BANGKOK
Millian

Selling Poppies on The BTS

There has been a woman selling Remembrance Poppies at On Nut BTS all week.

I can't recall ever seeing Poppies in my ten years here. Are they a thing here? The box had a silhouette of a soldier on it, so presume they are for the same reason as usual. But if so, why are they being sold in Jan?

she is trying to make few Baht and most probably, she has no idea what she is selling... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The Royal British Legion is quite well represented in Thailand and that's where I get my poppy from before Remembrance Sunday. They put donation boxes and poppies in certain hostelries and restaurants wherever they have a solid footing like Bangkok, Pattaya and Udon among others but maybe there's no effort to collect the left over stock after the event? Enter Thai free enterprise.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Royal British Legion is quite well represented in Thailand and that's where I get my poppy from before Remembrance Sunday. They put donation boxes and poppies in certain hostelries and restaurants wherever they have a solid footing like Bangkok, Pattaya and Udon among others but maybe there's no effort to collect the left over stock after the event? Enter Thai free enterprise.

Yes, I have seen these boxes around Thailand too. But, if there is money to be made, I am fairly certain people won't be relying only on left over stock, they'll have found a way to make/source their own.

It’s nothing to do with the RBL, though yes the guys put in more than their fair share of effort to distribute and raise funds and awareness around the Remembrance period.

These poppies are on sale to mark the Chinese New Year, they are on sale in shopping centers throughout the Kingdom, and it would now seem on the BTS. 

My wife came back with one the other day - says it's to do with supporting army veterans

• Thanks 1

Siam did send about 1300 troops to the great war in 1917....google

Should not be selling Poppies anywhere other than those sanctioned by the RBL, I still have a large one on the front of my car, I bought it back in October from a registered/recognised establishment. Maybe she needs reporting.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

In Europe it’s a sign of remembrance for the people and armed forces that lost their lives on both sides during WW1, (Poppies were wild flowers prevalent in the fields in Flanders) but now I think has expanded to remember all servicemen past and present. Usually sold towards November in Europe.

Readily available in bars and expat stores down here in Pattaya area at that time of year.

I have often seen such Thai poppy sellers both in Bangkok and more recently in Pattaya about two weeks ago. I took this photo of some sellers in Bangkok near Panthip a couple of years ago.

P1010377.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they were not at all remembrance poppies,

but 14 February Valentine poppies. 

• Haha 1

They are sold every year here in CM.  In fact, most often at the checkout counters of supermarkets.  It is up to you if you want to buy one, just as it is in many countries in the west.

20 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Should not be selling Poppies anywhere other than those sanctioned by the RBL, I still have a large one on the front of my car, I bought it back in October from a registered/recognised establishment. Maybe she needs reporting.

Why? Do they have the only franchise?

• Like 1