Pattaya and the virus: Tourism down 60% compared to last year and no end in sight

webfact

Pattaya and the virus: Tourism down 60% compared to last year and no end in sight

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

The doom and gloom around tourism in Pattaya after the outbreak of the coronavirus is now being keenly felt and matters are set to continue for the foreseeable future, said a leading industry figure. 

As restrictions on selling hotel and flight packages to tour groups bite and the dwindling numbers of Chinese already in Thailand head home, operators in Pattaya are having to scurry to find new tourists to replace their number one source of income, reported Sophon Cable TV. 

They quoted secretary of the entertainment and tourist industry Damrongkiat Pinitkarn as saying that Chinese New Year 2020 was 60% down on last year. 

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

He spoke of a "great effect" from the coronavirus that has seen several large Chinese cities virtually sealed. 

Damrongkiat said that to make matters worse what people there are in Pattaya are avoiding places with poor ventilation like discos and pubs.

His message was that it was getting worse not better and it would be a long time before there was a recovery.

He said that operators need to seek out new markets like the Indians and Koreans to take up some of the slack. 

As far as preventative measures go in combating the spread of the virus he said that entertainment businesses in Pattaya had initiated staff training and more cleaning and gels and thermometers were on hand to increase confidence of customers. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-30

26 minutes ago, sucit said:

You mean people don't want to visit a place where residents are exchanging bodily fluids with multiple people each evening when there is a potential virus outbreak? Strange. 

Dear Reverend there are churches available in sin city for the afflicted !

• Haha 2

last night (Wednesday) Hua Hin was so busy we had to ride around on my scooter looking for a place to eat that was not full. 

soi 94 had so many white people we had to slow down and dodge them as they were blocking the street.

still many Chinese tourists here where i live four kilometers south of Hua Hin. 

people seem to wear masks during the day but not at night to go to restaurants.

Edited by NCC1701A

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Current hotel I'm in is cheaper than 20 years ago. Clearly the view is that some income is better than absolutely zero. Another hotel I use has also dropped their rates

is that 20 years of wear and tear though gone from state of the art to what a state ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

last night (Wednesday) Hua Hin was so busy we had to ride around on my scooter looking for a place to eat that was not full. 

soi 94 had so many white people we had to slow down and dodge them as they were blocking the street.

still many Chinese tourists here where i live four kilometers south of Hua Hin. 

people seem to wear masks during the day but not at night to go to restaurants.

That perception seems to be relative. I was there a few days ago, and have never in over a decade, seen it slower and quieter in January. The malls were empty, there was little to no traffic, and everyone was complaining there are no tourists or ex-pats anywhere to be seen. I did see some Chinese. But I was surprised at how quiet the town was. 

This is really going to hurt tourism. What the authorities do not seem to get is that quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. All it needs now is a spread of this virus. It could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. I already know one family that has cancelled their trip over here. Why take a chance? Who can trust the Thai authorities, and what they say? Why trust them? What have they done to earn that trust? And how many flights from China, are still coming into Thailand daily? That is a scary thought. I like the Chinese people, but do not want to be anywhere near them right now! My guess is that the majority of the world feels that way, and tourists have alot of choices. The last thing in the world a tourist wants out of their trip is a potentially deadly disease, or being quarantined. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Jomtien is heaving with westerners, beach is packed...was a queue waiting to dine at surf kitchen a few days ago, and most other restaurants full..Bars were empty as have been all year

Funny that...last time I went to Pattaya I just saw westerners heaving.

Rooster

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have said it before and I'll say it again...

In order to save Pattaya and all the lovely creatures working there, TVF members should all pitch in and rent a 'Pied a Terre' for NCC1701A. Given his appetites and exertions, he'd single-handedly restore the entire working girl industry and thus save the city.

Save Pattaya by getting NCC1701A to move!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

However, judging by some of his latest posts, he might be heading back into priesthood. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is really going to hurt tourism. What the authorities do not seem to get is that quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. 

Maybe the authorities do get that low class quantity is all they can get. How are quality/wealthy tourists going to be attracted  here. Pattaya/Jomtien are third string seaside resorts , never are going to be Monte Carlos. With improvements to infrastructure could attract middle classes. But alot of these "infrastructure  improvements' are just allocations for contracts/kickbacks from contractors to city hall 

individuals. Talk about lowering quality of experience: Endless roadworks and beach drainage projects. Have you taken a ride down Beach Rd in the last 6 months ? Well no hurry most likely another 6 months for this latest project following all the latest failed projects making a total mess of the beach. Then have you walked  around the sidewalks and  especially the corners ?  No ,quantity oblivious low class  cigarette smoking slobs / tourists are their only card.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

That perception seems to be relative. I was there a few days ago, and have never in over a decade, seen it slower and quieter in January. The malls were empty, there was little to no traffic, and everyone was complaining there are no tourists or ex-pats anywhere to be seen. I did see some Chinese. But I was surprised at how quiet the town was. 

yes and that was how it was just a few days ago.

but last night was crazy busy. we where really shocked at how many people.