Korean cycling champ ‘killed on Chiang Mai road’

webfact

43 minutes ago, elephant45 said:

Having spent a lot of time cycling all over the world, CM is not attractive to me at all. I once saw the Malaysian team going up the Samoeng Rd and they had guys next to each other like they owned the road and I put the horn on them. How stupid and arrogant. The guy gave me the finger. Back in the states we always rode single file, and the guy in back would come up to the front for a while to block the wind, a continual process. Side by side forget it and I seee farangs in CM doing it. Crazy to me.

That doesn't make much sense as you just described a classic paceline

In which case they also are basically side by side.

As you said the guy in back would come up to the front for a while to block the wind, a continual process

Unless your saying the buy in back bunny hopped other riders to get to the front then they were also side by side ????

images.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

It's almost as if they have a grudge against anyone who is fit enough to exert themselves physically.

Dear Suzannegoh:

I am an avid mountain bike rider in rural Thailand and I understand the point you are making. Whenever I go bicycling I am hyper vigilant and carefully consider traffic patterns beforehand to minimize the risk. Unfortunately, however, the above sentence quoted from your post perfectly describes the attitude of about 1% of the drivers on Thai roads as well.

A cyclist unaware of the realities of Thailand's roads (and who assumes that normal motorist etiquette towards cyclists can be relied upon) is definitely at greater risk than they realize. The idea that you can safely hop on the saddle anytime anywhere in Thailand, in my opinion, is simply naive. I would not recommend Thailand as a cycling tourism destination, period.

Edited by Gecko123

19 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Has anyone ever been killed on a motorbike here?  Whenever there's a bicycling fatality reported in ThaiVisa all the curmudgeons  pop out of the woodwork to condemn the stupidity of anyone who would dare to bicycle in Thailand but strangely they remain silent about the stupidity of riding a motorbike here.  It's almost as if they have a grudge against anyone who is fit enough to exert themselves physically.

I was killed on a motorbike, but fortunately recovered.

Training on these roads in this smog? 

20 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Has anyone ever been killed on a motorbike here?  Whenever there's a bicycling fatality reported in ThaiVisa all the curmudgeons  pop out of the woodwork to condemn the stupidity of anyone who would dare to bicycle in Thailand but strangely they remain silent about the stupidity of riding a motorbike here.  It's almost as if they have a grudge against anyone who is fit enough to exert themselves physically.

Yes I'm sure the recent POTY died on a motor bike he was later revived,I suggest you read his  fascinating story penned by Rooster.

3 hours ago, elephant45 said:

Having spent a lot of time cycling all over the world, CM is not attractive to me at all. I once saw the Malaysian team going up the Samoeng Rd and they had guys next to each other like they owned the road and I put the horn on them. How stupid and arrogant. The guy gave me the finger. Back in the states we always rode single file, and the guy in back would come up to the front for a while to block the wind, a continual process. Side by side forget it and I seee farangs in CM doing it. Crazy to me.

Good motorcyclists generally ride two wide but staggered so the outside guys can make it single file if need be.

Edited by VocalNeal

22 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Dear Suzannegoh:

I am an avid mountain bike rider in rural Thailand and I understand the point you are making. Whenever I go bicycling I am hyper vigilant and carefully consider traffic patterns beforehand to minimize the risk. Unfortunately, however, the above sentence quoted from your post perfectly describes the attitude of about 1% of the drivers on Thai roads as well.

A cyclist unaware of the realities of Thailand's roads (and who assumes that normal motorist etiquette towards cyclists can be relied upon) is definitely at greater risk than they realize. The idea that you can safely hop on the saddle anytime anywhere in Thailand, in my opinion, is simply naive. I would not recommend Thailand as a cycling tourism destination, period.

I cycled around 1000km the last December in Southern Thailand and Malaysia. Donsak - Songkhla - Langkawi - Satun - Lanta/Krabi. Wonderful countryside, very friendly people. No road or other dangers whatsoever.

• Thanks 2

Even the once quiet back roads have become dangerous, as thais now use them to avoid the traffic, not uncommon to see tour buses and mini vans speeding using both lanes as they round corners....SAD

• Like 1