Non-Immigrant O visa

As far as I am aware there is no basis to obtaining an O visa - the distinction comes when you want to extend it. The situation is I went to extend my current visa that expired in October and was granted one till March when my passport expired. I now have a new passport but I suspect Immigration will not extend the visa til October on that one. I do not have 12 months financial statements as I closed my old joint account and now have a single name account opened in September.

If Immigration refuse my application I will need a new O visa

There is different requirements for retirement, married, a family member of a person on extension, working as a volunteer and etc to have a non-o visa issued. Some embassies will not issue one for retirement.

They will extend your current extension starting from date the it ends. 

They may allow you to use the joint account now that you have more transfers into the country since October into a account in your name only,

• Like 1

fishtank there is no reason for a non-immigrant O visa when you first get one; that was my experience when I got mine in 2007. Anyway I am hoping they let me extend my current one on the basis ubonjoe suggests - watch this space I go tomorrow!!!

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, clifric said:

fishtank there is no reason for a non-immigrant O visa when you first get one; that was my experience when I got mine in 2007. Anyway I am hoping they let me extend my current one on the basis ubonjoe suggests - watch this space I go tomorrow!!!

Being successful in obtaining an extension is based on meeting the requirements for "based on". ie marriage, retirement etc.

Simple question...you state you are attending imm tomorrow to apply for 12 month permission of stay (extension).

Satisfying various requirements is what's required. 

I'm guessing you are obtaining extension based on retirement. 

Sounds like your using money transfers to support that. Hard to tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clifric said:

As far as I am aware there is no basis to obtaining an O visa - the distinction comes when you want to extend it. The situation is I went to extend my current visa that expired in October and was granted one till March when my passport expired. I now have a new passport but I suspect Immigration will not extend the visa til October on that one. I do not have 12 months financial statements as I closed my old joint account and now have a single name account opened in September.

If Immigration refuse my application I will need a new O visa

so you actually are in Thailand on an Extension of Stay (EOS), not on a Non-Imm-O visa.

You did not or are unable to tell us on what basis your extension was granted?  

(marriage?  Education? being over 50? volunteer work?)

In order to give you proper and correct advice, we need to know !

Immigration did not grant you the full 12 months period on that extension because they saw that your passport would expire.

You have a new passport by now. Go visit immigration and ask if you can make an NEW full year extension of stay based on (whatever reason you do it - these are just the 4 main ones - Marriage, ED, being over 50-retirement, Volunteer )  as you cannot apply for a Non-Imm-O outside of Thailand without stating the reason you want it for! And you cannot just get another Extension on top of your existing extension, without having any of the 4 "reasons"  

You need to fulfill the specific requirements for each type of a Non-Imm-O Visa, as listed above

which means, in the case of "based on marriage" or "based on retirement" - the financial requirements

Only for marriage based Non-Imm-O you do not need to prove any finances for a 1-year multi entry Non-Imm-O  on the consulates of Savanakhet or HCMC , on all other embassies or consulates you need the proof of finances

You seem to have fulfilled all requirements when you applied for your last extension of stay (out of whatever reason) and I do not see why, if you can still fulfill the same requirements, will not be granted another year on your now new passport. However Immigration will tell you, that you cannot apply for a new EOS until the last 45 or 30 days (depends on the immigration office)  before your existing Extension becomes invalid 

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Being successful in obtaining an extension is based on meeting the requirements for "based on". ie marriage, retirement etc.

Simple question...you state you are attending imm tomorrow to apply for 12 month permission of stay (extension).

Satisfying various requirements is what's required. 

I'm guessing you are obtaining extension based on retirement. 

Sounds like your using money transfers to support that. Hard to tell.

who knows, he seems unable to tell us on what basis he received his last extension

I find this very weird, especially for a person who has been living in Thailand on Extensions of Stay since 2007 and never in these 13 years realizing what the f.. he was doing on Immigration every other year

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

who knows, he seems unable to tell us on what basis he received his last extension

I find this very weird, especially for a person who has been living in Thailand on Extensions of Stay since 2007 and never in these 13 years realizing what the f.. he was doing on Immigration every other year

Greg, the only thing I can think of was that years ago there was a non o based on "visiting family or friends". That ceased quite some time ago. 

Anyway back to op, if he had clearly stated extension application tomorrow based on WHAT? He could be told docs required etc. Sounds like with change of banking details, he may indeed need start over with new non o. Who can tell.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Greg, the only thing I can think of was that years ago there was a non o based on "visiting family or friends". That ceased quite some time ago. 

there still is, but slightly changed - the reason now is "visiting family or relatives"  . . . (they removed the "friends" part, as this was obviously misused a million of guys ???? )  You can still get the Non-Imm-O not for reason being married but being the legal father of a Thai child and want to visit a relative.  Which needs to be proven with documentation

Edited by crazygreg44

Thank for all your comments guys; I said I would update after my visit to Immigration to transfer my current visa details to my new passport (incidentally still a burgundy colour but with European Union removed from the top).

I enquired as to whether my visa would now be extended to October (the original expiry date of my previous one) on the basis that I presented 12 months financial information in September. I was told that I would have to reapply with a full 12 months advice to extend beyond 3 March (the date my old passport expired). They confirmed that if I could not do this I would have to leave and obtain anew O visa from outside the Kingdom.

Anyway I went to my Kasikorn Bank branch today and managed to get some retrospective credit advice notes for deposits into my old cancelled joint account to fill in the gaps in my files. 4,000 THB  for eight.  I am now awaiting delivery of same by e-mail and then should be able to get a new extension.

For information as well as VFS requiring a colour copy of every page of your expiring passport when you apply - the Immigration police want a black and white copy of every page when you go to get details transferred (I paid nil in 2010). Fortunately I was aware due to a piece by Richard Barrow https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-british-passport-in-bangkok/

2 hours ago, clifric said:

... They confirmed that if I could not do this I would have to leave and obtain anew O visa from outside the Kingdom.

As mentioned in previous posts, it would be helpful to know which type of new O Visa you will be applying for.

RE the quote above > When you do not meet the requirements you will indeed have to leave Thailand, to apply for a new O Visa.  You can do that in your home-country, in a neighboring country or (after having returned VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa) at your local IO.

For each of these 3 options, the requirements can differ and not all Visa-types are issued depending where you applied.

Therefore to get concrete advice, the following info would be helpful:

- For which reason are you applying for the new Visa? (e.g. retirement, marriage);

- Where do you plan to apply (home-country / neighboring country / at local IO);

- Which is your local IO (not all IOs have same procedures when applying for a new Visa).

Edited by Peter Denis