BANGKOK

I understand crossbows are not controlled in the same fashion as firearms? Is there a way to verify the Thai law in English?

5 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

Is there a way to verify the Thai law in English?

Yes, ask someone to translate it..

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes, ask someone to translate it..

Is it available online someplace that you are aware of or was that just a "wise guy" response?

Is it available online someplace that you are aware of or was that just a "wise guy" response?

I presumed as you were asking the question, you would have already found the applicable law ??

Or just walk into your local Police station and ask "can or not" as it's them that will deal with you if you have /get one. 🤔

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Or just walk into your local Police station and ask

Thanks, I know that crossbows are readily available in Thailand, presumably they are legal. The problem with asking a local police officer is that he/she may not answer from knowledge of the law but his/her opinion. I am looking for a verifiable written source such as the legal text pertaining to crossbows, if such law exists.

• Thanks 1

If it is any help, there is a small book called something like 'A Guide to Thai Law' (in English) which used to be available at both DK bookshop and Suriwong Book Centre at a cost of 250 baht (both shops are in CMai but may have branches elsewhere). The book covers all sorts of common subject matter and importantly, the statute fines for various offences.

Most of those fines were, not surprisingly, tiny by western standards. Can't find my copy or I'd look for you. However, I bought a hill-tribe crossbow in CMai for 150 baht some years ago and had a lot of fun with it. Suspect it is a grey area though. Cheers !

1 minute ago, Aussiepeter said:

there is a small book called something like 'A Guide to Thai Law'

Thank you, that may be the best lead yet. I see that the Thai Ministry of Interior requires that some "weapons" require a permit before importation. Working on translating the specifics.

Another book, Thai Law for Foreigners 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Time to grow said:

I understand crossbows are not controlled in the same fashion as firearms? Is there a way to verify the Thai law in English?

How can you verify something that is not controlled? There will simply not be anything to verify then. 😉

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

How can you verify something that is not controlled?

One way to verify it would be a list of prohibited or restricted items that doesn't include a crossbow. So far, the list's I have seen from various legal firms differ from each other. This leads me to believe that they are not reliable sources as compared to a government publication or legal text.

Searching the Thai Law Library by Siam Legal provides no matches for "Crossbow". Searching "weapon" offers some hits but nothing pertaining to restrictions, permitting, or licensing. Searching for "Firearms" only provides info on types of employment prohibited to foreigners. The thing is, I know registration of firearms is required but there is no mention of it here.

39 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

more legal references /resources here

Thanks, I will take a look at that

One way to verify it would be a list of prohibited or restricted items that doesn't include a crossbow. So far, the list's I have seen from various legal firms differ from each other. This leads me to believe that they are not reliable sources as compared to a government publication or legal text.

Searching the Thai Law Library by Siam Legal provides no matches for "Crossbow". Searching "weapon" offers some hits but nothing pertaining to restrictions, permitting, or licensing. Searching for "Firearms" only provides info on types of employment prohibited to foreigners. The thing is, I know registration of firearms is required but there is no mention of it here.

Just contact these guys, they can answer your questions: https://www.archerythai.com/