Clutch to tough

Randell

A friend of my is looking to upgrade his ride from a 300 Versey's to possibly A Vulcan S.  He went the other day and liked it and the ability to customize the ride position( which was the issue with the other bike). But he has limited strength in the left hand  the clutch on the 300 no problem  but on the S no can do( can but to strong for comfort).  Is there a way for him to be able to reduce the pull strength on the new bike ? ( Change the spring or something like that? )what are the options and costs involved. any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Not familiar with the Vulcan.

But if it uses a cable actuated clutch. and there is room, extend the lever the clutch cable hooks onto.

This provides more leverage - and thus less effort.

But be aware that said lever will need to have a larger arc to swing if you lengthen it.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

I've seen clutch levers with different leverage gradients before, not just offset from the bar. But a quick search didn't find one. It did find this and it is suitable for a kwaka. https://prospec.co.in/easy-clutch

About 1200 baht  + postage from India. Haven't used one but the seller has a you choob video showing the reduction in force required to make it work.

But if your mate is serious on keeping the bike, it wouldn't be hard or expensive to fab up a hydraulic setup.

Is the bike second hand? After prolonged use, clutch cables gradually become stiff. It's amazing what a new clutch cable does to the clutch action and ease of use. Feels almost like a different bike.

• Like 2

I would think on a new bike it is what it is but a shot of oil wouldn't hurt also to try and different model S to see if the same strength.  But the link Farangwithaplan  suggested from India might just be the ideal fix for that. I would assume that its a small sires of pulleys reducing the load by 40% quite clever and compact and unobtrusive.

Thanks fellows I will pass on all relevant suggestions you have come through again. Cheers 

Randell

is the vulcan s clutch, cable or hydraulic?

i would go back to the shop and have your friend sit on a similar or larger displacement bike that use a hydraulic clutch and see if he can operate it. if its not a problem, then maybe a hydraulic clutch kit is an easy(ier) solution. (having never used a hydraulic clutch before, one wonders if the pull is more difficult on bikes with more clutch plates (larger cc's) vs smaller displacement bikes)

next option, might be some custom work, making a left foot clutch pedal, with the left hand shifting gears.

Edited by Pine Sol
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2020 at 3:04 AM, piston broke said:

Think you'll find the bigger the bike, the heavier the clutch and the more "clunky" the gear box ....

"smaller bikes" save lives (or is it proud pipes - i keep getting confused....555)

Smaller bikes save lives in Thailand ... lives of the people in cars that hit them. I mean, you don't want to get hit by a big bike doing 85 mph.

image.jpeg.126ded319f07539061a5496d68197563.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the input. I have passed on all relevant info to my buddy. Who by the way has tendon problems due to injury or old age or both, so strengthening  while always a good idea won't totally fix the problem. I have ordered a product similar to the Indian  Easy clutch but form Lazada was far cheaper 400 Baht compared with 1250 baht for Easy clutch . It hasn't showed up yet but the the principle of action was the same just a fulcrum connecting the cables. So I will pass on my finding to my pal and use it my self as I find mine tiring in the city easily pulled but repetitions  give me a sore wrist eventually. In my case it's arthritis which is seeming to pop up in this old body far more than I would like. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 2