Pattaya and the virus: Tourism down 60% compared to last year and no end in sight

webfact

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

You get the feeling the bar tourists are getting to be a thing of the past

No doubt all will resolved with arrival of the 4000 American Navy guys next month will save the day

At least for their duration .?

They won' t be coming I bet.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sucit said:

You mean people don't want to visit a place where residents are exchanging bodily fluids with multiple people each evening when there is a potential virus outbreak? Strange. 

Oh I don't know, if HIV and STD's didn't stop them from coming a bit of pneumonia won't do much harm, anyway they have the Russians and Indians to fall back on....lovely jubbly, this time next year everyone will be rich. ????

6 hours ago, sucit said:

You mean people don't want to visit a place where residents are exchanging bodily fluids with multiple people each evening when there is a potential virus outbreak? Strange. 

Hey. Not nice to discriminate against the evening crowd. I always say, mornings have a lovely quality to them, and there are many advantages! The air is often better, it is a new day, and there is far less fluid to be found! Fresh!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that operators need to seek out new markets like the Indians and Koreans to take up some of the slack.

Yeah like they're going to come to a place to catch a virus.... or stay well away?

My monies on the latter!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Damrongkiat said that to make matters worse what people there are in Pattaya are avoiding places with poor ventilation like discos and pubs.

I don't think it's the poor ventilation they are avoiding in the discos and pubs, it's the drinks menu prices they are avoiding, but yes, yes, blame it on the virus.  ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

A myth that somehow still passes by. Hotel that you knocked earlier in the thread reduced prices by 40% to get customers in. It worked

A 2nd hotel that I use has also dropped prices by 20% for the same reason

As said before, it's a race to the bottom here now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Thai Authorities have made the classic first Year working for your self in your own Business mistake.

Its a mistake that only the really naive, and greedy make when in Business.

The mistake is this >>>>>

Never, repeat never, do work or Contract for only one Customer that pays well.

The reason is that if that Customer suddenly has a problem, they will take your business down with them.

Its better to do work for 100 small Customers, that way if 1 or 2 have a problem, it does not take you down.

A fundamental School Boy mistake from a Nations Leaders. 

Time for them to pay for their Faux Pas now

As I have said before, the Chinese tourism market is a fickle one, and Thailand placed all their eggs in the Chinese basket. 

Tough times ahead for those in the Thai tourism industry.

• Confused 1

It seems to me that the traditional farang visitor would be lured back to Thailand easily by removing the government's foot from the neck of the nightlife industry, whereas luring families to return during a health scare is a much more difficult goal.

I believe in inverse currency patterns. When the Chinese hordes return--the USD will get pounded again. And the Chinese Yuan shall rise to glorious new highs.

So happy days again.

Waiter, I'll have the bat soup with another Corona beer, please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

scurry to find new tourists to replace their number one source of income

Exactly what places are they referring to?  When I was there in July and August all I saw was groups of chinese walking up and down walking street looking looing around but not going in anywhere.   What hotels/condos are they staying in with what I assume are these pre arranged tours?  What restaurant places do they go to?  I can imagine that big place up on Third road. 

• Like 1