BANGKOK
thurien

Pink Farang ID: machine-readable?

It's magnetic card but has no chip. Probably there's something on the strip at the back that could be readable (and easily faked), but having no chip, it won't be readable by any of the chip card readers. So basically it's not. As for what government would or wouldn't do - you'd have to ask them. Given my amphur having thousands of them in stock (blank ones) and would assume other amphurs as well, I'd say phasing them out and replacing with new ones would take years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thetefldon said:

Interesting. I use mine at the local hospital and it is read by a machine that produces the bill. And yes magnetic strip not chip.

This card is not machine readable. The ID number is manually keyed into the machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually found a use for mine and got the bank to insert my pink ID card as opposed to passport number for future usage.

Saves a lot of messing when I change full passports. I wish they would extend it as a form of ID for other uses such as bills, airplanes for domestic travel etc.

They manually put in my number at SCB bank!

I have this pink bit of plastic wasting space in my wallet for 5 years. I am pleased to see that there is in fact any use for it .. machine readable or not.  Whenever I have tried to use it I get negative head shaking or the dreaded word “passport”.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thanks,

So guys there you have it clear as mud. It's not machine readable unless sometimes it is!

Thai style!

What it really means is that not all government hospitals have the necessary equipment to read the data on the magnetic strip of the pink ID card. 

• Haha 1

I have the yellow housebook but i`m not retiered yet. I come about two three times to thailand every year with tourist visa. Can i get the pink ID card or do i have to be retired?

I find the Pink ID Card is accepted in lots of places.  The only obvious drawback is that it doesn't carry your name in English (or at least Roman Script) and so often I am asked for my driving license as well.  Since they are printed as you wait, it seems like an oversight that could easily be fixed without making the existing stock of cards redundant.

• Thanks 1