VIDEO: Shocking moment fishing trawler collides with Koh Chang ferry

webfact

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, but what you have kindly done for me is highlight the hideous attitude many Thai’s have to the issues presented. Instead of owning the problems you have deflected in a highly flawed attempt to minimise the significance of what is widely accepted to be one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to transport safety. Even the safety standards of your national airline have been condemned (FAA down graded TG’s safety rating).

People are idiots - you highlighted some of these idiots (tourists renting bikes), but how many of these tourists (idiots) contribute to the astronomically high death toll on Thailands roads? These same idiots are unable to ride scooters in many developed nations because they are adequately policed by a government mature enough to deal with issues face on rather than bury their head in the sand and suggest ‘but what about this’ or blame something else (deflection) much like you have done - its such a very Thai response to any issue involving thought (sorry for the bash, but you are proof of this pudding).

Thank you for your response in providing another facet of irresponsibility where Thailand and its lack of enforcement allows dumb tourists to flaunt the law and cement the fact that Thailand has an atrocious approach to safety.

Of course, the next response I would expect from a Thai would be ‘why live here if you have so much criticism of the place?’ which again, is just further deflection and would highlight further immaturity, so please don’t stoop, instead just accept that those of us with valid criticisms of Thailand love the place and our criticisms match very closely those of some of our Thai peers who are mature enough to recognise the issues without feeling the need to ’save face’ and ‘deflect’. 

Mr. Smith, very nicely written, I think, and although I've only been here a couple of years and live in a small village in a Central Province I can relate to just about everything you've said.

In my opinion, perhaps the most pertinent point you make, and this includes a more recent post from Yinn about her nurse friend seeing the injured falangs (Westerners?) in the hospital is that 'if one can get away with it one will'. You sum it up nicely with....

'Thank you for your response in providing another facet of irresponsibility where Thailand and its lack of enforcement allows dumb tourists to flaunt the law and cement the fact that Thailand has an atrocious approach to safety.' 

Stupid is as stupid does whether Thai, falang or anyone else. 

As an aside, I'm always happy to read Yinn's responses to what many here would call 'Thai bashing'....all credit to her for providing a defence of her country....but tell us Yinn..how long have you lived outside Thailand? where did you live? why did you live there? why did you come back?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

Mr. Smith, very nicely written, I think, and although I've only been here a couple of years and live in a small village in a Central Province I can relate to just about everything you've said.

In my opinion, perhaps the most pertinent point you make, and this includes a more recent post from Yinn about her nurse friend seeing the injured falangs (Westerners?) in the hospital is that 'if one can get away with it one will'. You sum it up nicely with....

'Thank you for your response in providing another facet of irresponsibility where Thailand and its lack of enforcement allows dumb tourists to flaunt the law and cement the fact that Thailand has an atrocious approach to safety.' 

Stupid is as stupid does whether Thai, falang or anyone else. 

As an aside, I'm always happy to read Yinn's responses to what many here would call 'Thai bashing'....all credit to her for providing a defence of her country....but tell us Yinn..how long have you lived outside Thailand? where did you live? why did you live there? why did you come back?

...after all the annual deaths caused by reckless driving, one would think the remainder would be a better quality of driver..but it seems not.

8 hours ago, davethailand said:

Fishing boat captain was on the phone or asleep?

Fishing boat captain is blessing his boat with fireworks and other stuff for "good luck"every morning.

Looks like the blessing worked today as well.

International regs for collision at sea... Both are at fault for not maintaining a proper lookout and keeping a safe distance... Both vessels are classed as motor vessels as the fishing vessel shows no day light symbol showing that she is engaged in Fishing. (if she does show symbol then she actually has more right of way as she is hampered by her gear) Both are at fault but the majority of the fault lays on the Passenger Vessel for not giving way to a vessel on its starboard side. The fishing vessel (as against a vessel engaged in Fishing) and the passenger Vessel lookout should not have allowed a close quarter situation to develop..... The buck stops at the old man "Captain" but chances are he or she did not have the Con of the vessel at the time of the incident just like the Chief Engineer was probably nowhere near the motors...  Duty Mate at the helm??? The Fishing vessel is the Stand on Vessel and the Passenger Vessel is the give way vessel unless it is displaying Constrained by Draught or Not Under Command day shapes or in a channel or Separation Scheme. 

Edited by Thaifish

Interesting how most everyone blames the fishing boat. In fact the fishing boat is on the right meaning that he is required to maintain course and speed while the ferry is required to give way. Additionally, the fishing boat has the right of way because he is a fishing boat. The ferry operator is primarily to blame for this collision.

5 hours ago, GordonP said:

International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea. Both are motor vessels, fishing boat is give way vessel. 

There is a reason why vessels at sea carry a red light to port and a green light to starboard. Red means stop, Green means go. So the fishing vessel would see a green light and the ferry would see a red light. Now then, which regulations are you reading ????

Trawler is at fault he hit the ferry’s port side you are the stand on vessel to vessels approaching your port side to me looks like the trawler was on auto pilot lucky very lucky indeed glad no one was killed

46 minutes ago, Seismic said:

There is a reason why vessels at sea carry a red light to port and a green light to starboard. Red means stop, Green means go. So the fishing vessel would see a green light and the ferry would see a red light. Now then, which regulations are you reading ????

This incident happened in the daytime??? Rules I read are under the IALA code. 

International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA)

The International Rules for Prevention of Accident at sea comes under that code..

Edited by Thaifish

16 minutes ago, Tug said:

Trawler is at fault he hit the ferry’s port side you are the stand on vessel to vessels approaching your port side to me looks like the trawler was on auto pilot lucky very lucky indeed glad no one was killed

Read my post #74... It is not a trawler... It is a power driven vessel... I do not know location of incident or what day shapes the passenger vessel was showing at the time but it "appears" to me that the passenger vessel is more at fault. The passenger vessel is the give way vessel.. The fishing vessel "not engaged in fishing" is the stand on vessel and has right of way being on the Starboard side.

• Like 1

Isn't the more  maneuverable craft is supposed to give way?  Maybe trawler navigator and helmsman, and I use those terms loosely,  thought or judged they could make it clear without making any speed or direction changes?   Gosh just cut back on the throttle a little bit and no measurable time would have been lost.  Instead now, they came to a stop.

4 hours ago, Tug said:

I agree with the autopilot (probably a stick and a piece of rope), but port side or not, the more maneuverable vessel is supposed to give way.  So either way the fishing boat should be at fault.  But not much will happen in this case.  Might be some paint scratches on one or both of the hulls.  What's the going rate for that?  I have heard 30,000 baht for jet ski hull scrapes!

25 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

the more maneuverable vessel is supposed to give way.

Yep them's the new rules... Everyone just throw out all the other rules from IMO Solas ISGOT IALA Marine Orders and everyone can drive their boat safely now.   

• Like 2

I feel sorry for both Vessels.. A life at sea is hard enough without an incident.... Unless you wear their shoes you do not understand what their world is.. If your occupation is or was a fellow sailor then I am sure you will grasp it.  

"One foreign passenger among the tourists who witnessed the incident can be heard to swear".    Oh them terrible foreigners again........  nevermind the pratt not at the helm on the fishing boat endangering the lives on both vessels..........  Quick let's set up a panel full of generals to investigate the foul language used by the foreigner.......   And these lot fly planes as well............   La la land......

14 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Read my post #74... It is not a trawler... It is a power driven vessel... I do not know location of incident or what day shapes the passenger vessel was showing at the time but it "appears" to me that the passenger vessel is more at fault. The passenger vessel is the give way vessel.. The fishing vessel "not engaged in fishing" is the stand on vessel and has right of way being on the Starboard side.

Wrong but just be happy no one was killed 

14 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Looking at the relative speeds and maneuvering abilities of the 2 vessels in the video, the ferry had absolutely no way to get out of the path of the fishing boat.  The fishing boat may have been on the right, but there was nothing the ferry captain could have done to avoid the collision.  

• Like 1

Nautical terms.....When two lights you see in front, full ahead and ram the c#@t.

Green to green or red to red perfect safety go ahead.

This guy wasn’t paying any kind of attention to the last minute and turned to port to avert more damage. It certainly wasn’t his right of way, if he even understands the term. Probably an ex US navy skipper based on their recent track record. 555

• Like 1