Pattaya and the virus: Tourism down 60% compared to last year and no end in sight

webfact

15 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I have done 2 coups , one tsunami , SARS and now this when do I get my purple heart ?

Me too.  My friends and I had reservations for Phuket the Dec 25-27 that year.  Then for some reason my buddy who was making the arrangements at the last minute changed them to Ko Samet (we were in Pattaya).   Dodged that one as I know I would have been on the beach in the morning before the sun gets too hot.  I did the SARs, thing, the Thaksin Coup, The BKK airport shutdown, roving large groups of yellow or red shirts I forget that were going in Pattaya, the Pattaya curfew when they just shut down the gogos right in mid dance, now toss in the Los Angeles Northridge earthquake, the blizzard of 78 in Rhode Island that shut the state down and we kept our family restaurant open 24 hours a day for 7 days,

4 hours ago, gimo said:

Many people report having SEEN Chinese in tourist areas . How do you know they're Chinese , just by 'seeing' . I need to hear Mandarin or Cantonese spoken ,  before identifying them as Chinese .

Many of them I can see from a mile away that they are Chinese. Mannerisms, clothing, facial features, hair cuts etc. I am pretty good at identifying different nationalities.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, gimo said:

Many people report having SEEN Chinese in tourist areas . How do you know they're Chinese , just by 'seeing' . I need to hear Mandarin or Cantonese spoken ,  before identifying them as Chinese .

Oh they are apparent, trust me on this! The language can also be heard from a virus safe distance too! The issue is a large crowd bearing down on you with no escape. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

How come I still don't feel sorry for TAT.........LOL

You shouldn't.  They are so lucky.

Every time tourism takes a sharp decline, they have something to blame it on. 

Tsunami, swine flu, bird flu, military coups, volcanoes, GFC, and now coronavirus.   

On 1/30/2020 at 8:12 AM, webfact said:

Tourism down 60%

Gosh with all the other statistics on tourism being down due to the pollution, smoke from fires, and accidents. At this rate the hotels will soon have negative occupancy numbers

Just back from Jomtien Immigration - a group of about 10 bigwig wig police came in to the office around 1.30pm  carrying bundles of masks were filmed handing out to about 6 masks to  6 folk on the front row with smile and they were gone all in under a minute. Amazing TAT photo op !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

At this rate the hotels will soon have negative occupancy numbers

They will try the 2 for 1 room business model first.  Pay for one room for your holiday, get the second room for your friend for free.  ????