Changes at Phuket Immigration?

Psimbo

Please note that this is a specific thread about PHUKET Immigration.

Coming through the drive thru yesterday I noticed that just across to the right was a sign saying 'Biometric System Personal Record'. Perhaps @merijn can throw some light on this- is this a move to ease processes at Immigration by getting one's records on computer instead of having to copy endless reams of paper when doing things ( not that we seem to need as much paperwork these days anyway)?

It would be so much handier just to have a swipe card for address reporting, 90 day reporting (yes I prefer to do it in person as opposed to online so please don't start) and retirement permit renewal, etc. Are we seeing yet more pro-active services from our local Immigration office?

I've had a look on their website but there doesn't seem to be anything about this as yet- it seems to be a very new sign as I didn't notice it last week.

4 hours ago, merijn said:

I heard nothing yet about this sign but i will try to find out ????

3 hours ago, merijn said:

Have the information already,

It's only applicable for Myanmar people for their reporting duties.

Finger on the pulse as always- at least it's a start. Many thanks.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

not exactly true,

Its for all on L-A visas ( Burmese, laotions, Cambodians)

I think most migrant workers this far south would be from Myanmar. Personally I've never heard of, nor come across, any from other countries. The word Burmese is probably used generically here.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I think most migrant workers this far south would be from Myanmar. Personally I've never heard of, nor come across, any from other countries. The word Burmese is probably used generically here.

MY khmer gf holds a L-A visa and we know 4 other khmers here with L-A visas.

WE have met quite few working at gas stations in the south as well

FYI  over 600 khmers cross thru Pi Pet daily holding L-A visas

14 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

MY khmer gf holds a L-A visa and we know 4 other khmers here with L-A visas.

WE have met quite few working at gas stations in the south as well

FYI  over 600 khmers cross thru Pi Pet daily holding L-A visas

"I think most migrant workers this far south would be from Myanmar. Personally I've never heard of, nor come across, any from other countries".

I've now heard of a few. Where's Pi Pet?

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Where's Pi Pet?

That was a genuine question. When I searched I got links to pet detectives!  I now realize you meant Poi Pet on the Cambodian border. I've never been out that way.

Not surprising that many Cambodians enter there, but I still maintain that relatively few find their way to Phuket. It doesn't negate my statement that MOST migrant workers here are from Myanmar..

forgot the O

Poi pet

happy now??

They enter there if there legally employed and its their first entry into Thailand as in Aranyaprathet is where the migrant workers office is for Khmers and they go thru the final process for the L-A visa and obtain their wp the first time

18 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

forgot the O

Poi pet

happy now??

They enter there if there legally employed and its their first entry into Thailand as in Aranyaprathet is where the migrant workers office is for Khmers and they go thru the final process for the L-A visa and obtain their wp the first time

My post, here in the Phuket forum, was about my perception that most migrant workers in Phuket are Burmese.  I have never debated the fact that there are many thousands of Cambodian workers in Thailand, nor that they probably enter at a Thai - Cambodian border. 

I never stated there are no migrant workers here from other countries, just that I have not personally come in contact with any.

I have met and socialized with a number of Burmese workers. Where I live there are many camps nearby with huge numbers of these workers associated with building projects like the Tiger Park. My wife, who is Thai of Laos extraction, talks with many as she walks the dogs. They are all from Burma/Myanmar. 

After nearly 15 years on this forum I've learnt to never talk in absolutes as there's always someone who wants to take issue with whatever you say.

I feel you're arguing my words for the sake of it.

• Like 1

Personally I've never heard of, nor come across, any from other countries

you just lead a sheltered life LOL

not arguing just stating facts, just case you know of none, does not mean there are none and i stated, there are other nationalities in Phuket and the south on L-A visas.

although i agree 90% are Burmese

20 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

you just lead a sheltered life LOL

not arguing just stating facts, just case you know of none, does not mean there are none and i stated, there are other nationalities in Phuket and the south on L-A visas.

although i agree 90% are Burmese

I believe there are people from most countries on the planet in Phuket for various reasons even if I haven't personally met them all.

Again, I never stated there were no migrant workers here from places other than Burma, why do you persist in stating that I believe there are none?  Could you read my posts again and perhaps explain why you felt the need to debate with me your own false perceptions.

I don't live a sheltered life just because I personally haven't met a Cambodian here. Although, illness is now greatly impacting my ability to socialize as I once did.  LOL. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This week I extended my 1 year retirement at the room 103 of Phuket immigration.

Paper check was dome smoothly and I paid THB 1900 only.

After that, young assistant officer instructed me to put my finger on the finger print scanning machine. This is a new thing. They took my finger print of all 10 fingers.
And also, they took 2 of my photos. Last year, only 1 photo they took.
Actually these are not problem, done in a few minutes, simple process.

I think Thai official is tightening the check and control of expert.
I am afraid this might not be for ease something.
I can get along with these new thing. But in anyway, there are changes.

(This is a story of room 103. I do not know other room.)