VIDEO: Shocking moment fishing trawler collides with Koh Chang ferry

webfact

17 minutes ago, GordonP said:

International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea. Both are motor vessels, fishing boat is give way vessel. 

Above I wrote that the fishing boat is at fault but I had not seen the video; in fact the fishing boat comes from the right and therefore has priority;

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The local harbor master will meet the captains and crew of both vessels today to investigate what happened. 

ummm......you misunderstand.  they're not going to discuss the accident, after all it's just fate.

they'll be starting an investigation into a foreign tourist using naughty words in public.  shirley posting that on sociable media must be a violation of some digital security law.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

One foreign passenger among the tourists who witnessed the incident can be heard to swear.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just shows not only are there crazy drivers on the roads, but on fishing boats also

Helmsman on fishing boat either drunk, or busy looking at his smart phone.

Maybe looking mirror put on makeup? 

Or makeup story?

29 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Above I wrote that the fishing boat is at fault but I had not seen the video; in fact the fishing boat comes from the right and therefore has priority;

Correct, but unfortunately just like the roads here the rules are secondary: the long-tails, speedboats and fishing boats (albeit to a lesser extent as they do tend to have a bit more of a clue), will utterly refuse to take any sort of avoiding manoeuvre at all due to the 'face' culture, preferring to collide and die rather than pass round the back of you (or even brake, in the case of a car or motorbike). This is the main cause of the high death toll here, I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordonP said:

International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea. Both are motor vessels, fishing boat is give way vessel. 

Wrong. The rule is that the vessel that has another vessel approaching from his right and on a potential collision course, must give way to that vessel.

When I did my helmsman's course we learned a little ditty:

'When his port light doth appear, 'tis your duty to keep clear'.

In this scenario, the ferry had the duty to avoid collision by steering to starboard (right) and going to the rear of the fishing boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is this level of fvckw!ttery which absolutely frightens me. 

Idiots like this drive lorrys, pickups, delivery vehicles. 

Then we have the ‘prettys’ in their hello-kittle monogramed Vios or Jazz in a perpetual state of Line Messaging.

The we have the entitled ‘I stop for no-one’ and tail-gate like a rhino-on-heat in their Camrys and Fortuna’s 

And of course we have the ‘can do no wrong I have right of way’ Merc & BMW’s... 

Thats most of the stereotypes and generalisations covered - but these stereotypes are borne somewhere and not wholly inaccurate. 

The level of stupidity, carelessness, lack of consequence and complete ignorance of the most basic of safety standards is a facet in every level of transport and society. It really is so disappointing that Thailand is unable to mature from its damning attitude towards basic safety measures. 

You forgot the grannies with parasols on motorbikes who take a diagonal line to every right turn and then round the corner completely on the wrong side of the road!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does Thailand require licenses for Captains of ferry and fishing vessels?

I am a licensed Captain by U S Coast Guard.

In USA if there is 1 paying passenger onboard you must have a minimum of an OUPV license.

That is the lowest ranking and allows you to ha 6 paying passengers.

Then they go from 50 Ton to Unlimited Master of the Ocean.

Not sure what if any regulations here but have sure read about a lot of boat accidents in my 15 ya here.

They both should face penalties and in real world arbitration in a maritime court they would each be apportioned a percentage of the blame. The ferry appears to be the give way vessel as far as I can tell in the video having the fishing boat on his starboard side being the stand on vessel, but, the fishing vessel seeing that the ferry was not giving way should have taken action to avoid a collision once it became obvious they were going to collide. Key words being in the real world! I will say this doesn't just happen in Thailand, I encounter it on a daily basis throughout SE Asia. Even the US Navy has had some bad collisions in the last few years that resulted in several deaths. So even professionals disobey the rules, sometimes they don't get away with it.  

• Like 1

The trawler captain probably has a private issue with the ferry captain and tried to make a statement by collision at full speed. (I refuse to believe he didn't see the big ferry right in front of him)

We have already been warned repeatedly about roadrage, time to be careful with crazy captains at sea as well.

Is there any safe place left to travel in Thailand?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bander said:

The trawler captain probably has a private issue with the ferry captain and tried to make a statement by collision at full speed. (I refuse to believe he didn't see the big ferry right in front of him)

We have already been warned repeatedly about roadrage, time to be careful with crazy captains at sea as well.

Is there any safe place left to travel in Thailand?

You reckon they’d had an ongoing neighbourly feud involving where the washing line was placed and fumes from cooking going into the neighbours house? :whistling:

19 minutes ago, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

"When two power-driven vessels are crossing, so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel."

nav-rules-crossing-illustration.png

(Edit: looks like the ferry should have given way)

But, this isn’t really an issue about giving way, its an issue about pure-f@ckwittery, placing innocents in danger - an ongoing issue in Thailand, Boats Busses, Lorries, Cars, Tourist on Motorcycles (thank-you Yinn), Grannies on scooters with parasols (thank you sunsetT).... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The local harbor master will meet the captains and crew of both vessels today to investigate what happened. 

The fishing boat captain will give a bow to the master of the ferry. The harbormaster will give the fishing vessel captain a stern reprimand  and order him to appear before the steering board before he leaves port. :ermm:

Scary, i use this ferry often, many trawlers come close, the ferry is a large vessel not so easy to change course ie take evasive action , this trawler was flat out, the ferry takes 40 min to cover approx 8 km. The captain would have been looking ahead and probably unaware the trawler was going to hit his stern .

• Like 1