Crossbow Law?

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Or just walk into your local Police station and ask

Thanks, I know that crossbows are readily available in Thailand, presumably they are legal. The problem with asking a local police officer is that he/she may not answer from knowledge of the law but his/her opinion. I am looking for a verifiable written source such as the legal text pertaining to crossbows, if such law exists.

• Thanks 1

If it is any help, there is a small book called something like 'A Guide to Thai Law' (in English) which used to be available at both DK bookshop and Suriwong Book Centre at a cost of 250 baht (both shops are in CMai but may have branches elsewhere). The book covers all sorts of common subject matter and importantly, the statute fines for various offences.

Most of those fines were, not surprisingly, tiny by western standards. Can't find my copy or I'd look for you. However, I bought a hill-tribe crossbow in CMai for 150 baht some years ago and had a lot of fun with it. Suspect it is a grey area though. Cheers !

1 minute ago, Aussiepeter said:

there is a small book called something like 'A Guide to Thai Law'

Thank you, that may be the best lead yet. I see that the Thai Ministry of Interior requires that some "weapons" require a permit before importation. Working on translating the specifics.

1 hour ago, Time to grow said:

I understand crossbows are not controlled in the same fashion as firearms? Is there a way to verify the Thai law in English?

How can you verify something that is not controlled? There will simply not be anything to verify then. ????

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

How can you verify something that is not controlled?

One way to verify it would be a list of prohibited or restricted items that doesn't include a crossbow. So far, the list's I have seen from various legal firms differ from each other. This leads me to believe that they are not reliable sources as compared to a government publication or legal text.

Searching the Thai Law Library by Siam Legal provides no matches for "Crossbow". Searching "weapon" offers some hits but nothing pertaining to restrictions, permitting, or licensing. Searching for "Firearms" only provides info on types of employment prohibited to foreigners. The thing is, I know registration of firearms is required but there is no mention of it here.

5 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

One way to verify it would be a list of prohibited or restricted items that doesn't include a crossbow. So far, the list's I have seen from various legal firms differ from each other. This leads me to believe that they are not reliable sources as compared to a government publication or legal text.

Searching the Thai Law Library by Siam Legal provides no matches for "Crossbow". Searching "weapon" offers some hits but nothing pertaining to restrictions, permitting, or licensing. Searching for "Firearms" only provides info on types of employment prohibited to foreigners. The thing is, I know registration of firearms is required but there is no mention of it here.

Just contact these guys, they can answer your questions: https://www.archerythai.com/

12 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

Thanks, I will take a look at that

Whilst I appreciate your point and concern of actual point of law etc.

Like other things I feel it doesnt really matter, as ultimately its what the guy in a uniform with a gun on his hip thinks and interprets the law to be.The one that may or not as the case may be cart you off or demand money. Hence my comment, ask the ones most likey to do just that, in your area. ????????

I just contacted these  https://www.archerythai.com/

via Line and they say Xbows are NOT legal in Thailand.

34 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I just contacted these  https://www.archerythai.com/

via Line and they say Xbows are NOT legal in Thailand.

Thank you but as I said before, I don't consider either www.archerythai or the local police officer to be a credible source. You make the argument that a local police officer will be the one to enforce the law but if there is no law to enforce, or if no money is afforded, a court will decide based upon written law.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

Thank you but as I said before, I don't consider either www.archerythai or the local police officer to be a credible source. You make the argument that a local police officer will be the one to enforce the law but if there is no law to enforce, or if no money is afforded, a court will decide based upon written law.

You dont consider a Police officer to be a credible source ? 

Are you telling me that you would dispute and refuse his direction and end up in a cell (potentially) because you dont think he's credible ?

well, as the Thais say "up to you".  !..........best of luck with this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Are you telling me that you would dispute and refuse his direction and end up in a cell (potentially) because you dont think he's credible ?

No, you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I will try to make it a little more clear for you.

No, I do not trust the local police officers knowledge of (all) Thai law, particularly with regard to topics infrequently discussed or obscure in nature. This is not to disparage Thai Police. Police officers around the world are not trained in the full aspect of the law. Even if they were, they are not going to provide a written authorization. I am looking for something more concrete than my word against his word. "But he said it was okay" just wont cut it.

No, I would not dispute and refuse his/her direction. I would follow the direction of a law enforcement officer regardless of their understanding of the law until a higher authority became available.

Imagine this:

Thai Customs Officer; "You are under arrest for possession of a controlled item"

Me; "But, www.archerythai said it was okay and the police officer by my house said he didn't mind"

Thai Customs Officer; "Next time, check the criminal code yourself"

8 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

No, you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I will try to make it a little more clear for you.

No, I do not trust the local police officers knowledge of (all) Thai law, particularly with regard to topics infrequently discussed or obscure in nature. This is not to disparage Thai Police. Police officers around the world are not trained in the full aspect of the law. Even if they were, they are not going to provide a written authorization. I am looking for something more concrete than my word against his word. "But he said it was okay" just wont cut it.

No, I would not dispute and refuse his/her direction. I would follow the direction of a law enforcement officer regardless of their understanding of the law until a higher authority became available.

Imagine this:

Thai Customs Officer; "You are under arrest for possession of a controlled item"

Me; "But, www.archerythai said it was okay and the police officer by my house said he didn't mind"

Thai Customs Officer; "Next time, check the criminal code yourself"

Ok, I hear you, so going by what you are saying here, you intend to purchase and import one ? (hence the customs guy). In which case he wouldnt be arresting you as you would never gain posession, it would be confiscated.(if illegal)

How about this, you receive a notice from Customs saying your item has been confiscated/destroyed, as it is illegal in Thailand.

My initial response was based on the assumption you already had one you brought here and were checking the legality before use etc. 

Slightly crossed wires it would seem. ????

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

you intend to purchase and import one ?

Actually, a friend visiting Thailand intends to carry a crossbow in his possession, when entering Thailand, if legal.

Aside from the legal ramifications of being in possession of a potentially controlled item, simply having a very expensive, high end crossbow confiscated would be devastating.

For this reason, I am trying to determine precisely what the law says (if anything) in regards to crossbows.

Edited by Time to grow
typo

1 minute ago, Time to grow said:

Actually, a friend visiting Thailand intends to carry a crossbow in his possession, when entering Thailand, if legal.

Aside from the legal ramifications of being in possession of a potentially controlled item, simply having a very expensive, high end crossbow confiscated would devastating.

For this reason, I am trying to determine precisely what the law says (if anything) in regards to crossbows.

Which makes perfect sense, however, you face a somewhat similar situation, this being Thailand. In that whether he is intercepted or not, and whether allowed to retain it or not, is going to be down to the guy he deals with on the day, and he wont be in any position to argue at that point. (possibly appeal later)

The best scenario, is he is allowed to pass unchallenged/detected. You then are back to square one regarding legality.

"If" on the other hand it is detected, is deemed illegal, it will be confiscated and therefore lost.

My personal opinion is you are taking a gamble as to what "may" happen at entry. Not one I would take no matter what piece of paper you can produce.

53 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

My personal opinion is you are taking a gamble as to what "may" happen at entry. Not one I would take no matter what piece of paper you can produce.

That may be but how is one to adhere to the law if one can't determine what the law is? Which finally gets back to my original question; Is there a way to verify the Thai law?

57 minutes ago, Denim said:

I have a homemade bow and arrow that I practice with in the fields out back. Nobody has sent anything  , possibly because I haven't hit anything yet.

Thanks for the laugh! Best of luck hitting something in the future.

I just came across this Customs list of prohibited and restricted items. The question now is, what is a "the equivalents to guns"? The Dept of Provincial Administration's website is mostly in Thai but I am working on it. http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_160426_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_03_01

Edited by Time to grow
forgot link

7 hours ago, Time to grow said:

Thanks, I know that crossbows are readily available in Thailand, presumably they are legal. The problem with asking a local police officer is that he/she may not answer from knowledge of the law but his/her opinion. I am looking for a verifiable written source such as the legal text pertaining to crossbows, if such law exists.

Where I've never seen them

6 hours ago, Time to grow said:

One way to verify it would be a list of prohibited or restricted items that doesn't include a crossbow.

I don't know why all the fuss I have had and use a Recurve bow similar to a longbow for years, I will be getting a crossbow this year as well because I like archery. 

As long as you don't kill anything with it it's legal, ???? TIT.