BANGKOK
webfact

VIDEO: Shocking moment fishing trawler collides with Koh Chang ferry

10-1 on his phone or Napping

Edited by Ireland32

International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea. Both are motor vessels, fishing boat is give way vessel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lucky not one of those lurking chinese mega trawlers! the tonnage could have been closer to parity

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

My money is on the Corona virus.

My money is on the YaBa virus.

• Haha 1

I'm kinda surprised that the ferry captain didn't send a few loud horn blasts out to alert the trawler. As a captain I'd be <deleted> about another vessel aiming to T-bone me.

17 minutes ago, GordonP said:

International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea. Both are motor vessels, fishing boat is give way vessel. 

Above I wrote that the fishing boat is at fault but I had not seen the video; in fact the fishing boat comes from the right and therefore has priority;

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The local harbor master will meet the captains and crew of both vessels today to investigate what happened. 

ummm......you misunderstand.  they're not going to discuss the accident, after all it's just fate.

they'll be starting an investigation into a foreign tourist using naughty words in public.  shirley posting that on sociable media must be a violation of some digital security law.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

One foreign passenger among the tourists who witnessed the incident can be heard to swear.

• Like 1

These ferries are soooooo tiny, not easy to see. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just shows not only are there crazy drivers on the roads, but on fishing boats also

Helmsman on fishing boat either drunk, or busy looking at his smart phone.

Maybe looking mirror put on makeup? 

Or makeup story?

29 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Above I wrote that the fishing boat is at fault but I had not seen the video; in fact the fishing boat comes from the right and therefore has priority;

Correct, but unfortunately just like the roads here the rules are secondary: the long-tails, speedboats and fishing boats (albeit to a lesser extent as they do tend to have a bit more of a clue), will utterly refuse to take any sort of avoiding manoeuvre at all due to the 'face' culture, preferring to collide and die rather than pass round the back of you (or even brake, in the case of a car or motorbike). This is the main cause of the high death toll here, I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordonP said:

Wrong. The rule is that the vessel that has another vessel approaching from his right and on a potential collision course, must give way to that vessel.

When I did my helmsman's course we learned a little ditty:

'When his port light doth appear, 'tis your duty to keep clear'.

In this scenario, the ferry had the duty to avoid collision by steering to starboard (right) and going to the rear of the fishing boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1