Thai govt considering suspension of visa on arrival for visitors from China

webfact

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

I read somewhere that People in Thailand who had the virus had become well and were sent home. My question is if you recover from the virus do you immediately cease to be a carrier ?

I wouldn't believe everything you read, I read the same thing, later to read Prayut said he had it and the PM2.5 situation under control.

Why on earth would those who came here from China who were infected, go back ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Are you aware of the annual death toll caused  world wide  by the "conventional " influenza ?

Yes I am, 0.1 percent the usual mortality rate. Mostly old or otherwise immunocompromised. This is different, much more aggressive and spreading fast.

SARS had 8500 cases after 7 months and we are already over that, after ~50 days. SARS had higher mortality rate of 11 percent but the infection rate was less than one. 

If the number of deaths are less than 500 by next Wednesday, not so bad. Not great, not terrible. If it is 2000 then it is global pandemic bad with serious consequences and disruptions to the global economy.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The death toll from SARS was also exacerbated by the fact that it was not revealed early enough  although recognized. A Mistake that the Chinese  have not repeated this time.

WRONG! They repeated it. You need to research a little more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lavezzi said:

those you call "facts" are based on China Gov numbers?

How is it possible that about 40 deaths made Wuhan a ghost city?

Do you think that China Gov scared Wuhan citizens up to making all of them barricade at home?

Does it sounds strange to you?

I just need to adjust my tinfoil hat before I re read your post, just hang on a sec.... 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A Mistake that the Chinese  have not repeated this time.

I read something quite to the contrary today. I can not post it here as not sure if allowed. But I will PM you the article if you wish.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They let a boat land in Phuket with 1200 Chinese on board 

The place is crawling with them. Looks like little Chine out there. I can't blame them really I run away too and Thailand is one of the few places welcoming them with open arms. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Some up to date figures:

Deaths - 213 all in China

Confirmed cases in China 7736 - Rest of world 98

Average age of infected persons in China - 56

Number of previous global emergencies since 2009 - 5 (2009 Swine flu, 2014 Ebola and Polio, 2016 Zika and 2019 Ebola again)

So after at least 11 days, just 98 cases outside China with no fatalities. Meanwhile, after 11 days on Thai roads.....

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

A mistake that the Chinese HAVE repeated this time. When this virus was revealed in early December, China arrested the 8 doctors who reported it as spreading false news, and bringing China into disrepute. It wasn't until the cases started increasing that China reluctantly revealed it!

There is an excellent article in the New York Times on this subject. Worth reading.

And I am a Brit who doesn't usually like what the USA does. This article is very interesting.

The Thais have not announced updated numbers since Jan 27. There was a thread on here yesterday quoting the nation newspaper saying that provincial hospitals are not allowed to announce anything by order of the health Department but it seems to have disappeared 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MaxLee said:

As always, the last ones to react worldwide :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Sorry not so fast. Count in Finland. They have a confirmed case and nobody there is concerned... even that person had contact with several others and spreading it for days.. No urgency to deal with it and a doctor (in charge) is saying that people should really worry about flu and influenza...

Wuhan citizen plainly tells the #coronavirus situation in Wuhan & seeks help from the world.

China coronavirus: deadly day in Hubei as a record high 42 patients die; China total rises to 213
Of the newly reported deaths, 30 were in Wuhan, health officials said
The province has reported 5,806 confirmed cases, with 32,340 people still under observation
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3048320/china-coronavirus-deadly-day-hubei-record-high-42-patients-die

Thursday’s toll brought the nationwide death total to 213. So far, no fatality has been reported outside mainland China.
A total of 1,220 new cases have been confirmed in 17 cities across the province on Thursday, bringing the total to 9,356 nationwide, far exceeding that of the 2002-03 Sars epidemic, which killed almost 800 people worldwide.

Despite the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) declaration on Thursday that the outbreak was a global health emergency, as cases continued to spread outside China, WTO officials said they opposed any move to close China’s borders or restrict Chinese travellers’ access.

On Thursday, the US State Department allowed American diplomatic staff and their families in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu and Guangzhou to leave the country.

Edited by FinChin67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1