Selling Poppies on The BTS

Millian

There has been a woman selling Remembrance Poppies at On Nut BTS all week.

I can't recall ever seeing Poppies in my ten years here. Are they a thing here? The box had a silhouette of a soldier on it, so presume they are for the same reason as usual. But if so, why are they being sold in Jan?

The Royal British Legion is quite well represented in Thailand and that's where I get my poppy from before Remembrance Sunday. They put donation boxes and poppies in certain hostelries and restaurants wherever they have a solid footing like Bangkok, Pattaya and Udon among others but maybe there's no effort to collect the left over stock after the event? Enter Thai free enterprise.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Royal British Legion is quite well represented in Thailand and that's where I get my poppy from before Remembrance Sunday. They put donation boxes and poppies in certain hostelries and restaurants wherever they have a solid footing like Bangkok, Pattaya and Udon among others but maybe there's no effort to collect the left over stock after the event? Enter Thai free enterprise.

Yes, I have seen these boxes around Thailand too. But, if there is money to be made, I am fairly certain people won't be relying only on left over stock, they'll have found a way to make/source their own.

It’s nothing to do with the RBL, though yes the guys put in more than their fair share of effort to distribute and raise funds and awareness around the Remembrance period.

These poppies are on sale to mark the Chinese New Year, they are on sale in shopping centers throughout the Kingdom, and it would now seem on the BTS. 

In Europe it’s a sign of remembrance for the people and armed forces that lost their lives on both sides during WW1, (Poppies were wild flowers prevalent in the fields in Flanders) but now I think has expanded to remember all servicemen past and present. Usually sold towards November in Europe.

Readily available in bars and expat stores down here in Pattaya area at that time of year.

20 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Should not be selling Poppies anywhere other than those sanctioned by the RBL, I still have a large one on the front of my car, I bought it back in October from a registered/recognised establishment. Maybe she needs reporting.

Why? Do they have the only franchise?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

In Europe it’s a sign of remembrance for the people and armed forces that lost their lives on both sides during WW1,

Traditionally it was also political and sign that you agree with the original statement that Earl Haig made that remembering the Great War in a certain way – "as something horrific, yet necessary; terrible, yet worthy."

Personally i struggle with the "yet worthy" ending! 

They were originally made in France! the production of which was started by an American woman.

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Should not be selling Poppies anywhere other than those sanctioned by the RBL, I still have a large one on the front of my car, I bought it back in October from a registered/recognised establishment. Maybe she needs reporting.

The sell them in the US for Memorial Day to honor veterans.  It's nothing to do with the RBL.

As a former member of the Royal British Legion in Chiang Mai, I can assure everyone that this is legitimate throughout the country for Thai Veterans Day (February 3rd 2020). Military personnel at the Tham Luang cave complex sell them in memory of, and respect for, Sergeant Kunan, the Thai Navy Seal who died during the rescue operation.

20130126-100530.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 6:46 PM, 007 RED said:

The sale of poppy's in and around Bangkok at this time of the year is perfectly OK.  Happens every year at about this time.

In the UK most people wear a poppy for Remembrance Day in November each year to commemorate the ending of WW1.  The funds raised by the sale of poppy's goes to Royal British Legion (RBL) who use the funds to help support ex-service personnel in need throughout the world.

Thailand has a similar scheme which they call Veterans Day.  This will be held on the 3rd February this year.   There will be a service of remembrance at Victory Monument in Bangkok. The Thai poppy's are a little different from those available in the UK and the money raised goes to the War Veterans Organisation of Thailand (equivalent of RBL) to help ex-service personnel.

Thanks for your answer.