Cancel Marriage visa before divorce

Hello,

I currently have a Non-Immigrant Type "O" visa based on marriage extension(With a re-entry permit).

My wife and I are getting a divorce in the next months.

I want to change to an ED Visa and immigration said I have to leave the country for that.

Is it possible to "cancel" the marriage visa before the divorce and apply for the ED visa?

if you do the cheap route, at the amphur, can be done for 20 baht

if you have no kids, no house

the moment you sign, you have no more VALID reason of stay in this country

you can go , literally, beg immigration for 7 days before you have to leave

(thank you thailand, my ex got nationality for doing nothing at all after 2 years in home country)

as JOE said ... first you will need a divorce

if you don't divorce directly, before your visa is up, go for a 60 day extension to visit your wife ????

or you go to an embassy and ask a non-o based on marriage, good for 5x90 days in total (4 x 90 + extra 90 day just before you visa expires)

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

Follow the advice of your local immigration office.

So an IO said you need to leave the country to change to an ED visa? Try a different officer, every chance you will get a different answer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 8:05 AM, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories at immigration.

You could possibley change the reason for your extension of stay from marriage for some reasons. But for attending school it would be difficult if not impossible at immigration.

You best option may be to out of the country before your divorce is final and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would remain valid after you get divorced. That would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

Thank you really much for the answer. Can I do this even I have the current marriage extension + re-entry permit in the passport?

7 minutes ago, CNXAlex said:

Thank you really much for the answer. Can I do this even I have the current marriage extension + re-entry permit in the passport?

You could have problems applying for a non-o due to the valid re-entry permit. If it it is a single re-entry permit you could leave and re-enter the country to use it.