DId you pay sinsord and how much?

parafareno

4 hours ago, Gene1960 said:

A friend borrowed 900k from me to show off the money as his sinsod. He already spent around a million for the house for them to live. In Phang Nga, between Natai and Khok Kloi. 

Nice place. I have friend there.

Close to beach, close to Khok kloi town, (5 minute) but still in nature. 

Close to Phuket for hospital. (40 minute)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

1.5 million.... They asked for 2 originally, but we only had 1.5 spare ????

All for show only... Straight back to us after the wedding

What's peoples issue with Sinsod ?? It's the custom here so just go with it, or insist to get married in your home country...

It might be the custom for the first marriage, no kids and not from a bar. The thai embassy wep page evan says it is an old custom and wouldn't be paid if she is damaged goods. You also must think how much would she get from a thai guy in her own social class? 

Sinsod is as previously stated the Thai custom. Its much more than what it seems. The girl you marry is normally providing the income for the family and if the girl is from Issan its likley the family is very poor. The sinsod helps to offset that. I paid 200k and 1/2 baht gold to the family of my 22 year old Issan girl, no baby, ex gogo girl in 2014. All good so far and I dont pay the family anything except about 7k every rice season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being a little less money oriented wouldn't hurt Thailand.

I would never consider sin sod, even if it's for show and being returned afterwards. I'm OK with some Thai customs and it's give and take, but sin sod is a bridge too far.

Luckily my Thai girlfriend thinks its nonsense too.

Just now, Bassosa said:

I'm OK with some Thai customs and it's give and take, but sin sod is a bridge too far.

How does it differ, conceptually, from the tradition of a bride price or even dowry which was also commonplace throughout the history of many cultures?

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

How does it differ, conceptually, from the tradition of a bride price or even dowry which was also commonplace throughout the history of many cultures?

You said it: history.

These practices are outdated and have no place in a modern society. It's 2020!

• Like 1

I told the g/f that because I was a farang, she had to pay Sin Sod to me.

But I was generous. I told her I didn't need money or gold.

Just 2 kwaii (buffalo) and a nice house to live in. So far she is still with me but hasn't coughed up the Sin Sod so no marriage (which I bug her about every birthday she has).

I did a lot of reading before coming to Thailand. When the subject came up I just related what I had read in the Thai cultural studies books I read. Older girl, previous relationships, children ... nope. Young virgin ... that is a different matter but I am out of that age bracket. Ha! I also mention that in western society the tradition is for the bride’s family to supply a dowry ( the remnants of which are still seen today in the tradition of the bride’s family bearing the cost of the wedding).

1 hour ago, BTB1977 said:

It might be the custom for the first marriage, no kids and not from a bar. The thai embassy wep page evan says it is an old custom and wouldn't be paid if she is damaged goods. You also must think how much would she get from a thai guy in her own social class? 

Thanks for that insight

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Wedding itself cost about 1.3MB, we recovered that in envelope money (about 800 guests - mostly friends of my in-laws).

Surely you need to factor in the long-term reciprocal payment plan of paying for attending other people's weddings and funerals.

Sfa 

8 minutes ago, Morakot said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Wedding itself cost about 1.3MB, we recovered that in envelope money (about 800 guests - mostly friends of my in-laws).

Surely you need to factor in the long-term reciprocal payment plan of paying for attending other people's weddings and funerals.

Very true...  Each Wedding we go to we pay about 2000-4000 baht (Wife and I) depending on venue and how well we know the couple (usually its extended family) - about 3 weddings a year at the moment. 

My In-laws seem to be going to a Wedding every other week. In the November - December period they go to a wedding every week, sometimes a couple per week and sometimes MiL goes to one wedding while FiL goes to another !!! - It keeps them busy, but for sure, the cost (of paying out envelope money) add up. 

But at an Average of 3000 baht per wedding, that’s still over 430 weddings !!! - I think I may just shoot myself first !!! 

• Like 2

do you have a link to this I can show my gf?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very true...  Each Wedding we go to we pay about 2000-4000 baht (Wife and I) depending on venue and how well we know the couple (usually its extended family) - about 3 weddings a year at the moment. 

My In-laws seem to be going to a Wedding every other week. In the November - December period they go to a wedding every week, sometimes a couple per week and sometimes MiL goes to one wedding while FiL goes to another !!! - It keeps them busy, but for sure, the cost (of paying out envelope money) add up. 

But at an Average of 3000 baht per wedding, that’s still over 430 weddings !!! - I think I may just shoot myself first !!! 

Don't worry!! If you get too many invites, just tell them you're busy. You may return the envelop with less offering and enjoy the discount at your own discretion.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

200,000 baht cash  plus 5 baht gold bracelet and diamond rings my mom gave me to  give her.  Plus later bought  1.5 million house (worth 4+million now) and some land in Rayong , have new condo in Jomtien (we rent out) was 26 yo University grad, speaks perfect English, no kids no previous marriage.   

16 hours ago, tlock said:

I think the general rule of thumb is sinsod only applies to women who haven't been married before.

And is a virgin because that is what you are actually paying for.

Far to many think they can be the village bike but the farang must pay for what’s left if he wants to ride it