”

After the usual multiple signatures, stamps and the 1900 Fee I am “Under Consideration” until the 14th March I guess I’ll know if I have a new Visa on the 14th of March !

From arriving at the Thai Immigration Office Chiangmai to walking out the door with my “Under Consideration” stamp in my passport just under five hours. . . . . . . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

So.... in other words are you saying that a hand drawn map showing where you reside is no longer acceptable unless the map is drawn on paper issued by the immigration dept.? This paper is available where?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I am “Under Consideration” until the 14th March

I thought it was 30 days from date of application -- or is it 30 days from the expiration of your current extension?

45 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I thought it was 30 days from date of application -- or is it 30 days from the expiration of your current extension?

That depends upon the office where the application is done. 

At a many it is from the date the current permit to stay ends.

3 hours ago, cnxgary said:

So.... in other words are you saying that a hand drawn map showing where you reside is no longer acceptable unless the map is drawn on paper issued by the immigration dept.? This paper is available where?

Correct, any quality of map is accepted if it’s on the Immigration Office issued paperwork / document 

Other than the map drawn on Imm. stationary what else did you need to show? All Imm. Dept. have there own requirements did you for example have to produce pictures of you and wife or did Imm. want witnesses present? Did you have to have the bank book updated showing a update on the day of your application? Did you have to show a police clearance or medical clearance letter?

21 hours ago, cnxgary said:

At immigration I guess....!!!!

There is a very distinct difference between a "Visa" and an "Extension of stay"...

Edited by AlQaholic

31 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

There is a very distinct difference between a "Visa" and an "Extension of stay"...

OMG... not again!  If the poster is happy with his 'Visa' or whatever, why not leave him to carry on in ignorant bliss?

What a load of bureaucracy from the Immigration Office and so different compared to nearly 20 years ago. This is why I shall be leaving Thailand in 2 weeks time to continue my retirement in "stress free" (in my opinion) Cambodia. Another account will be closed with Bangkok Bank.

• Like 2