Today's experiment

SteveK

14 minutes ago, Denim said:

You can get pie cases in Big C , then make up a batch of your favorite pies and keep in the freezer . Good for when you or the wife don't feel like cooking.

P_20191206_153006_vHDR_On.jpg

Wow, nice looking pies especially the bigger rectangular ones.

I'll get some cases from Big C but my filling will be the typical cornish pasty mix which my family love, but I haven't been doing if often because I always make a mess of home made pastry. Thanks.  

Just now, SteveK said:

It's so incredibly easy to make perfect pastry that I wouldn't want to buy it, especially here.

Yeah, how can anyone mess up making pastry?

All purpose flour, stir in the hard fat of your choice (I usually use Samson brand palm oil) until it looks like slightly yellow bread crumbs (add a small amount of salt and sugar if you want). Then mix in enough milk (or water) to turn it into a soft dough.

Roll out and cut to shape, use a bit of milk and a fork to glue any joins.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, how can anyone mess up making pastry?

All purpose flour, stir in the hard fat of your choice (I usually use Samson brand palm oil) until it looks like slightly yellow bread crumbs (add a small amount of salt and sugar if you want). Then mix in enough milk (or water) to turn it into a soft dough.

Roll out and cut to shape, use a bit of milk and a fork to glue any joins.

Exactly. Make sure the water comes out of the fridge though and add a pinch of salt. Has never failed.

I find the samson stuff gives a bit of an "off" flavour so use about half samson half butter to save money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Exactly. Make sure the water comes out of the fridge though and add a pinch of salt. Has never failed.

I find the samson stuff gives a bit of an "off" flavour so use about half samson half butter to save money.

Did some last week using Rice Bran Oil. Came out perfect, 2 cups of flour to half a cup of oil. Google it.