TM28 & TM30 Requirements

Luckily, I quickly got from the Chicago Consulate my non-imm, one-year, multi-entry visa to visit my Thai wife in Thailand. When I arrive at her apartment in BKK, do I have to submit the TM28 and TM30 within 24 hours? I'm a bit worried as she lives in an apartment that isn't at all in a place where Thais deal with farangs (I go for days in that neighborhood without seeing a non-Thai). My expectation is that whoever is running her apartment isn't going to know anything about how to deal with those forms. I understand you can't do that TM30 yourself but the landlord has to file it. Advice? Thoughts?

Two options:
Have your wife ask the landlord for the needed documents to file the TM30 for you online (see link below). Additionally, once the online account is set up, see if she can get permission to access the website with the login information for future use to log you for future travels or...

You can go to any immigration or police station and complete the TM28 (form attached). I've attached a power of attorney form also giving permission to anyone you might want to file the forms for you. Finally I have attached the entire immigration act, see sections 37 and 38 for rules on the TM28 and TM30 reporting requirements. 
tm28 (1).pdf
1619416007_Power-of-Attorney-FormforTM30 (1).pdf781542698_ImmigrationActB.E.2522(1979)en-immigration.pdf

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate all of that information. I'm a bit worried. Like a lot of situations in Thailand, wife has a very complicated status/relationship with the "landlord" of her apartment and this happens to be the local police department in her part of BKK. She was gifted the apartment by her ex-husband who is a police officer (apparently some police officers get an apartment as a perk of employment). I am not 100% certain, but the big boss police who might need to cooperate with these forms might not know that she and her ex-husband are actually divorced. Her long-term sublet of the apartment might be dependent on the police boss thinking that she's still married to her ex. The lower level police who also live around her know our relationship as I've been there many times...not sure about the big boss. My coming along may be something that confounds all of this. This may become quite interesting/frustrating for us. We will see.

Edited by JCP108

Staying long-term. You mean skip filing the TM28 altogether? Everything I'm seeing posted recently online seems to mean that I have to file a TM28 anytime I am somewhere for more than 24 hours...like when my wife and I will travel to Koh Samui for 5 days soon. I'll have to find the nearest immigration office or police station to file it for all travel over 24 hours. Ugh.

Edited by JCP108

25 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Staying long-term. You mean skip filing the TM28 altogether? Everything I'm seeing posted recently online seems to mean that I have to file a TM28 anytime I am somewhere for more than 24 hours...like when my wife and I will travel to Koh Samui for 5 days soon. I'll have to find the nearest immigration office or police station to file it for all travel over 24 hours. Ugh.

Been here on Non-O for years.

Forget anything you read on this forum, maintain plausible deniability.

Until someone official hands you instructions on your way in, it doesn't exist.

Write your address on the TM6 entry card on arrival as required, job done.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

So upon arrival at her place on this trip, I don't have to file the TM28, but I will have to get the "landlord" to file the TM30 for me, right?

As I wrote in my post you do not need to worry about any reporting unless you need to do something at a immigration office,

Okay. I hear you that in my current situation I don't need to file either form. So, in what situation would you need to file one and/or the other? When I go to immigration to file for the marriage visa...would I do it then?

8 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Okay. I hear you that in my current situation I don't need to file either form. So, in what situation would you need to file one and/or the other? When I go to immigration to file for the marriage visa...would I do it then?

That's a long way in the future, 15 months on your Non-o before then.

Then you could just fly to HCMC and buy another 1 year ME Non-o.

No need to ever see immigration.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Just as an example. I'm on extensions based on retirement (not your situation I realize) ....fly in out Thai every couple of weeks. I don't do tm30. Just prior to my last extension last Oct, I did my first ever tm30. I attended CW and it was not required. 

The whole tm30 thing erupted almost a year back and tm30 was ramped way up.

Folk were being fined. At CW often 800baht for no tm30. 

Personally my 7 years prior to that crazy period I had never filed a tm30.

Things seem to be back to normal. At least at CW.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Okay. I hear you that in my current situation I don't need to file either form. So, in what situation would you need to file one and/or the other?

In any situation that you would be required to provide proof of address.

For example opening a bank account, purchasing a vehicle, obtaining a Thai driving licence.

Typically either a Work Permit, a Yellow Tabien Baan (foreigners) or a Certificate of Residence from your Immigration office may be requested.

In your situation you'd probably need to obtain a Certificate of residence, which Immigration would refuse to issue until such time as a TM30 had been filed.

21 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

When I go to immigration to file for the marriage visa...would I do it then?

You would be applying for an extension based on marriage, it's a permit, not a Visa.

Your applying to extend your permission of stay.

Yes, a TM30 would need to be filed before Immigration would issue an extension.

Your wife's apartment will have a Blue book recording the address, then it records the persons registered as living at that address. If her ex gave her the apartment as part of a divorce settlement, who has the Blue book and who is named as living there?

• Thanks 1

OP, you can obtain residence certificate from USA embassy if needed.

As for bank account some banks ask for RC some do not. I recently opened two accounts at Kasikornthai bank without RC.

As for your next extension that is some time off.

Deal with tm30 at some point prior to attending immigration for next extension.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the advice. I already have a bank account (went to multiple banks until I found one that would give me an account on a tourist visa one time). I am waiting to apply for the yellow tabien when we move out of BKK. I'll wait until then or when I do the extension to do a TM30.

• Like 1

i remember 2 years ago when there was a big fuss about this .....on returning to thailand from a trip to Australia I went to my local IMM office to do this....filled in form , waited my turn and was told ...." not need :...address same as on computer."   My understanding is that it is only needed for a permanent change of address.....as stated ...put address on tm 6 ( arrivals card ) ...job done .

• Thanks 1

I did a TM28 at Jomtien this week, my owner lives abroad so I do one to cover my you know what.

Normally it’s done at the Front Desk but as there was only one person manning the Front Desk I was directed to Room 10. 3 young girls doing them. I had all the relevant documents, the girl looked through them tore of the slip at the bottom and throw it in the garbage. She produced another one already stamped wrote some stuff on it then gave it to me.

My documents were basically thrown on a huge pile of documents behind her, nothing was checked against me on the system or inputted so what’s the point in reporting ?

i asked her when I change from a Non O to an Extension of Stay do I still need to report, yes even though I have bee staying at the same address for over 3 years.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

Unless you will be doing something at a immigration office you basically don't need to worry about the reporting.

Is not it a legal requirement to file TM30 even if does not have to deal with immigration. I know my friend does not do any TM30 but he is on an EV and he says he does not care, if required he will pay the fine. My realestate agent does it once a year when I renew my lease and I also never do it, even though I travel frequently outside Thailand so much so taht I don't do any 90-day reporting. 

Edited by Vascoda

On 1/30/2020 at 7:03 AM, JCP108 said:

It's officially the TM30 which at several immigration offices should be submitted within 24 hours,not the TM28, which is again, "officially" used for a Change of Address, like a permanent address for an expat moving to another province. Many immigration offices don't want a TM28 to be submitted, some of them even throws it in the bin and many police stations doesn't have a clue what it is. How long are you staying with your gf? Do you have any reasons to visit immigration while you're here? If not, don't bother submitting any TM30 report whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will be going to the UK for about 5 weeks around Songkran.  I did a TM30 when I last returned from the UK in November.  I've heard conflicting information from IO at Jomtien and ex-pats having been out of Thailand.  I've not been anywhere overnight since I returned, so no further TM30 done.  Some advice is yes, you do need to file a TM30 after returning to Thailand in all cases and no, you don't need to if you are returning to the same address you reported previously.

Lets say I play it safe and report to Jomtien immediately I get back to Thailand.  If they tell me I don't need to do a fresh report as I'm in the same house, then that's only a few photocopies wasted.  If I do have to report, do I need to take copies of all the bumf I showed last time as it will all be identical to the first lot (apart from TM 6 landing card perhaps?). Any ideas?